Help me understand an OBJ trade

Behindenemylines

17 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Well, part of the benefit of signing him now is he could go onto the PUP list.

Are you sure he can go on PUP list - I can't think of any examples of where a new signee goes directly to PUP, I've only seen it used on players already under contract.  I believe the signings are usually dependent on a physical for this reason.

3 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Are you sure he can go on PUP list - I can't think of any examples of where a new signee goes directly to PUP, I've only seen it used on players already under contract.  I believe the signings are usually dependent on a physical for this reason.

Either way, he can still go onto IR.  He'd count against the current 85 man limit but you still wouldn't have to cut anyone that mattered.

1 hour ago, Tipster19 said:

If the Bills are interested in OBJ then I would think that they would and should wait a few games to assess what they already have. What I would be concerned with is the team chemistry. I really don’t know what to expect but Diggs considers himself, and rightly so, the alpha dog and I would think that that could be a potential issue. In addition to that Davis wants the ball more and has come right out and said that. McKenzie imo is going to have a HUGH year and personally I would like to give him the full opportunity to perform. I realize that that’s not the popular choice so I understand that it might not be the right decision. 

We know that Beane talks to Josh regularly.  He’s said as much openly on Pat McAfee’s show.  

I have to imagine if Josh, or Diggs, or anyone of high importance, viewed OBJ as a potential locker room issue, the message would be relayed. 

The fact nobody on this team (cough, Von, cough) seems to have been told to shut up about OBJ, means to me that Josh and Diggs etc., are good with it. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Either way, he can still go onto IR.  He'd count against the current 85 man limit but you still wouldn't have to cut anyone that mattered.

If he goes on IR now he's lost for the season - to go on short term IR he'd have to take up a roster spot amongst the initial 53 man roster.  I'm not saying they shouldn't do this, but I don't think they can just add him without any roster implications.

7 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

If he goes on IR now he's lost for the season - to go on short term IR he'd have to take up a roster spot amongst the initial 53 man roster.  I'm not saying they shouldn't do this, but I don't think they can just add him without any roster implications.

That rule changed this year I think

If OBJ signs a one year ( or half,or quarter year) "prove it deal", he will certainly want to play, to establish his value for a richer ,long term deal in 2023.

Let's say he remains unsigned:he could rehab,get in shape etc., hoping a team has a late- season need. 

If the Bills are running away with the AFC East,getting good production from their WRS....why would they need him?

The only way I see Bills signing him is in case of an injury to Diggs or Davis.

17 hours ago, mrags said:

I just think it’s completely lazy to type FA as opposed to free agent. It’s 7 additional characters. And typing, that takes about 1-2 seconds at the most. Even with my fat fingers and my iPhone I can’t type that whole thing out in about 3 seconds at the most. 

laziness is destroying this nation. 

Actually, it’s less than seven keystrokes if you consider the extra work you did to get the uppercase FA and the extra “n” added to the “a.”

But I’m not an NASA engineer, so what do I know?

• Haha (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I’m not saying I want this or anything but if we were to grab OBJ, how in the heck would we need to change the projected roster to fit him in?  

we are pretty loaded and seeing promise among our group of rookies.  Even with Crowder having a bit of a slump in game 1 I project him on the 53.

I don’t see room for OBJ without blowing up something.  What am I missing?  Looking to better minds than mine on this, because I do believe it’s very interesting for the SB push later in the season.  

the calculus is simple.

remember that chiefs game 2 years ago with our whole wr group hobbling around?

if this is our year, you insulate against everything you can. 

im Not head over heels for OBJ, but WR is an impact position and he’s both talented and experienced.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

If anyone was to go I’d rather it be Kumerow before Hodgins. Some people have it and some people don’t. I believe Hodgins has it, it was kind of painful watching Kumerow play offense the other day.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I am willing to risk losing Hodgins to a PS claim for a super bowl this year.

2 hours ago, Georgie said:

If OBJ signs a one year ( or half,or quarter year) "prove it deal", he will certainly want to play, to establish his value for a richer ,long term deal in 2023.

Let's say he remains unsigned:he could rehab,get in shape etc., hoping a team has a late- season need. 

If the Bills are running away with the AFC East,getting good production from their WRS....why would they need him?

The only way I see Bills signing him is in case of an injury to Diggs or Davis.

he’d also be an expiring contract and likely to be paid elsewhere

::comp pick::

2 hours ago, slipkid said:

Actually, it’s less than seven keystrokes if you consider the extra work you did to get the uppercase FA and the extra “n” added to the “a.”

But I’m not an NASA engineer, so what do I know?

My brother is a bona fide, real life NASA engineer … I BS you not. In fact (ahem), he may (or may not) have been the one who placed a secret “Go Bills” message on the Mars Perseverence Rover. I will check with him on this. 😀

Edited by Stranded in Boston

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.