Was that Zach Moss run actually impressive?

transplantbillsfan

39 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

He looked like the 2020 Moss who we were all impressed with, gaining chunk yards after contact...if if it was contact with his own team.

He wasn't impressive in 2020 though. He had a guy on the radio say he was gonna draft him earlier than he was ranked in fantasy drafts and a lot of people who never watched him thought he was the second coming of Jim Brown because of it. He hasn't been impressive anywhere he's been. 

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I am far from a Zack Moss lover but he rushed three times for 5, 5, and 27 behind a line so bad that none of the other backs even hit 2 yards per carry and there was only one other run of 5 yards plus in the entire game. So I am gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. 

The most impressive part of 27 probably was the absorption of contact and the maintenance of his balance.  He seemed a little quicker than last year on that scamper, too. 

• Like (+1) 2

He was trying to run the play. He was following his blockers until one of his blockers gets knocked back. So yeah, he ran into him. Then he ran to open space.

I have no issue with the run. But you have to say some luck was involved because you don't often run into a blocker (arresting your momentum) and then make anything of the play.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I'm gonna get trolled on this because "dude!!! He gained 27 yards!!!" but is there anyone else who watched that run and wasn't impressed?

Sorry... if you watch the play and his initial read as he follows his block, it just looked like more confirmation he has poor vision as he basically ran into the backside of his blocker who was pretty early and clearly getting stuffed rather than bouncing earlier to the outside left, which he finally and eventually did.

I mean I liked the speed and the play made me excited, but he looked so clumsy and lacking in vision and instincts in the first half of that play, didn't he?

Dude’s lead blocker was getting stood up in the backfield. Usually that results in a bad play for the offense. But Moss stayed composed, cut back, found a great running lane, and showed some good speed getting outside for a huge gain. 

You do you, but that is a Good Run for the RB in my book.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Ford was in for 17 snaps.  From what I could see, gave up 1 pressure and 1 whiffed run block that led to a TFL.

Pretty solid run blocker.  Definitely wasn’t the worst guy out there, but he does tend to ‘point’ himself at the guy he is going to block which probably helps him offset his lack of footwork/foot speed.

I'm gonna get trolled on this because "dude!!! He gained 27 yards!!!" but is there anyone else who watched that run and wasn't impressed?

Sorry... if you watch the play and his initial read as he follows his block, it just looked like more confirmation he has poor vision as he basically ran into the backside of his blocker who was pretty early and clearly getting stuffed rather than bouncing earlier to the outside left, which he finally and eventually did.

I mean I liked the speed and the play made me excited, but he looked so clumsy and lacking in vision and instincts in the first half of that play, didn't he?

The guy got blocked into Moss so yes it was impressive to me..... 

I get OP’s point in that it doesn’t seem Moss did anything exceptional to make the run happen. In other words, it was not successful due to a huge display of talent. But regardless, can’t discount the vision he used to see the cutback. That alone was impressive, especially given how down on Moss many have been. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have been on a roller coaster with Moss:  going between liking him a ton, being completely done with him and everywhere in between. It was nice to see him have a good day but man is he slow lol. It’s noticeable every time he touches the ball. He’s frustratingly slow. I think he will get used quite a bit in the preseason, maybe even to be showcased a little and then be a complete non factor once the games matter. I liked what I saw from Blackshear a lot and Duke looked strong on ST. You already know the other 2 guys are ahead of him here.. I see nowhere for Moss whatsoever when the cuts end.

23 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He wasn't impressive in 2020 though. He had a guy on the radio say he was gonna draft him earlier than he was ranked in fantasy drafts and a lot of people who never watched him thought he was the second coming of Jim Brown because of it. He hasn't been impressive anywhere he's been. 

Moss played well enough as a rookie in 2020 to take lead back duties from Motor, then he busted up his ankle in the Colts playoff game.  Watch his2020 highlight reel and you see a lot of broken tackles, yards after contact and moving of the pile.  He also shows better speed than last season, good vision in the open field and a nose for the end zone.  Obviously these are the highlights and we aren't seeing any of the bad Moss, but he showed enough as a rookie to create some legitimate buzz going into year 2.  According to Beane, Moss was never fully healthy last year though, so the drop off can at least be explained.   Hopefully we're getting the 2020 Moss this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think if Morris (I think it is Morris) doesn't get rocked off his feet there is going to be a lane there and when there isn't he at least has the speed of thought to create. The run blocking was an utter shambles all night. I get it that it was a mix of 2s and 3s up front for us (and at tight end) but I think looking at the running backs is looking in the wrong place. 

You're correct.  Moss was cutting off Morris's right hip, and Morris got stonewalled and actually pushed back a bit.  Plus, the defender was shading to the outside.  Moss was making the right cut, assuming Morris does his job.   That's how the whole team operates - I do my job, you do your job, and everything will be fine.  But the defense is doing its job, too, and in that case the defender did his job better than Morris.  

At that point, Moss had to improvise.  No, he didn't look like Barry Sanders making the cut, but there are no style points in football.  He had to find someplace to run, and he did that. 

Let's remember, Moss is supposed to be a one cut power back.  That kind of change of direction is not his specialty, and he did it effectively.   And the speed he showed was encouraging.  

Hard to criticize that run.  

More important, so far as I was concerned, was that both Moss and Cook weren't in the game long.   There have been positive reports out of camp about both of them, and the fact that they were pulled early confirmed those reports.   The coaches saw solid, positive plays from both of them, and that was all they needed.  

And more generally, one by one the Bills seem to be answering the questions at position after position.   Running back was a mild concern (because Cook's a rook and Moss was a question mark).  Check that box.   Cornerback was a big question, and there still is a way to go, but it seems like that box can be checked (subject to White's return).  Offensive line seems to be coming together.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

Offensive line seems to be coming together.  

This is the bit that still worries me. Not just because of the bad performance of the 2s/3s on Saturday but because of the outstanding concerns there were from last year with that group. Hopefully they are better but it still looks like the weakest starting unit on the team to me. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Son of a K-Gun said:

Moss played well enough as a rookie in 2020 to take lead back duties from Motor, then he busted up his ankle in the Colts playoff game.  Watch his2020 highlight reel and you see a lot of broken tackles, yards after contact and moving of the pile.  He also shows better speed than last season, good vision in the open field and a nose for the end zone.  Obviously these are the highlights and we aren't seeing any of the bad Moss, but he showed enough as a rookie to create some legitimate buzz going into year 2.  According to Beane, Moss was never fully healthy last year though, so the drop off can at least be explained.   Hopefully we're getting the 2020 Moss this season.

Thanks for this.  He was better than I remember.  His work in hole is really quite good.  

You can see how important effective interior line blocking is to the Bills' running game - both Singletary and Moss do a good job finding their way if they have a little space to work with.   I think we'll see Cook can do it, too.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This is the bit that still worries me. Not just because of the bad performance of the 2s/3s on Saturday but because of the outstanding concerns there were from last year with that group. Hopefully they are better but it still looks like the weakest starting unit on the team to me. 

I hear you.  I just commented about how the backs need the line to create interior space for them to work, and we certainly didn't see that last season.  

It's clear that the Bills don't favor the bulldozers up front; it's a finesse line.   Dawkins, Morse, Bates, and Brown all make plays by being mobile.   I don't know much about Saffold, but I understand he is a quality run blocker.  In theory, they should be able to make it work, but we haven't seen the theory in practice yet.  And when it's fourth and one on the Tennessee two yard line with time running out, it still isn't the line that will blow the dline into the end zone.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think if Morris (I think it is Morris) doesn't get rocked off his feet there is going to be a lane there and when there isn't he at least has the speed of thought to create. The run blocking was an utter shambles all night. I get it that it was a mix of 2s and 3s up front for us (and at tight end) but I think looking at the running backs is looking in the wrong place. 

A lot of the criticism for Moss last season was on a lot of the same types of thing.  "He didn't read it right" - which to me could mean A- He didn't read it correctly, or B- They didn't block it correctly. 

Singletary had a few nice games as the year went on, but they were against atlanta and the jets.  Played well in NE as well.  They more emphasized giving him touches than him being especially effective.  He had 16 ore more touches 4 times last year and it was in 4 of the last 6 games.  The Touchdowns were a nice touch for fantasy purposes, and generally for Josh Allen healthiness :-).

Moss broke more tackles on fewer carries, and had probably the worst yards before contact in the NFL.  Some of that can be tied to lacking some burst maybe on the ankle, or some indecisiveness etc.  But 1.5 yards before contact per attempt?  Worse than Najee Harris, Saquan Barkley, Mattison etc.  Its among the worst numbers in the league.  The offensive line didn't block well for him (or singletary for that matter). 

However the league leader in attempts/broken tackle was javonte williams at 6.5, and if Moss met the threshold to qualify (he only had 96 carries) he would have been 2nd at 6.9.  Moss 8.6 att/br in 2020 was 4th in the league behind Montgomery, Gibson, and Mike Davis.  He's still a load to bring down, he just needs to get a little juice to get to the hole a bit faster maybe?  I wouldn't give up on him though.  

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Nelius said:

I'll have to rewatch because I didn't notice the clumsiness initially. I think the run and his general stat line is being considered impressive in the sense that he looked pretty solid overall and many discounted him earlier as a cut, so now there's over compensation in the other direction. I personally think he's going to not only make the team but be a surprising goal line force. I called earlier that he'd have at least 8 overall regular season TDs.

It's impressive in that the OLine out there was hot garbage 

And you watched that 27 yard run live and thought it was a good initial read?

He went where the play was supposed to go until the LB blew up the lead blocker.

Blame the lead blocker for not getting out fast enough. Blame the LB for making a good play. But Moss was doing exactly what he was supposed to do, and then made a good, very quick change.

What else is he supposed to do? Assume before the snap that his lead blocker is going to get blown up and run the wrong direction from the snap?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.