Ranking The AFC 2022-23

corta765

2 hours ago, corta765 said:

We are at the point rosters are more or less set outside of some camp battles and you have a general idea of who most teams are. Given the moves this offseason across the conference and league I can't see much happening in preseason that will change peoples opinions. I did this last year ranking each conference with a little blurb for each team. Today is the AFC and later the NFC this week. Agree, disagree, tell me I am idiot and the reason for all of the worlds issue, whatever lay out your thoughts lol:

The Class of the AFC:

Baltimore- Fun fact they were 8-3 and the 1 seed before the plague destroyed their team in 2021. Whether you love and don't love Lamar (count me as love) they have a strong defense and will impose their will. I believe they are due for a breakthrough postseason wise sooner then later

Buffalo- Super Bowl or bust no way around it between the addition of Von Miller and overall depth that has been added

Cincinnati- I think this Cincy team is better then last years but the record may only move up to 11-6 because of the division and conference. Regardless they are an explosive group

Kansas City- Tyreek takes a scary factor away on offense, but Mahomes is still there and until they are out they are always what feels like the team to beat after 4 straight AFC titles.

Los Angeles Chargers- Talent wise they can match anyone and they missed the playoffs off of playoff tiebreakers in 2021. I always question what they can do as ownership has forever been cheap and they have no homefield advantage in LA which feels like it will catch them. Either way if you said they are in the SB come February I wouldn't be the least bit shocked.

Playoff Contenders

Denver- Could Russ and crew take the crown year 1? Absolutely, but I think their best football will be in a year or two as a new coach and system is established. Regardless with Russ they are a playoff team.

Las Vegas- If you think they should be up higher I wouldn't disagree. But I would like to see the Raiders do more then just a wildcard appearance as that has been it with Carr.

Miami- Regardless of your belief in Tua (I think he's average with flashes) he just has a stacked lineup around him that he just needs to do enough to make the Phins a playoff team. Biggest issue is their schedule is a buzz saw up and down.

Cleveland*- They are their own category as no one for sure knows how long Watson plays. On paper, strictly paper they are incredibly solid at every spot and Watson pushes them up. But football is loaded with teams who on paper look great and flame out because of pressure and noise. I think they lose Watson for 12 games and limp to a 7-10 season as the pressure and noise mixed with no Watson beats them down. Could they do better? 100% but I honestly think no one has a solid read here.

Could be a playoff team, Could be 6-11 

Indianapolis Colts- If you buy Matt Ryan then they are a playoff contender, if you think he is past his prime they need the collective whole to carry this team. I am not a fan of their WR corp and I don't know how much more Taylor can do to carry the load.

Jacksonville Jaguars- Doug Pederson has take a young QB and went places before and now has one who pure talent wise is better then Wentz. I can easily see the Jags offense becoming good pretty quick if they can help build Lawrence confidence and decision making up. Urban wrecked things so bad people forget the hype and talent T Law has. The major question is if the defense can go from being an EZ-Pass to something that can hang around in games. For the record they are my dark horse pick this year and I have them winning the South.

New England Patriots- I actually think Mac Jones is pretty decent and could have a better year. I also look at what NE surrounded him with and outside of a Marino type heroic performance they have a tall task to compete to the playoffs. BB can only do so much to cover their holes against an AFC loaded with fast aggressive offenses and defenses not based in 1990 conservative football.

Pittsburgh Steelers- Their skill position group on offense can make noise, can Mitch or Kenny drive the car fast enough to stay up with the rest of their division? The defense will do enough to keep them in games, it is on the offense being potent enough.

Tennessee Titans- There is data that Derrick Henry already has started to decline going back to last year. They look weaker across the board and while I love Bobby Woods he is not AJ Brown. Their playoff hopes hinge on the Colts staying neutral and winning the division. 

On To The Draft

Houston- A successful season could be 3-14 as Mills shows he can be the guy and the rookies develop OR Mills isn't the guy and the rest of the young roster improves while getting a top 3 pick for QB

NY Jets- They already had a daunting task before the Wilson injury with the way the AFC is. Now you hope Wilson shows tangible improvement in less games then desired played, the offense has some pep while the defense becomes a formidable unit, and they finish 5-11 while getting wins over MIA and NE at home.

After the Bills, the Chargers should be fun to watch. They have it all but they need to put it together. Ill be pushing for them in the West. Im sick of the Chiefs walking through that division. 

Chargers @ Bills AFC Championship Game 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

We are at the point rosters are more or less set outside of some camp battles and you have a general idea of who most teams are. Given the moves this offseason across the conference and league I can't see much happening in preseason that will change peoples opinions. I did this last year ranking each conference with a little blurb for each team. Today is the AFC and later the NFC this week. Agree, disagree, tell me I am idiot and the reason for all of the worlds issue, whatever lay out your thoughts lol:

The Class of the AFC:

Baltimore- Fun fact they were 8-3 and the 1 seed before the plague destroyed their team in 2021. Whether you love and don't love Lamar (count me as love) they have a strong defense and will impose their will. I believe they are due for a breakthrough postseason wise sooner then later

Buffalo- Super Bowl or bust no way around it between the addition of Von Miller and overall depth that has been added

Cincinnati- I think this Cincy team is better then last years but the record may only move up to 11-6 because of the division and conference. Regardless they are an explosive group

Kansas City- Tyreek takes a scary factor away on offense, but Mahomes is still there and until they are out they are always what feels like the team to beat after 4 straight AFC titles.

Los Angeles Chargers- Talent wise they can match anyone and they missed the playoffs off of playoff tiebreakers in 2021. I always question what they can do as ownership has forever been cheap and they have no homefield advantage in LA which feels like it will catch them. Either way if you said they are in the SB come February I wouldn't be the least bit shocked.

Playoff Contenders

Denver- Could Russ and crew take the crown year 1? Absolutely, but I think their best football will be in a year or two as a new coach and system is established. Regardless with Russ they are a playoff team.

Las Vegas- If you think they should be up higher I wouldn't disagree. But I would like to see the Raiders do more then just a wildcard appearance as that has been it with Carr.

Miami- Regardless of your belief in Tua (I think he's average with flashes) he just has a stacked lineup around him that he just needs to do enough to make the Phins a playoff team. Biggest issue is their schedule is a buzz saw up and down.

Cleveland*- They are their own category as no one for sure knows how long Watson plays. On paper, strictly paper they are incredibly solid at every spot and Watson pushes them up. But football is loaded with teams who on paper look great and flame out because of pressure and noise. I think they lose Watson for 12 games and limp to a 7-10 season as the pressure and noise mixed with no Watson beats them down. Could they do better? 100% but I honestly think no one has a solid read here.

Indianapolis Colts- If you buy Matt Ryan then they are a playoff contender, if you think he is past his prime they need the collective whole to carry this team. I am not a fan of their WR corp and I don't know how much more Taylor can do to carry the load.

Jacksonville Jaguars- Doug Pederson has take a young QB and went places before and now has one who pure talent wise is better then Wentz. I can easily see the Jags offense becoming good pretty quick if they can help build Lawrence confidence and decision making up. Urban wrecked things so bad people forget the hype and talent T Law has. The major question is if the defense can go from being an EZ-Pass to something that can hang around in games. For the record they are my dark horse pick this year and I have them winning the South.

New England Patriots- I actually think Mac Jones is pretty decent and could have a better year. I also look at what NE surrounded him with and outside of a Marino type heroic performance they have a tall task to compete to the playoffs. BB can only do so much to cover their holes against an AFC loaded with fast aggressive offenses and defenses not based in 1990 conservative football.

Pittsburgh Steelers- Their skill position group on offense can make noise, can Mitch or Kenny drive the car fast enough to stay up with the rest of their division? The defense will do enough to keep them in games, it is on the offense being potent enough.

Tennessee Titans- There is data that Derrick Henry already has started to decline going back to last year. They look weaker across the board and while I love Bobby Woods he is not AJ Brown. Their playoff hopes hinge on the Colts staying neutral and winning the division. 

On To The Draft

Houston- A successful season could be 3-14 as Mills shows he can be the guy and the rookies develop OR Mills isn't the guy and the rest of the young roster improves while getting a top 3 pick for QB

NY Jets- They already had a daunting task before the Wilson injury with the way the AFC is. Now you hope Wilson shows tangible improvement in less games then desired played, the offense has some pep while the defense becomes a formidable unit, and they finish 5-11 while getting wins over MIA and NE at home.

I think you did a nice job here, and I can't really argue with most of it.

I think you're right on with the class of the AFC. I think the Ravens are a solid team and belong up where you put them. I also think the Raiders, Broncos, and Dolphins are the three wild cards that are loaded with talent and could do a lot of damage if they figure things out fast enough.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My list….

1 Buf. Best all-around team with best player. Only injuries could stop them, imho….just a loaded roster, including STs….

2. SD. Similar to Bills but not quite there. Allen > Herbert, a little weaker defense in the middle…

3. Cincy - Joe B and his weapons are for real. Good roster.

4. KC - Crazy hard schedule and too much reliance on rookies this year. Beware Mahomes always.

5. Ravens - not a fan when compared to top 4 AFC QBs. Allen - Mahomes - Burrow - Herbert.

6. LV - Great team with new HC. Just doesn’t quite measure up with SD or KC, but might beat out KC for playoff spot.

7. Colts - Are they Bills kryptonite? No, not again. Colts have nice talent though… I absolutely love Taylor, Nelson, Buckner…

8. Denver - Great team with new HC, just doesn’t quite matchup with SD or KC….also could overtake KC due to KC schedule.

9. Tennessee - this is the year the colts take them.

10. Miami - Crazy to think they’re way down at 10 but….

11. Pittsburgh - Dangerous DL, run game. 

12.Cleveland -another loaded roster and their at the bottom over here. The browns are not ready again.

13 pats - If jets weren’t the jets…..

14. Jets - the jets….

15. Jags - gave contract to Zay Jones.

16. Houston. - it wasn’t that long ago they were good. Now? WTF?

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

IMO Raiders are probably going to be much better than people expect which is hard to say about a WC team from the previous season. Everyone talking about Chargers and Broncos taking down Chiefs but Raiders could be one of those grimy teams that sneaks up everyone.

Jones/Crosby easily the best DE combo in the league and Adams will put that offense over the top. Still think Carr is much better than people give him credit for too and is the best QB McDaniels has worked with not named Tom Brady.

I have the Raiders winning the west

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

The Class of the AFC:

Playoff Contenders

On To The Draft

Wow, very well done. I would like to stay away from SB or bust if I may. I also haven't heard the latest on Wilson. If he were healthy going in, I would be looking to the 3 teams cannibalizing this season giving the division to us. Can't expect us to go 6-0.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I am going to make an early prediction that the Colts will be the #1 seed. Most complete team in the NFL.

I would put the Colts, Bills, Titans, and Broncos in the top tier this year. (Titans make the list because they always seem to find a way to be there).

Most complete team?  I don't see it but maybe I am missing something.  Their WR group leaves much to be desired as does their group of TE's.  Combined they had 1000 less receiving yards than the Bills group.  Pass rush is nothing special.  They have the best or second best RB in the league and the best OG.  Ryan is probably an upgrade over Wentz but he has never lived up to the moment and for some reason I just don't see him as a guy that will age well.  They probably made as good a choice to upgrade QB as they could have. I agree they may have the best record in the AFC but that is only a reflection of how bad that division is.  I can see Bills being a #2 seed and the Colts losing in the division round of the playoffs.  I would take any AFC West team over them

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

boy this board gonna explode if the Bills lose a game... way, way too much hype. 

Let's go play the games and see how they do, shall we? 

depends on how they lose. The PIT loss was a bad loss. If you lose 31-28 in the opener that is last second I’m probably fine. You lose 27-14 probably not happy

2 hours ago, bobobonators said:

After the Bills, the Chargers should be fun to watch. They have it all but they need to put it together. Ill be pushing for them in the West. Im sick of the Chiefs walking through that division. 

That is my prediction too.  If they can block Bosa, Bills win

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Most complete team?  I don't see it but maybe I am missing something.  Their WR group leaves much to be desired as does their group of TE's.  Combined they had 1000 less receiving yards than the Bills group.  Pass rush is nothing special.  They have the best or second best RB in the league and the best OG.  Ryan is probably an upgrade over Wentz but he has never lived up to the moment and for some reason I just don't see him as a guy that will age well.  They probably made as good a choice to upgrade QB as they could have. I agree they may have the best record in the AFC but that is only a reflection of how bad that division is.  I can see Bills being a #2 seed and the Colts losing in the division round of the playoffs.  I would take any AFC West team over them

Well, I hope you are right! But I see the colts as having an elite o-line and the best running back in the NFL. Terrific receiving options in Pittman, Allie-Cox, and Hines; very underutilized last year due to wentz. And Ryan will be great in that offense, esp since he will be protected and they will remain run first. On D, they just play fast and physical at every level, and got better in an already great secondary. They also have been an opportunistic D— even in the pre-season game against us a week ago, they were doing the same stuff (tipped picks, etc.). 

My only hope is that they take a step back on D due to losing Eberflus to the Bears.

• Like (+1) 1

Nice job, OP. My take because hey who doesn't like an offseason list:

Tier 1 (tiers roughly in order):

Bills, Chiefs, Bengals

Notes - I'm going to cut it off there. I think these are the only 3 that deserve respect based on roster and recent postseason play. Concerning Cincy, Burrow is legit imo and they have the best top 3 WR depth in the game.

Tier 2:

Chargers, Raiders, Titans, Ravens, Colts

Notes - Chargers the clear favorite here as they're on the Tier 1 bubble, only missing out due to recent playoff history. Las Vegas terrifies me personally, I think the Crosby/Chandler pass rush is going to be insane. Derrick Henry is still the best offensive weapon outside of Josh Allen when he's healthy. Lamar isn't, but until he's completely figured out the Ravens deserve a spot.

Tier 3:

Browns, Dolphins, Steelers, Pats, Broncos

Notes - I'm just not buying what the Donkeys are selling. I think they've been massively overhyped and it's already dwindling. They were considered a potential #2 in the AFC by talking heads at one point after the draft! It all seems to rest on Javonte Williams, who looks great, but solid RBs are a nice to have more than a team carrier, with only 2 real exceptions in the NFL. Tim Patrick is out for the year, Jeudy's not living up to expectations. They don't have Fant anymore. Just not seeing the offensive production. I think the Steelers are going to surprise and be annoying.

The Rest:

Jags, Jets, Texans

Notes - Jags sort of take a step. Jets flounder. Texans are the worst.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I think Reich is a great coach and was working miracles with Wentz last year until the end.  But Matt Ryan looked shockingly weak and old on Saturday and Foles is not any better.  I could see a 7-10 year for the Colts event though they are stacked in many positions. 

He did I will admit. I will be surprised if he looks that poor in the regular season. I thought he played pretty decent last season though….Definitely not anywhere near Allen but might be able to get the ball to the right guy often enough….

10 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I’m going to get some eye rolls here, but I think the Chargers’ coach is a problem…for them.  Staley strikes me as a guy who absolutely believes he’s the smartest one in the room and is going to do everything in his power to prove himself right rather than learn from his mistakes.  Maybe I’m wrong — after all, I’m watching this from 30,000 feet — but last year he cost them the playoffs.  It’s not often you can point directly to a head coach and say that.

The Bolts certainly have a roster to respect.

• Agree 1

I went through every team game by game.....it helps sort out some stuff you might not think about when you just think of teams in general as Tier 1, 2, 3 etc.

1. (I am BIASED, but this could easily, and in fact SHOULD be the Bills this year....but)  Chiefs.  The schedule is the hardest in football.  As I intamately know this team, I would say that the defense is going to be better.  It's faster and deeper, and they will BENEFIT by not having Anthony Hitchens on the field.  Honey Badger...love him...but he was making a ton of business decisions last season.  Andy Ried was an offensive guru before Kelce and Hill and he'll be one until he dies.  He's gotten production his entire coaching career out of whoever he's had, and this group of WR, while missing Hill, who is great....is deeper.  The O line is really good.  This is the most balanced team KC has had in the Mahomes era.  

2.  Baltimore.  They remained very competive despite all the inuries.  Lamar isn't a great passer, but he's not as bad as some claim.  If they stay healthy, they should be a tough team to beat again.

3.  Buffalo (OR PUT KC HERE...whatever)  I think the Bills will also have some trouble with a bit harder of a schedule this season.  I think the division isn't as tough as the AFC west, but Miami is better, New England isn't trash....just the Jets as pushovers.  The Bills are all in for this year and there is every reason to think they should be the 1 seed and AFC champion.  

4.  Titans.  *****THIS IS PLAYOFF SEEDING ONLY*****  I don't think the Titans are the 4th best team in the AFC...they will just win their garbage division.  Henry is getting old.  Tannehill is getting older and his target group isn't better than last years.  Their O line isn't great.  They will rely on a decent defense, good coaching and an easy shedule to get into the playoffs with a very underwhelming record.

5.  Chargers.  (or this could be KC too)  I think the Chargers and the Chiefs are the 2 real contenders in the AFC west...whoever doesn't win the division, ends up with the 5 seed.  I would say that even last year, the Chargers have a ton of talent and BAD coaching.  Staley is supposed to be a defensive guru...they were horrible on D.  And Joe Lombardi clearly isn't the kind of O Coordinater who has any business running his own show on offense.  He clearly just did what Sean Payton told him to do in new orleans...calling a TON of short passing plays designed for Drew Brees when he has a stallion at QB.  They should be big time contenders, but their coaches aren't equal to it.

6.  Cincinatti.  Super Bowl hangover, plus some regression to the mean on some stuff....too much talent not to make it, but last year was something of a mix of fluke and luck, AND talent all coming together at the right time.

7.  Cleveland.  ...So here is the thing.  as I said, I went over everyone game by game....and the roster is talented enough to put some W's on the board until Watson is around...whenever that is.  I think there is enough favorable schedule wise that they can grind out enough W's to eek into the final playoff spot.

8.  Miami.  The picture of average, with good parts and pieces all over the field, but some tough games, and a QB that isn't quite big time enough to pull a few out on his own, leaves Miami on the cusp. 

9.  New England.  Good coaching, and I think Mac Jones is pretty good...but they just don't have enough around him and the OC crap show they got going on isn't good.

10.  Denver.  You might think this is low.  Denver isn't a horrible team..and Russ is a big upgrade at QB.  But Chargers and Chiefs in division, along with coaches all accross the board who are all new to their roles....plus some of Denvers skill positoin players being kind of overrated....I don't see them making it in....Vegas only has them at over/under 9.5  I'm not sure 10 is enough to get in, and I am not sure Denver gets to 10 this year. 

11.  Indy.  Count me among hte few who aren't buying Matt Ryan...and who think the Colts offense is a bit overrated even without him.  They are in a winnable division, which will keep them in contention all year, but they are a pretender.

12.  Raiders.  I am really low on these guys.  Their line sucks.  They don't have a good RB.  They have good pass rushing ends...but if they don't muck things up, the secondary and LB's aren't good either.  They had a TON of items that should regress to the mean...and this is probably a 6 win or so team at most.

13.  Jacksonville.  I think they also, like the Colts, COULD maybe stay in contention for a division title by being in a bad division for a while....but they are at least another year and more roster turnover away from making any noise.

14. Houston.   ....clearly in the early stages of a complete rebuild.  IT's all about seeing of Mills is a worthwhile QB or not.  That's all.

15.  Jets.  Even after what some say was a great draft, this roster isn't good or deep at any spot and Wilson is hurt....and he's NOT IT anyhow.  I saw enough last year to believe he's just not an NFL QB.  The Jets are destined to bringing in yet another coach and GM next year becasue the QB the current guys bet on, sucks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.