Was that Zach Moss run actually impressive?

transplantbillsfan

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

If completely healthy, and it looks like he is, he's making the team. 

The Motor/Moss/Cook combo is a pretty nice young trio that each bring a specific skill set to the table. 

Are we sure Moss makes it? As Raheem Blackshear showed he can pound it from inside the 20 and also can be a return man on ST so brings more to the table. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Moss traded for a draft pick to a RB needy team. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the bit that still worries me. Not just because of the bad performance of the 2s/3s on Saturday but because of the outstanding concerns there were from last year with that group. Hopefully they are better but it still looks like the weakest starting unit on the team to me. 

I just don't think we have any way of knowing right now. 

It's hilarious to me, listening to Bills content creators discuss the OL after Preseason Game 1, when our Top 7 didn't play and OL8 (likely Ford) only played a handful of snaps.  I guess we can analyze Kromer's concepts and Doyle, who's still a project.. but everyone else is a cut or PS body.   

This OL, on paper, is a 10-20 group on any given day.  They have the potential to be Top 10 if Saffold is healthy and Bates/Brown make any kind of jump. 

Edited by SCBills

Wayyyyyyy too much is being made of his 27 yard run.  

He was never getting cut or traded unless he had a terrible camp.  Which he has not had, so he’s pretty safe for the 53 unless some other team with an injury calls with a decent trade offer.  

But it’s going to be Devin leading this backfield and getting starter touches with Cook mixing in some runs and lots of work as a pass catcher.  Moss will backup Devin, and will get some touches, but Devin will get the lions share of the rush attempts.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The Motor/Moss/Cook combo is a pretty nice young trio that each bring a specific skill set to the table. 

Yep, and Taiwan for ST and Gilliam.  They like him as they value his versatility.  The others are PS or gone.

Moss does look better this year another year removed from the ankle injury.  Is he the reincarnation of B Sanders, no, but he has power in short yardage.

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Wayyyyyyy too much is being made of his 27 yard run.  

He was never getting cut or traded unless he had a terrible camp.  Which he has not had, so he’s pretty safe for the 53 unless some other team with an injury calls with a decent trade offer.  

But it’s going to be Devin leading this backfield and getting starter touches with Cook mixing in some runs and lots of work as a pass catcher.  Moss will backup Devin, and will get some touches, but Devin will get the lions share of the rush attempts.  

Pretty much this - Moss might not dress some games too.  

Here's a fun stat - in the top 10 of 2021 carries:

Henry played 8 games

Montgomery played 13

Chubb played 14

Kamara 13

Cook 13

Gibson and Mixon both played 16

Its not likely that a back plays every game.  Its also not likely that they don't get dinged up and touch the ball less than normal in a stretch.  

Zach Moss made chicken salad out of chicken sh-t on that play, he did very well on that snap. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come, as well consider that he was behind the 3rd team O-line. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm neither conservative nor liberal on this issue...  I'm solidly, independently in the middle.

It was not a great play.  A faster, more fluid back with better vision would have gotten to the left more quickly and gracefully.  Still, he deserves credit for getting there eventually and picking up some yards.  

I really think this team should move Moss ASAP why he may have some value.

Because I truly loathe the idea of 'running back by committee' yet again this year when I feel that Singletary should be locked in as RB1 and Cook spelling him/being the WR option out of the backfield.

Keeping Moss here ruins that plan and wastes valuable carries.

I thought Moss looked great in that game.  His burst was noticeably better from last year.

Moss is an interesting back.  He has a goal line/short yardage body, but is also very good in the passing game, both pass pro and pass catching. 

Seems pretty much locked in as RB3/Short Yardage Back.  It's not a small thing if he, along with a potentially better OL, allow those short yardage/red zone Josh Allen runs become Zack Moss runs.  It's time to protect the best QB in the NFL, and having him be our short yardage back in the regular season is ridiculous.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Would help to post the vid for folks…

…but yeah I agree. Wasn’t the prettiest play and had he got off clean maybe he scores…OR he got even more yards cause running into his blocker moved a few defenders out of place to make the tackle sooner (don’t have access to all 22). Wasn’t like he did it on purpose tho so it was def clumsy but he still had one of the longest runs of the weekend. 

Again his vision is still mediocre. He just ran right into a wall of blockers rather then plant his foot and head left. The only reason he ended up left is because he bounced that direction. He did show an improved burst on those two 5yd runs.  We'll see?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Moss played well enough as a rookie in 2020 to take lead back duties from Motor, then he busted up his ankle in the Colts playoff game.  Watch his2020 highlight reel and you see a lot of broken tackles, yards after contact and moving of the pile.  He also shows better speed than last season, good vision in the open field and a nose for the end zone.  Obviously these are the highlights and we aren't seeing any of the bad Moss, but he showed enough as a rookie to create some legitimate buzz going into year 2.  According to Beane, Moss was never fully healthy last year though, so the drop off can at least be explained.   Hopefully we're getting the 2020 Moss this season.

But if you look deeper Motor was better across the board. The only reason Moss got playing time was we changed blocking schemes and it fit him better, even though Singletary out produced him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Were the plays where Moss picked up chunks of yardage running behind guys that will be bagging groceries in a few weeks, against the Colts' 1st string d-line, which is one of the best in the league...actually impressive?

Yes, yes I believe they were.

8 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

On paper, sounds nice. But rarely doss the 3 RB rotation turn out that great for any of them. 

None get significant enough reps, one guy inevitably gets buried (sometimes just inactive on game day), & it's just hard to get somebody in rhythm. 

Not necessarily against it, only that it's been kind of underwhelming most the time. 

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Again his vision is still mediocre. He just ran right into a wall of blockers rather then plant his foot and head left. The only reason he ended up left is because he bounced that direction. He did show an improved burst on those two 5yd runs.  We'll see?

I'm not saying he's a star, but as I said earlier, he didn't run into a wall.  He was running where the play was designed to take him, and the blocker both lost the one-on-one battle and allowed the defender to get the outside edge on him.   Moss ran where he was supposed to run, and the defender made a good play.

Now, maybe that analysis isn't quite right.  Maybe Moss wasn't patient enough - maybe the blocker has the option to take his man left and or right, and Moss was supposed to wait and then cut the other way.  Instead, he got too close and made contact with the blocker who was engaged with the defender.   However, if he was supposed to wait to read the block, then he wasn't supposed to cut earlier.  As McDermott always says, they have things to learn from every play, even 27-yard gains.  The blocker has to do better, and Moss has to understand better how to run the play.  

Meanwhile, the entire right side of the defense was well under control, because when Moss bounced (literally) outside, he had plenty of daylight. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

But if you look deeper Motor was better across the board. The only reason Moss got playing time was we changed blocking schemes and it fit him better, even though Singletary out produced him. 

I don't know that's true, but I don't doubt you.   

But that is at the core of what McDermott does (and it's what Belichick does, too), which is to adjust the style of play to the capabilities of the players.  

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know that's true, but I don't doubt you.   

But that is at the core of what McDermott does (and it's what Belichick does, too), which is to adjust the style of play to the capabilities of the players.  

Sometimes. They've forced square pegs into round holes at times. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.