Should Bills players go on podcasts and break down plays and even their own MO in detail?

StHustle

38 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This is on the Patriots* website. Thad brown is an idiot. Cover1 is doing nothing wrong

I agree with all three statements, but Belicheat is breaking down the Dolphins, not the Pats.  He certainly isn't giving anything away.

5 minutes ago, StHustle said:

MUCH different when the player themselves is breaking everything down. Leaves nothing to the imagination. Hodgins fully broke down how he thinks and makes decisions on plays. Just seems totally unnecessary to gift wrap this info for opponents.

He came a lot closer to giving stuff away than Lil Dirty did.  I like Cover 1 and I like that the Bills are allowed to participate.  The generic stuff about what happened on a particular rep is good for us to learn, but is certainly already well understood by everyone in the league.  When you start giving out your own personal "rules" like - this look here means my QB will throw it there and I know it pre-snap, now you are giving away something that can only be guessed by looking at tons of film and coming to that assumption - even then it is still an assumption.

I've not seen any of our guys give away that info, but Hodgins was much closer to the line.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Right, but why not force them to do the work.  If you're doing the work for them, then they can focus on other areas.   While they may know it, they still had to go through the process of figuring it out.

I absolutely hate the idea of these guys going on these shows and breaking down the plays.   Its the NFL, dont give anyone anything.

Regardless of having the Bills players breakdowns.. every team will be doing the work regardless. They will rely much more heavily on their own breakdown than anything they get from this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

I tried to make this thread last night but it was inappropriately merged with a thread on totally different subject matter.

When Thad Brown hated on Cover 1 last week, I wasn’t a fan of how he went about it and thought it was sour grapes. However, while watching the broadcast last night that featured Hodgins, I became more and more uncomfortable with how much he was sharing. 

THIS IS NOT A HODGINS POST…it’s a post focused on how much is considered safe to share on a show like this. Here is my original post for reference:

I'm not too concerned with someone who's a question to make the final roster 

I'm not too worried.  These are reactive concepts that are probably pretty uniform across the league for WRs.  Now, if a guy is giving up the gameplan the week of the game, I'd be worried.  Also, I trust that McDermott is on top of this kind of stuff and would nip it in the bud if he had any concerns.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So the title of the topic is misleading then, you're not asking anything.

Not true…the arguments show me people didn’t watch the video. I’m looking for an argument besides “people would know this information anyway” which isn’t true if you actually watch the video.

15 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

He came a lot closer to giving stuff away than Lil Dirty did.  I like Cover 1 and I like that the Bills are allowed to participate.  The generic stuff about what happened on a particular rep is good for us to learn, but is certainly already well understood by everyone in the league.  When you start giving out your own personal "rules" like - this look here means my QB will throw it there and I know it pre-snap, now you are giving away something that can only be guessed by looking at tons of film and coming to that assumption - even then it is still an assumption.

I've not seen any of our guys give away that info, but Hodgins was much closer to the line.

Thank you!!! Someone who actually watched the video!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm not too worried.  These are reactive concepts that are probably pretty uniform across the league for WRs.  Now, if a guy is giving up the gameplan the week of the game, I'd be worried.  Also, I trust that McDermott is on top of this kind of stuff and would nip it in the bud if he had any concerns.  

I believe he will definitely hear about this from the coaches. He said entirely too much. He spoke on which formations have variations and which don’t. Also explained specifically how the routes change based on specific coverages and looks. He explained his very own decision making process based on how the defender is playing him. What sense does it make to break down the specific nuances on how you win your routes??

For those saying teams wouldn’t use a podcast interview of a player breaking down his own tendencies…you’re a fool!

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Regardless of having the Bills players breakdowns.. every team will be doing the work regardless. They will rely much more heavily on their own breakdown than anything they get from this.

My point is why make their work easier?  I cant find the article, and maybe its from a book I read, but part of Belichick's weekly routine is reading the upcoming opponents local reporters.   I think its incredibly naive to think this doesnt help other teams.   Keep it in house.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Not true…the arguments show me people didn’t watch the video. I’m looking for an argument besides “people would know this information anyway” which isn’t true if you actually watch the video.

I've got no problem with the thread.  I think it's interesting and worthwhile to discuss.  I think those of us who are relatively unconcerned think of it as this: even if Hodgins is sharing what he believes are his very specific personal tendencies (or team formation/route variations), he got them from somewhere, past WR coaching, past experience, etc., that are knowable to most every WR and WR coach across the league.  And god forbid that isn't the case, the likelihood that he ever sees truly meaningful snaps is so damn low it's almost not worth worrying about.  But, this is just my opinion.  You could very well be correct and McDermott is chewing him out as we type (or preparing for his release).

The video of any play tells the story for any football coach that takes the time to watch it.  They don't need to hear a player talk his way through the play or formation.  The context of the play (field position, down and distance, game score, etc.) also sheds a lot of light on the team's strategy.  None of this guarantees that the team will do the same thing in a future similar circumstance.  Therefore, all of this sounds like much to do about nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Its two sided, most teams know more about their opponents than we fans realize, but divulging any info is not a good move, also Beane and McDermott would jerk a knot in anyones azs if they were saying to much.

GO  Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Last Guy on the Bench said:

The things they are talking about (e.g., reading leverage) are basic and generic for a professional. Even the most junior opposing coach or player would already know all of this from a glance at film (and from their own systems).

This. 👆

What's eye-opening to the OP, is just SOP to players and coaches.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Every team has coaches - if not players - with virtual Ph.D.'s in scheme, player tendencies, and all that.

I don't think BB, for example, would learn anything from this show that he didn't already know.

exactly ^^^^^

pro teams have an army of people breaking down film and tendencies. If I were a Bills coach I would tell players to make up stuff that is not true. The. Let the experts see if they can figure it out. Counterintelligence at its finest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, StHustle said:

For those saying teams wouldn’t use a podcast interview of a player breaking down his own tendencies…you’re a fool!

So, essentially, you are looking for people to support and join you in your hand wringing, and, if they don't, or if they disagree with you in some way, you will dismiss them as fools...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

So, essentially, you are looking for people to support and join you in your hand wringing, and, if they don't, or if they disagree with you in some way, you will dismiss them as fools...

No but it’s definitely foolish and naive to think an actual Bills player breaking down scheme wouldn’t be used by the opposition. Thad Brown suggested cover 1s coverage that didn’t even include players was giving away too much. It clearly is a thing.

Similar to how people on here don’t think players read these boards. I know for a FACT a number of them do! 

• StHustle changed the title to Should Bills players go on podcasts and break down plays and even their own MO in detail? WELL IT HAPPENED!
Just now, StHustle said:

No but it’s definitely foolish and naive to think an actual Bills player breaking down scheme wouldn’t be used by the opposition. Thad Brown suggested cover 1s coverage that didn’t even include players was giving away too much. It clearly is a thing.

Similar to how people on here don’t think players read these boards. I know for a FACT a number of them do! 

I get what you are saying, and I agree that there are lines that shouldn't be crossed. I watched the video and I just don't believe this rises to that level.

• Like (+1) 2

• Simon changed the title to Should Bills players go on podcasts and break down plays and even their own MO in detail?
1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

My point is why make their work easier?  I cant find the article, and maybe its from a book I read, but part of Belichick's weekly routine is reading the upcoming opponents local reporters.   I think its incredibly naïve to think this doesn't help other teams.   Keep it in house.

No one said any of the things you're refuting here. Also, if you're going to put forth something without some sort of source.. whether it's true or not.. how do you expect people to take you seriously? Please hang up and try again.

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

I tried to make this thread last night but it was inappropriately merged with a thread on totally different subject matter.

When Thad Brown hated on Cover 1 last week, I wasn’t a fan of how he went about it and thought it was sour grapes. However, while watching the broadcast last night that featured Hodgins, I became more and more uncomfortable with how much he was sharing. 

THIS IS NOT A HODGINS POST…it’s a post focused on how much is considered safe to share on a show like this. Here is my original post for reference:

Maybe change the title if you don't want opinions? Making your title a question implies you want dialogue with different viewpoints vs just exposing your view and acting patronizing and condescending to others for theirs (aka "fool").

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.