Help me understand an OBJ trade

Behindenemylines

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree with you on his play at the end of last season.  The thing is, will he return the same way after another ACL injury.

He has to pass a thorough physical and prove he still has it during a detailed workout.  If he can then I can see a contender signing him.

That’s why I think he will play out the year with a contender instead of sitting out the year as some have suggested. He needs to prove that he’s healthy if he wants someone to cut the big check next year. It’ll be interesting. 

3 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Has he matured to where he will be a team player? 

Is he a Process guy?

He was going to be the Super Bowl MVP. Don’t read into that fake nonsense. NO TEAM is in position to turn their noses to OBJ. The defending Super Bowl Champs have left his locker open in an attempt to recruit him back. Don’t overthink it. It isn’t complicated. The only people buying into that media-generated narrative are simpletons. The Bills will add him in 1 second if he is healthy and the price is right. That holds true for every contender in the league. KC is a (dangerous) sleeper IMO if he’s ready to go.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

He was going to be the Super Bowl MVP. Don’t read into that fake nonsense. NO TEAM is in position to turn their noses to OBJ. The defending Super Bowl Champs have left his locker open in an attempt to recruit him back. Don’t overthink it. It isn’t complicated. The only people buying into that media-generated narrative are simpletons. The Bills will add him in 1 second if he is healthy and the price is right. That holds true for every contender in the league. KC is a (dangerous) sleeper IMO if he’s ready to go.

Indeed I think the position he is likely to be in is perfect for Buffalo. We do not want to commit long term to OBJ. I'm pretty sure on that. We have Diggs, if Gabe has the year we all hope and most expect then he will need paying too. What we want from OBJ is a short deal for this year to help us make the run at the end of the year. He needs that to prove he is healthy to get a big deal next year. 

Given that, it doesn't strike me that you need a process guy. This is like a 3 month rental. Not a guy you are making a core part of your locker room.

• Like (+1) 2

If OBJ is 100, and wants to come here, we would be stupid not to sign him. It would be another elite weapon for Josh and someone else that defenses have to account for. Is he the "missing piece" that gets us a ring? I think that has already been addressed, and it was on the defensive side of the football. Still, he would be one heck of a complimentary piece to an offense that already looks like it will be hard to handle for any team in the NFL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Has he matured to where he will be a team player? 

Is he a Process guy?

I posted this in another OBJ thread, but the more I hear and read about OBJ I think he is a really solid dude.  I’d have absolutely no concerns about him coming into the Bills locker room.  The culture there self-corrects anyway.  It’s a non-issue.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/6/2022 at 11:23 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s why I think he will play out the year with a contender instead of sitting out the year as some have suggested. He needs to prove that he’s healthy if he wants someone to cut the big check next year. It’ll be interesting. 

False, it was always going to be Kupp

• Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

He also picked Kirk Cousins for league MVP....

On the one hand I kind of respect going with something besides one of the obvious favorites on the other hand that's about as terrible a prediction as the Cowboys getting to the Super Bowl.

Edited by Warcodered

On 9/7/2022 at 5:51 AM, eball said:

I posted this in another OBJ thread, but the more I hear and read about OBJ I think he is a really solid dude.  I’d have absolutely no concerns about him coming into the Bills locker room.  The culture there self-corrects anyway.  It’s a non-issue.

I called him yesterday and we had a long  conversation.  I can confirm that he would be an outstanding member of the team and the community. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

He also picked Kirk Cousins for league MVP....

good for him.

He’s not the only one from what I saw. 

1. remind me of the last NFL MVP QB that won a SB that season?

2.  remind me of the last QB who lead the league in passing yards that won a SN that season?

the answer is the same for both. 

(not offensive MVP or defensive MVP)

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

good for him.

He’s not the only one from what I saw. 

1. remind me of the last MVP QB that won a SB that season?

2.  remind me of the last QB who lead the league in passing yards that won a SN that season?

the answer is the same for both. 

Remind me why you're so defensive over criticism of Michael Irvin?

I think its pretty safe to say its time to put an end to the OBJ is a locker room issue.  He hasn't had a single incident since NY, and even then, we don't know if it was more over blown stuff like Diggs in Minnesota was or if he was just that much of a problem.  

But players in Cleveland talked about what a great teammate he was and same with the Rams.  

Signing OBJ or not has literally 0% to do with if he is a good locker room fit, he clearly isn't going to be a problem.  Why people keep talking about it is puzzling, it is literally not part of the equation deciding on signing him or not.  

The only real question is does signing OBJ make football sense between his injury recovery (OJ Howard still struggling to find his athletic gifts again and his torn ACL was before OBJ's) and roster make up.  Davis looks poised for a monster breakout, and we have 3 guys who look like they can be great at slot with Josh already.  So by the time OBJ is ready, if we don't have injury issues, it may not make sense to bring in a guy fresh off a torn ACL who doesn't know our offense and doesn't have any experience with Josh.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think its pretty safe to say its time to put an end to the OBJ is a locker room issue.  He hasn't had a single incident since NY, and even then, we don't know if it was more over blown stuff like Diggs in Minnesota was or if he was just that much of a problem.  

But players in Cleveland talked about what a great teammate he was and same with the Rams.  

Signing OBJ or not has literally 0% to do with if he is a good locker room fit, he clearly isn't going to be a problem.  Why people keep talking about it is puzzling, it is literally not part of the equation deciding on signing him or not.  

The only real question is does signing OBJ make football sense between his injury recovery (OJ Howard still struggling to find his athletic gifts again and his torn ACL was before OBJ's) and roster make up.  Davis looks poised for a monster breakout, and we have 3 guys who look like they can be great at slot with Josh already.  So by the time OBJ is ready, if we don't have injury issues, it may not make sense to bring in a guy fresh off a torn ACL who doesn't know our offense and doesn't have any experience with Josh.  

Howard tore his Achilles I think?

I would love OBJ as late season insurance (hopefully everyone stays healthy) and because no defense can handle our 3 or 4 WR set at that point 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Any deal we sign him to will be a 2 month rental with virtually no risk.  He gets to ring chase and we get a risk-free option on big play OBJ.  If hes back to 90% speed by the playoffs, just having him out there for 10 snaps a game to give the defense something to think about is worth it in my opinion

He jumped in and immediately played meaningful snaps in LA while having no time with their playbook.  Look at Week 11 and beyond.  

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts  

I get the idea of disruption of the core offense but hasn't been much of an issue in Tampa or LA where great receivers joined teams with already potent offenses.

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

Any deal we sign him to will be a 2 month rental with virtually no risk.  He gets to ring chase and we get a risk-free option on big play OBJ.  If hes back to 90% speed by the playoffs, just having him out there for 10 snaps a game to give the defense something to think about is worth it in my opinion

He jumped in and immediately played meaningful snaps in LA while having no time with their playbook.  Look at Week 11 and beyond.  

https://www.lineups.com/nfl/snap-counts  

I get the idea of disruption of the core offense but hasn't been much of an issue in Tampa or LA where great receivers joined teams with already potent offenses.

Not to mention Diggs openly said he wants him 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.