Was that Zach Moss run actually impressive?

transplantbillsfan

20 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

I also don't see Motor in the same like as if a Chubb, Henry or Taylor were FA's but if he puts out close to 1k rushing as you said some team will pay more than Buffalo is willing. I do think Cook can be a lead back in a 70/30 split with a RB2 but he has to prove he's more the a pass catching RB. 

Yes, Cook could surprise us and rise to that kind of role.  That's his true upside.   I don't think that will happen.   What I think is more likely is that he could end up in a role sort of like Darren Sproles in his prime.  Not exactly like Sproles, but a similar role, a guy who isn't the primary guy, but he's a third-down back+.   I think he could be a guy who sees 30-40% of offensive snaps, a guy who in some ways is more dangerous than the actual starter.   Being as impactful as Sproles is his other true upside.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I think a lot of people are underestimating Moss' potential when healthy.

This is from before the 2020 draft.

Utah's Zack Moss forced a missed tackle on 38% of rushes in 2019. Most among any RB with 150+ carries in a season since 2014.

On top of over 1,400 rushing yards and 15 tds in his final collegiate season, Moss also had 28 receptions for 388 receiving yards and two touchdowns. 

He also led his draft class in yards after contact. 

I won't be surprised if he breaks out.

• Like (+1) 3

On 8/17/2022 at 4:02 AM, DrDawkinstein said:

He went where the play was supposed to go until the LB blew up the lead blocker.

Blame the lead blocker for not getting out fast enough. Blame the LB for making a good play. But Moss was doing exactly what he was supposed to do, and then made a good, very quick change.

What else is he supposed to do? Assume before the snap that his lead blocker is going to get blown up and run the wrong direction from the snap?

Guess I'm in the severe minority.

I don't have a problem with Moss's speed or power... well... actually I think his power is overrated. As I type this I would say Moss is faster than I thought he'd be coming out of college but with less power.

Ya know who he actually reminds me of? Devin Singletary with poorer vision... which was basically what I was getting at on that play. I don't think Singletary runs into the back of Morris like that and he makes the same play. And this isn't me touting Singletary as Barry Sanders... if anything for me it's just more of an indictment of Moss considering Singletary is, at best, an average RB.

On 8/17/2022 at 4:11 AM, The Jokeman said:

Are we sure Moss makes it? As Raheem Blackshear showed he can pound it from inside the 20 and also can be a return man on ST so brings more to the table. I wouldn't be shocked if we see Moss traded for a draft pick to a RB needy team. 

I would prefer Blackshear as RB3 myself

On 8/17/2022 at 9:29 AM, Son of a K-Gun said:

More Moss power running from early last year…this is the player that needs to show up.

I've seen Singletary do similar things in the running game.

Again... I guess he's fine as RB3, but I just think he's a poor man's Devin Singletary. And if he has any value in the trade market, why not exploit it?

I thought he looked fairly slow in the open field? 

Hopefully James Cook is 90% of his brother 

I'd trade Moss for a 4th if any team is desperate for an RB

Something to ponder.....the Bills supposedly offered a trade for Christian McCaffrey and Panthers said no.

If Carolina is tanking by the deadline.....we'd have to get creative but this team adding OBJ and McCaffrey for the stretch run would be quite something

Moss, a 2nd and a 5th should be enough.  your RB's next year would be 

McCaffrey
Cook

Blackshear

Edited by Warriorspikes51

31 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I thought he looked fairly slow in the open field? 

Hopefully James Cook is 90% of his brother 

I'd trade Moss for a 4th if any team is desperate for an RB

Something to ponder.....the Bills supposedly offered a trade for Christian McCaffrey and Panthers said no.

If Carolina is tanking by the deadline.....we'd have to get creative but this team adding OBJ and McCaffrey for the stretch run would be quite something

Moss, a 2nd and a 5th should be enough.  your RB's next year would be 

McCaffrey
Cook

Blackshear

I'm interested to see what the Bills envision Cook as. 

They've tried to cheaply address a pass-catching running back with veterans - TJ Yeldon, Matt Breida, signing JD McKissic. 

But there is no evidence that pass-catching RB's are a big part of the Bills offense. And why would I want that? Josh Allen dumping down more? 

I don't want the 2019 Carolina Panthers, where Christian McCaffery was their offense. Catching 116 passes, running the ball 287 times. It's the Saints dilemma now with Alvin Kamara dominating touches. It's 2007-2008 Buffalo Bills pop-gun football. 

The Bills got better immediately last year when they benched Moss, and picked the correct RB (Singletary) and fed him the ball when the chose to run. 

17 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

They've tried to cheaply address a pass-catching running back with veterans - TJ Yeldon, Matt Breida, signing JD McKissic. 

But there is no evidence that pass-catching RB's are a big part of the Bills offense. And why would I want that? Josh Allen dumping down more? 

I don't want the 2019 Carolina Panthers, where Christian McCaffery was their offense. Catching 116 passes, running the ball 287 times. It's the Saints dilemma now with Alvin Kamara dominating touches. It's 2007-2008 Buffalo Bills pop-gun football. 

The Bills got better immediately last year when they benched Moss, and picked the correct RB (Singletary) and fed him the ball when the chose to run. 

I don't care whos getting the ball. If Cook turns into McCaffery the Bills are in the Superbowl. 

He's allowed 2 per year 1 in the preseason & 1 in the real season .

I think i would rather have Blackshear over Moss since seeing what he did in that last game . If he has another game like that i would really rather him than Moss !! 

Edited by T master

42 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

With our WRs running intermendiate and deep routes the underneath stuff is ripe for YAC from the RB position and the slot. 

That means teams will quickly try to cheat up to stop that if its working well which means the intermediate/deep routes should have more room.

Its a balance and I don't think with Josh we ever have to worry about relying on the underneath stuff, its just a real nice safety valve. With the dynamics of JA and the offence I see it creating more trouble for opposing Ds

Edited by ddaryl

36 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I certainly don't either (although adding him via trade would be quite interesting)

There are a lot of advantageous matchups if Cook can be motioned out wide/run routes like he did in college.  Also Allen dumping off to Cook on screens could really add to our YAC and it also eliminates Josh taking extra punishment while running. 

I know Josh's legs are a huge asset....but ideally we could limit that at least somewhat and then catch opposing defenses in the playoffs by UNLEASHING him to run 15 times per game 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I certainly don't either (although adding him via trade would be quite interesting)

There are a lot of advantageous matchups if Cook can be motioned out wide/run routes like he did in college.  Also Allen dumping off to Cook on screens could really add to our YAC and it also eliminates Josh taking extra punishment while running. 

I know Josh's legs are a huge asset....but ideally we could limit that at least somewhat and then catch opposing defenses in the playoffs by UNLEASHING him to run 15 times per game 

I think that Josh Allen is the ultimate football player. Not just QB. Do you remember when #12 was said to have the arm of an NFL QB but the mentality of a linebacker? Josh Allen to me is a Complete football player who will do whatever he can to WIN. Period. He has the competitiveness and both physical and mental gifts to make things happen with his legs and especially his arm and choosing which play will work best. He has benefit of all the weapons present on this team. It gives me goosebumps

• Agree 2

Moss is a good pass blocker, I do think his power/toughness is overrated. He just doesn't excite me.  I guess he was decent as a receiving back.  Hopefully he proves me wrong when given the chance

Singletary was good down the stretch last year he was playing like a top 10 back for half a dozen games. 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.