Help me understand an OBJ trade

Behindenemylines

9 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

He will probably play 3 or 4 regular season games + the playoffs, he won't get big bucks on a 1 year deal. 

The last time we saw him play, it looked like he’d be in the running for a Super Bowl MVP…then the injury. I’d certainly consider taking him for late season and playoff games. The more weapons, the better! 

• Agree 1

OBJ does not set foot on an NFL practice field, let alone play a game, without a multiyear deal with some big guaranteed money, imo.  He can't risk another such injury just to bank a handful of game checks and some even smaller post season ones at the tail end of the 2022 season which is the type of deal many are suggesting.  I can't see him going for that, he'd be better off waiting until the offseason, proving he's healthy and then getting one last big deal with a commensurate bonus and starting fresh in 2023.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.e08c04736d8c7b2d6f99e1376ef1065e.png

Odell Beckham Jr. has been pretty open about his interest in joining either the Los Angeles Rams or Buffalo Bills this season. Though no deal is imminent with either team, those seem to be the frontrunners to land the talented free-agent receiver.

Coincidentally, the Rams will face the Bills in the season opener on Thursday. If Beckham wants a simple way to pick his next team, he should just sign with the winner.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/06/odell-beckham-rams-bills-signing-week-1-game/

I like that he is playing along with all the comments. (and staying in the headlines. He's no dummy...)

12 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

OBJ does not set foot on an NFL practice field, let alone play a game, without a multiyear deal with some big guaranteed money, imo.  He can't risk another such injury just to bank a handful of game checks and some even smaller post season ones at the tail end of the 2022 season which is the type of deal many are suggesting.  I can't see him going for that, he'd be better off waiting until the offseason, proving he's healthy and then getting one last big deal with a commensurate bonus and starting fresh in 2023.

This makes sense.  

13 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I don't think that is true. I think he may be willing to join a team on a short term deal, if he thinks they could get him another ring.  He will be a mercenary once he's "healthy". 

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

He'll be 30 in a few months coming off a major injury and 4 years removed from a 1000 yard season. OBJ's days of commanding a big contract are over unless some GM is desperate enough to give it to him. He'll be a lesser version of late-career TO at this point bouncing from team to team on 1-2 year deals at a couple million a stop. I'd love OBJ, but not as anything more than a 4th WR at this stage of his career. I'm not 100% convinced he's an upgrade over Crowder.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He'll be 30 in a few months coming off a major injury and 4 years removed from a 1000 yard season. OBJ's days of commanding a big contract are over unless some GM is desperate enough to give it to him. He'll be a lesser version of late-career TO at this point bouncing from team to team on 1-2 year deals at a couple million a stop. I'd love OBJ, but not as anything more than a 4th WR at this stage of his career. I'm not 100% convinced he's an upgrade over Crowder.

Totally agree with the first part of this post, spot on.    Not convinced he would be an upgrade over JC?  Hmm... he was well on his way of being last year's Superbowl MVP...  

I am not an OBJ fan but can still respect his skills.  I do get your TO analogy though...  

1 minute ago, dawolv said:

Totally agree with the first part of this post, spot on.    Not convinced he would be an upgrade over JC?  Hmm... he was well on his way of being last year's Superbowl MVP...  

I am not an OBJ fan but can still respect his skills.  I do get your TO analogy though...  

Prior to his potential SB MVP, he had 300 yards over 8 games. Can he ball out for a game? Sure, but lots of guys can, Crowder included. I'm not definitively saying Crowder is better right now, but he has outperformed him the last 3 years which is a long time in a WR's life.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Prior to his potential SB MVP, he had 300 yards over 8 games. Can he ball out for a game? Sure, but lots of guys can, Crowder included. I'm not definitively saying Crowder is better right now, but he has outperformed him the last 3 years which is a long time in a WR's life.

How many tds? I remember him balling out from his first game. How quick we are to forget we lost to the Chiefs in afccg because all our wrs were hurting.

Doesn't hurt to top off the gas tank prior to post season. Do we care about pegulas saving a few bucks on a quarter season insurance policy at minimum, and a SB MVP caliber player at maximum? Terry can dig another well

1 hour ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

There won’t be any big deal unless he can prove he is anywhere close to the player he was when last seen with the Rams. He kind of has to prove it either at the tail end of 2022 or in 2023. But no big multi year deal is on the table for him unless he shows what he can do again. 

• Agree 1

IDK, he probably isn't ready to playoff time, if he can hook with a contender to prove he can play before next year's FA period he may come cheaper than some think.

Sitting out the entire year puts him in a likely situation of teams still wanting a prove it deal. 

It will be an odd situation for sure, a GM will have to get creative with compensation to make it work for both sides.

1 hour ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I don't think that is true. I think he may be willing to join a team on a short term deal, if he thinks they could get him another ring.  He will be a mercenary once he's "healthy". 

Yep, the best way to win a long term deal is to join a team and ball out late into the playoffs. He has time to wait and see where he’s the best fit, who looks like they will run deep and teams get to check him out after a few more months of PT. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

There are some interesting thoughts in this thread (both that I agree and disagree with). OBJ can still dominate. He was going to be the Super Bowl MVP and remind everyone of how good he can be. Does he take a short-term deal with a contender (ie Bills or Rams) to try to compete for a Super Bowl? Is that too risky? That’s an interesting thought. My guess is that he does sign with one of those teams (or Tampa or Baltimore, etc). Next offseason he will try to get one last contract.

He absolutely not a bottom of the depth chart guy. He can still dominate. OBJ is a guy that will be getting 8-10 targets a game. Cleveland was a disaster. He was back to being good when he got to the Rams. He caught 25 balls in 3.5 playoff games. OBJ is a winner. He will be an important piece of whichever team he goes to this year. It’ll be interesting to see, if he signs a decent deal this off-season, with a bad team. Will he be motivated to play for the Pats/Jets/Lions/Falcons/etc?

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are some interesting thoughts in this thread (both that I agree and disagree with). OBJ can still dominate. He was going to be the Super Bowl MVP and remind everyone of how good he can be. Does he take a short-term deal with a contender (ie Bills or Rams) to try to compete for a Super Bowl? Is that too risky? That’s an interesting thought. My guess is that he does sign with one of those teams (or Tampa or Baltimore, etc). Next offseason he will try to get one last contract.

He absolutely not a bottom of the depth chart guy. He can still dominate. OBJ is a guy that will be getting 8-10 targets a game. Cleveland was a disaster. He was back to being good when he got to the Rams. He caught 25 balls in 3.5 playoff games. OBJ is a winner. He will be an important piece of whichever team he goes to this year. It’ll be interesting to see, if he signs a decent deal this off-season, with a bad team. Will he be motivated to play for the Pats/Jets/Lions/Falcons/etc?

Can he be like Darrell Revis and be a hired assassin on a yearly basis? 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Agree with you on his play at the end of last season.  The thing is, will he return the same way after another ACL injury.

He has to pass a thorough physical and prove he still has it during a detailed workout.  If he can then I can see a contender signing him.

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

image.png.e08c04736d8c7b2d6f99e1376ef1065e.png

Odell Beckham Jr. has been pretty open about his interest in joining either the Los Angeles Rams or Buffalo Bills this season. Though no deal is imminent with either team, those seem to be the frontrunners to land the talented free-agent receiver.

Coincidentally, the Rams will face the Bills in the season opener on Thursday. If Beckham wants a simple way to pick his next team, he should just sign with the winner.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/06/odell-beckham-rams-bills-signing-week-1-game/

No he should sign with loser and when the rematch is in Superbowl and the team he signed for wins he can say he is the "Superbowl difference maker".

He would want to sign by week 10 so he could get an additional year on his retirement plan even if team does not plan on using him for a few weeks.

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Has he matured to where he will be a team player? 

Is he a Process guy?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.