Help me understand an OBJ trade

Behindenemylines

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well I'm not a teacher, but still have a pretty good idea! LOL

Maybe that was the reason you were the only person to be able to translate it.  Kind of reminds me of the scene from the movie Airplane. "He'll have the fish"

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, FireChans said:

F is pronounced ef and thus “an” is correct vernacular. It’s a vowel sound. I took English in tenth grade. 

I think the confusion lies with “FA” and it’s use as an abbreviation for “free agent”. For example “OBJ is a free agent” is correct, but technically so is “OBJ is an FA”.

Crowder is one year rental.  He's already behind McKenzie on the depth chart, doesn't play specials, and has a rookie who's making it very difficult to keep him off the field.  

To me, the question becomes.. Who would you rather have as a rental?  Crowder or OBJ.  

Bills throw the ball enough to warrant having 5 quality WR's rotating through.  Diggs and Davis are set as the outside 1 and 2.  McKenzie can lock down the slot long term by continuing his strong play into the season.  Shakir is WR4, who bumps down to WR5 if we bring in OBJ.  

I'm all in on OBJ for a year.  Bring Shakir along like they did Davis.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

To me, the question becomes.. Who would you rather have as a rental?  Crowder or OBJ.  

I think there is more to it than that.   What is the cost of both?  Is OBJ healthy?  What are the chances he is not affected by the injury when he is able to play this year?  People see/hear OBJ and just fall into fantasyland.....what will his contract be, 15 million for a guy with a recently torn ACL on a rental?  No thanks

8 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I think there is more to it than that.   What is the cost of both?  Is OBJ healthy?  What are the chances he is not affected by the injury when he is able to play this year?  People see/hear OBJ and just fall into fantasyland.....what will his contract be, 15 million for a guy with a recently torn ACL on a rental?  No thanks

I mean, this is obviously assuming the staff is confident in his abilities.  He's not going to command 15M.. if he does, he's not going to a contender, which I'm pretty sure is his goal over a money grab coming off the injury.  

From what I have read is OBJ doesn’t want to sign yet. He wants a contender but doesn’t want to sign early. Be kinda dumb to sign in Green Bay or somewhere and the QB goes on IR week 4. 
But he is perfect for what Buffalo needs. He’s just insurance. 
I would rather sign him now and have him in November as opposed to someone getting hurt in November and having to sign a practice squad guy or force an overpay trade to cover a big injury. And as mostly everyone said he’s not really costing us a roster spot at final cuts 

14 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don’t understand how signing OBJ and releasing one player to make room for him would in any way be considered “blowing up” their roster. Help me out here

Losing Kumerow would not be devastating? But Aaron Rodgers loves him and he would instantly make GB the super bowl favorites - sarcasm here. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Irv said:

Getting OBJ is about the best idea I’ve ever heard.  Every team needs an old, moody, selfish, injured, expensive, trouble-making, head case WR or two.  Beane - GET IT DONE!

This sarcasm expresses my feelings exactly.  OBJ for this team is the wrong guy -- I do not believe OBJ would provide too much of an upgrade over Lil' Dirty in the slot and Davis wide.  So why spend the money?  And even more, why risk the chemistry?  We don't need him.  Get more Online help at the trade deadline instead (if one needs to make a move).

Edited by MarlinTheMagician
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Exactly Chans.  I’m in the camp to buy his services earlier rather than later and IR him.  He’s a definite upgrade over Crowder once healthy and would probably mean less receptions for McKenzie in late November/December.  Having Diggs, Davis and OBJ is a daunting thought.  OBJ was impactful for the Rams when healthy.  

Id rather not wait it out as it increases the chances to outbid us.  Besides we have a world class training facility, and our trainers and doctors can assist with his rehab.  I’d make that a stipulation in his contract.  It also gives him two months in rehab to learn the playbook, and get to know Allen.  What Allen likes and not, so he can hit the ground running (no pun intended).

If the Bills are interested in OBJ then I would think that they would and should wait a few games to assess what they already have. What I would be concerned with is the team chemistry. I really don’t know what to expect but Diggs considers himself, and rightly so, the alpha dog and I would think that that could be a potential issue. In addition to that Davis wants the ball more and has come right out and said that. McKenzie imo is going to have a HUGH year and personally I would like to give him the full opportunity to perform. I realize that that’s not the popular choice so I understand that it might not be the right decision. 

To me it's not about the money (Beane can always figure something out when needed...he's very creative with the cap), or having to find a roster spot (they can make the numbers work and lose one of the end of the roster guys---doesn't have to be a WR).

To me it's about targets and attitude. I do not want to see Gabe Davis sit or be put in the back seat this year for OBJ, like they did with Sanders last year. Gabe needs to be on the field. OBJ can play the slot also, but we already have two good slot guys. Obviously, you could move him around (play outside and inside at times). I think this is what Dorsey wants out of his receivers anyways, as many of the guys learn all positions. The team wants that flexibility and unpredictability. But, we have a lot of weapons (Diggs, Davis, Knox, McKenzie, Crowder, Singletary, Cook, Shakir) and only one ball. I do not see OBJ being happy with a part-time or back-up role. And he has never been happy when he isn't getting targets. It was a question going into the Rams last year, but Robert Woods' injury gave him a full-time role.

So, the real questions are, where does he play? Do you make him your #2 and put Gabe to the bench? Do you play him in the slot with Diggs and Davis and sit McKenzie and Crowder? Would he be happy in a full-time slot role? If you sub him in and out at different spots, will he be happy with his playing time/targets?

Has his attitude changed from earlier in his career (definitely doesn't seem like a McD DNA type)? Will Josh feel the need to force targets to him because he's unhappy?

My gut instinct is no thanks to OBJ. Why risk the chemistry that has been building for this offense that is already one of the best in the league? But, if McD and Beane believe they can find a role that OBJ will be satisfied with and that doesn't send Gabe to the bench or disrupt the offense/team in any way, then I guess I could get on board with it.

16 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I’m not saying I want this or anything but if we were to grab OBJ, how in the heck would we need to change the projected roster to fit him in?  

we are pretty loaded and seeing promise among our group of rookies.  Even with Crowder having a bit of a slump in game 1 I project him on the 53.

I don’t see room for OBJ without blowing up something.  What am I missing?  Looking to better minds than mine on this, because I do believe it’s very interesting for the SB push later in the season.  

Let's think here - last season we carried 7 WR's on the roster. We usually keep 6 and the extra spot was for Kumerow's ST's.

Even if we were to try to squeeze in OBJ as part of 6 man squad and you want to keep Crowder - Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Shakir, and Crowder make up only 5.

Surely, you wouldn't pass on OBJ for Tavon Austin, Isiah Hodgins, or Marquez Stevenson, right? And you could even keep one of them on the roster until OBJ is ready in November.

I don't see it remotely blowing up anything.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

It makes sense considering we plan on playing 20+ games and you have to manage your top guys so everyone isn’t on dealing with thirty nagging injuries at the end of the year. OBJ won’t be medically cleared until later this year, so really we would have a healthy, fresh OBJ to unleash in the playoffs. OBJ also excels in the slot and is a different caliber player than Crowder and McKenzie.

• Agree 1

I could talk my self into wanting OBJ on the roster and just as easily talk myself into not needing him whatsoever.

Not sure where the Bills are headed with this?  And what about OBJ's knee? how does anyone know it will be healed enough to play again this season.

I suspect Beane & Co. have this on the back burner until things will play out with injuries and such...and it will make it easier to decide if they want/need OBJ down the road.

This is a weird thread, and as others have pointed out the title is misleading.

With that said - I think Hodgins is promising and I hope we hang on to him, but are you saying you wouldn't let him go for OBJ?  If that's the case, why not lose Crowder for OBJ - the idea is he's a potential All Pro (if healthy) who can potentially get us over the top, or save our season if Diggs or Davis get hurt - why wouldn't we we make that roster move (assuming we fit him under the cap and he comes at not too heavy a long term cost.)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.