Kingfish, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, buddy guy

Buffalo716

38 minutes ago, T&C said:

Haven't heard Kingfish mentioned in a long time... still have the 1st lp. 

He’s legitimately my favorite of the young generation 

The Rolling Stones were right when they called him the savior of the blues 

he’s amazing 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He’s legitimately my favorite of the young generation 

The Rolling Stones were right when they called him the savior of the blues 

he’s amazing 

We are talking about completely different things at the same time... Bob Weir's band Kingfish:

Edited by T&C
  • Haha (+1) 1

I first saw KWS as part of the Experience Hendrix tour. He was phenomenal. 

Then I saw him as a headliner and it was borderline horrible. The only good songs were SRV or Hendrix covers. 

He can’t sing. His singer is terrible and has no stage presence. And KWS can’t write a song to save his life. 

Phenomenal guitar player. Phenomenal. But it takes more than that to be a headliner. 

When I saw him, Beth Hart opened. She was amazing. The crowd wouldn’t let her off the stage. 

Then KWS bored us to death. 

I’ll never pay to see him again, but I will definitely pay to see Beth Hart!

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Then I saw him as a headliner and it was borderline horrible. The only good songs were SRV or Hendrix covers. 

He can’t sing. His singer is terrible and has no stage presence. And KWS can’t write a song to save his life. 

Phenomenal guitar player. Phenomenal. But it takes more than that to be a headliner. 

When I saw him, Beth Hart opened. She was amazing. The crowd wouldn’t let her off the stage. 

It’s his blues tour but buddy guy headlined 

he’s 80+ but has great stage presence and is a great performer

The blues is as much about the music as it is about the lyrics that’s why KWS is liked so much … his guitar playing is on another level 

But I can agree that he’s not the best song writer

27 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It’s his blues tour but buddy guy headlined 

he’s 80+ but has great stage presence and is a great performer

The blues is as much about the music as it is about the lyrics that’s why KWS is liked so much … his guitar playing is on another level 

But I can agree that he’s not the best song writer

Buddy Guy was also at the Experience Hendrix show and was fantastic.

The way I see KWS' solo stuff is that it's a bunch of really, really bad songs wish really, really nice guitar solos.  His songs aren't blues.  They're some sort of reach to make blues popular.  And unfortunately, they fail.

He's a very likeable guy and an insanely gifted guitarist.  His originals are just terrible.  But he's still young enough to right the ship.  I just don't think he will.  As long as he's writing his own songs and attached to that lead singer, it'll never get better.  It's a shame.  

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Buddy Guy was also at the Experience Hendrix show and was fantastic.

The way I see KWS' solo stuff is that it's a bunch of really, really bad songs wish really, really nice guitar solos.  His songs aren't blues.  They're some sort of reach to make blues popular.  And unfortunately, they fail.

He's a very likeable guy and an insanely gifted guitarist.  His originals are just terrible.  But he's still young enough to right the ship.  I just don't think he will.  As long as he's writing his own songs and attached to that lead singer, it'll never get better.  It's a shame.  

I don’t think he’s young really either … if he hasn’t righted the ship at 40+ writing songs he probably won’t but he’s a great guitarist 

and I agree he’s not Strictly the blues but his roots are based in it and that’s the market he goes for 

6 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

What was the turnout for the show. We thought about going. How long did Buddy Play?

Buffalo guy Tom Hambridge drums for Buddy and was his producer

It was definitely a good turnout… not like the skynyrd turnout but good 

Buddy played for an hour id say 

and boy he definitely still has it … got the chops and funny as ever 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Sounds very much like Bonamassa. Great guitar player, horrible front man.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

What was the turnout for the show. We thought about going. How long did Buddy Play?

Buffalo guy Tom Hambridge drums for Buddy and was his producer

I'd say about 5,000 although it was tough to see how filled in the hill was from our seats in the bowl.   

Buddy played about 70 minutes, although about half of that was walkin' and talkin'.    His voice is still teriffic at 86 years old and he really seemed to have his heart in the stories he told about his childhood and need for people to be happy, not mad at one another.     It was a beautiful night for the blues and I enjoyed it a bunch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Shake_My_Head said:

His main vocalist, Noah Hunt, is a good frontman, with one of the best voices in the blues or rock.    It makes for a great combo.    

I could not (respectfully) disagree with this more.  He is probably the worst frontman I've ever seen live and his voice never comes close to pulling off a blues vibe.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I could not (respectfully) disagree with this more.  He is probably the worst frontman I've ever seen live and his voice never comes close to pulling off a blues vibe.

First saw KWS in Minneapolis when he was 19. Probably seen him 15 times since. Guess you could say my wife and I are fans.

Completely agree that KWS himself isn’t much for vocals (but believe it or not, is improving!). Also agree that he’s a superior guitarist and that his music trends a bit more blues/rock with even some country vibes, than straight ahead blues.  

That said, I’d completely agree with SMH that Noah Hunt has a very good voice. They’ve been together for a long time and Hunt’s vocals have been a large part of the band’s success. KWS himself said as much in a Guitar Center Sessions interview several years ago. If you’re judging Hunt’s voice as a bluesman, he isn’t Buddy Guy, or Keb Mo or Howlin’ Wolfe or any of the classic greats. But IMO, his voice is perfect for KWS band and the music they play. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Tony P said:

First saw KWS in Minneapolis when he was 19. Probably seen him 15 times since. Guess you could say my wife and I are fans.

Completely agree that KWS himself isn’t much for vocals (but believe it or not, is improving!). Also agree that he’s a superior guitarist and that his music trends a bit more blues/rock with even some country vibes, than straight ahead blues.  

That said, I’d completely agree with SMH that Noah Hunt has a very good voice. They’ve been together for a long time and Hunt’s vocals have been a large part of the band’s success. KWS himself said as much in a Guitar Center Sessions interview several years ago. If you’re judging Hunt’s voice as a bluesman, he isn’t Buddy Guy, or Keb Mo or Howlin’ Wolfe or any of the classic greats. But IMO, his voice is perfect for KWS band and the music they play. 

One of the many beautiful things about music ... it's all about how/what each individual feels when they listen to it!

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.