Help me understand an OBJ trade

Behindenemylines

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Just curious how Acronyms effect this. Because if you eliminate the acronym it just sounds terribly wrong. 

“because he’s an free agent” 

yeah. Idk. I didn’t take 10th grade English. 

OCD is nothing to be ashamed of. You are not alone.

5 hours ago, mrags said:

I just think it’s completely lazy to type FA as opposed to free agent. It’s 7 additional characters. And typing, that takes about 1-2 seconds at the most. Even with my fat fingers and my iPhone I can’t type that whole thing out in about 3 seconds at the most. 

laziness is destroying this nation. 

OK BOOMER

Eventually:

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Beckham Jr.

Shakir

Kumerow

PS: Hodgins, Stevenson

8 hours ago, shoretalk said:

First, as others have pointed out OBJ is a free agent and can choose where he wants to play.  His choice may not even come down to money because if Buffalo was his choice, it is very obvious that the Bills only could pay him a very limited salary.

I think I am with you though when it comes to this urgent need of the Buffalo Bills for an OBJ still recovering from off season surgery, which is being orchestrated by Von Miller.  I am not a Crowder fan so I don't even include him in the group of talented receivers who are on the roster on opening day but one of them would have to be released to make room for "a still recovering from serious surgery" OBJ.

Here's my WR order right now (And, I say keep 7):

1. Diggs

2. Davis

3. McKenzie

4. Shakir

5. Hodgins

6. Kumerow (Need his special teams skills)

7. Crowder

So, do we cut Shakir for OBJ?  Or maybe let's cut Gabe Davis.  Not going to let Diggs go but perhaps Hodgins or Kumerow or Crowder.  But whose targets does he get and when does he get into the game?

If we order the Bills receiving group's targets as:

Diggs #1

Davis #2

Dawson #3 (Can't leave the tight ends out of this discussion)

McKenzie #4

Shakir #5

Cook/Singletary/Moss #6

Where would OBJ fit in and whose targets would he take?  Can he still run down field and make the cuts after his surgery?  Will he be able to leap and get his toes precisely down inside the chalk? Or perhaps should we ask what team is going to scoop up the receiver we have to release to sign OBJ for basically this season only?  Will we regret it? Or which of the receivers whose targets go down will be unhappy and which of his teammates will be unhappy as well?

I just don't see any benefit of dreaming that the 2022 OBJ will be the preinjury OBJ or even have enough ability to justify disrupting the team midseason.

There is 0% chance Crowder sticks if he is that far down the depth chart. No special teams

• Dislike 2

8 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Agreed that’s the dilemma. He could be a good addition down the line but do you need to lock him in now to prevent others from grabbing him or is it general practice to wait for more rehab progress   After the Watson contract things seem to have gone a bit off the rails 

They wouldn't sign him until he's closer to being able to practice/play.  Tre White tore his ACL around Thansgiving and OBJ tore his ACL in the Super Bowl.  So OBJ is quite a ways away from playing again.  It's usually at least 9 months to recover.  They also won't sign him until at least after week 1 of the season because his salary won't be guaranteed then.  As far as making room on the 53, there's always injuries where someone may go on IR or you could cut a guy who is on a 1 year deal so not really a big deal.

9 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I’m not saying I want this or anything but if we were to grab OBJ, how in the heck would we need to change the projected roster to fit him in?  

we are pretty loaded and seeing promise among our group of rookies.  Even with Crowder having a bit of a slump in game 1 I project him on the 53.

I don’t see room for OBJ without blowing up something.  What am I missing?  Looking to better minds than mine on this, because I do believe it’s very interesting for the SB push later in the season.  

I think we have some very good talented receivers,  I also believe it's important to have guys with experience.  I would bring him in and have 3 wide receiver sets of Diggs /OBJ and Davis.  If healthy that is the best top 3 lineup in the NFL.  The reality is,  he would be signing just for one season and helping us win a title

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I think we have some very good talented receivers,  I also believe it's important to have guys with experience.  I would bring him in and have 3 wide receiver sets of Diggs /OBJ and Davis.  If healthy that is the best top 3 lineup in the NFL.  The reality is,  he would be signing just for one season and helping us win a title

I agree, and if he could help us win a SB why not?  I don't think he'd break the bank, and at this point in his career he's less "controversial personality wise" and to your point experience always helps.  Someone else pointed out that as he makes more strides in therapy his price goes up, and he was dominating in the SB before the injury. Get him close to that form and he adds value.

3 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

I agree, and if he could help us win a SB why not?  I don't think he'd break the bank, and at this point in his career he's less "controversial personality wise" and to your point experience always helps.  Someone else pointed out that as he makes more strides in therapy his price goes up, and he was dominating in the SB before the injury. Get him close to that form and he adds value.

We need someone controversial to replace Beasley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don’t understand how signing OBJ and releasing one player to make room for him would in any way be considered “blowing up” their roster. Help me out here

We have to a large degree a fairly set idea of who and what we are.  Adding a piece that will come in mid to late season-with as big a name as OBJ-will require changes to the current plan we have right now.  Maybe "blow up" is strong and "Requires more changes than originally thought" is more appropriate.  I want all the options we can get for JA, and if the others understand we each get a few less touches to reach the championship then its a no brainer(and that's coaching to get that through and part of the culture).   All of these are concerns and require significant thought on part of the team coaches and leadership.  

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

We need someone controversial to replace Beasley.

Im on board for AB, he's a process guy Im told.  

Sign him for this year. He helps us win the Super Bowl then let him cash in on a big contract with someone else. If doesn't work out then it was only for this year anyway. I will say with Diggs, Davis, and OBJ that would be a nice top 3 at WR. Throw in some of the other weapons we have along with Allen's ability to run. Opposing DC's would be having sleepless nights trying to come up with a game plan to stop the Bills. You can't double cover everybody so pick your poison and see what happens. My guess is it works out in the Bills favor most of the time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

If we could sign him for cheap then that becomes the trade deadline guy that we don't have to give up assets to get. Not sure what defences do with a lineup of Diggs/Davis and OBJ ,  you cannot double everyone.  

Diggs has his new contract,  he does not need to pile up stats during the regular season and expose his body to all those hits before the real season (playoffs) begin. Having experienced depth allows the Bills to maybe sit Diggs out later in the season and get him ready for the playoffs.

• Agree 1

Getting OBJ is about the best idea I’ve ever heard.  Every team needs an old, moody, selfish, injured, expensive, trouble-making, head case WR or two.  Beane - GET IT DONE!

Edited by Irv
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I just think it’s completely lazy to type FA as opposed to free agent. It’s 7 additional characters. And typing, that takes about 1-2 seconds at the most. Even with my fat fingers and my iPhone I can’t type that whole thing out in about 3 seconds at the most. 

laziness is destroying this nation. 

This sentence contradicts your post. Did you mean you CAN type that whole thing out in about 3 seconds(or should it be "three" seconds at most?)? I mean, typing"3" vs. "three" seems pretty frickin lazy from someone who complained about lazy. It's only FOUR additional characters. If stuff like this is destroying this nation, then you're a kettle calling the pot black.

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I get that OBJ is an elite talent, and would potentially make the team better.  I still have some difficulty with the fact that his presence would take away reps from young, promising receivers we've been waiting to for a while to break out: Gabriel Davis and Isaiah McKenzie.  Khalil Shakir is just a rookie, but what he's done has been impressive and fun to watch.  Even Isaiah Hodgins seems like a player who has shown enough that he deserves a shot to show what he can do on Sundays. (and now in prime time).  I know it is my own bias, but where possible, I like to see the home grown talent develop and shine.   Yes, the Bills signed Stephon Diggs when the receiving corps needed help, but now we've got home grown talent just begging for the chance to shine.  They will get less of a chance to shine if OBJ becomes a Bill.

i get your point.  but the goal is to win the SB, not grow talent all year.  OBJ is our Wr 2/3 in this offense if he plays like he did for the rams last year.  The developing players can also learn from him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, That's No Moon said:

I teach middle school. You have no idea.

Well I'm not a teacher, but still have a pretty good idea! LOL

Maybe that was the reason you were the only person to be able to translate it.  Kind of reminds me of the scene from the movie Airplane. "He'll have the fish"

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.