Ranking The AFC 2022-23

corta765

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Before Lamar went down the Ravens were ahead in the North despite losing all their running backs, their left tackle, their right tackle and their 3 best corners. 

Any better luck with injuries and they win the north.

The Bills at one point were 7-6 last season and the Pats were ahead of us.  The Bengals beat the Chiefs twice.  

They have an elite QB and the best trio of WR in the NFL.  I still think the Bills are better but the Bengals will contend.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills at one point were 7-6 last season and the Pats were ahead of us.  The Bengals beat the Chiefs twice.  

They have an elite QB and the best trio of WR in the NFL.  I still think the Bills are better but the Bengals will contend.

They also had multiple players on their defense have career years all at the same time. Lightening in a bottle. They will score a ton of point. The difference is they will give up a ton too.

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

Lamar can throw it though I can see him transitioning to a pure passer. He does have maybe 3-4 years left with this style before it wears out like you said. Up to Baltimore and him to work that out.

I have nothing against Lamar and agreed.  He just has like you stated three years to figure out how to throw effectively outside the hashes.  Frazier looks like a god as we defense him by covering up the middle and stopping running lanes.  If Lamar wants to be the best, he has to throw those corner outside fades, and toe tap throws on a dime like JA can do with ease.

I have nothing against Baltimore and like seeing them win especially more than anyone else in their division.  They are a well run and managed team.  Lamar is the factor.  Can he really develop?  Probably not this year as they loaded up on the TE personnel, which means they will go back to his all pro year and throw tons to the middle on these big bodies.

Just now, machine gun kelly said:

I have nothing against Lamar and agreed.  He just has like you stated three years to figure out how to throw effectively outside the hashes.  Frazier looks like a god as we defense him by covering up the middle and stopping running lanes.  If Lamar wants to be the best, he has to throw those corner outside fades, and toe tap throws on a dime like JA can do with ease.

I have nothing against Baltimore and like seeing them win especially more than anyone else in their division.  They are a well run and managed team.  Lamar is the factor.  Can he really develop?  Probably not this year as they loaded up on the TE personnel, which means they will go back to his all pro year and throw tons to the middle on these big bodies.

He’s playing for his next contract though, I expect him to have a good year. Won’t be good enough though, Bengals have their number now. Even though beat-up, Ravens were competitive last year in their games except when they played Cincy. The first of those 2 humiliations was also in Week 7, before the sky fell in for them.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They also had multiple players on their defense have career years all at the same time. Lightening in a bottle. They will score a ton of point. The difference is they will give up a ton too.

Their (Bengals) defense was pretty middle of the pack. 17th in points and 18th in yards. That tells me they will likely either improve on defense or at worse not fall off that much. That said, I have no idea who they have gained or lost on that side of the ball.

Lamar is a limited passer and electric runner, you can win 10+ Regular season games every year with Lamar.

The playoffs are a much different animal, well coached teams with elite QBs creates a much more difficult obstacle for Lamar’s limitations. 

1. Bills 12-5 ⬆️ 

2. Bengals 12-5 ⬆️

3. Chiefs 11-6 ⬇️ 

4. Colts 11-6 ⬆️

=================
5. Chargers 11-6 ⬆️

6. Ravens 10-7 ⬆️

7. Broncos 10-7 ⬆️

==================
8. Steelers 10-7 ⬆️

9. Titans 10-7 ⬇️

10. Dolphins 9-8 ⬆️

11. Raiders 9-8 ➡️

12. Jaguars 8-9 ⬆️

13. Browns 4-13 ⬇️

14. Texans 3-14 ➡️

15. Jets 3-14 ➡️

16. Patriots 1-16 ⬇️

==================
Wild Card

#7 Broncos < #2 Bengals

#6 Ravens < #3 Chiefs

#5 Chargers > #4 Colts

Div

#5 Chargers < #1 Bills

#3 Chiefs > #2 Bengals

AFCC

#3 Chiefs < #1 Bills

• Like (+1) 1

The playoffs:

Bills 17-0

Chargers 13-4

Bengals 12-5

Colts 11-6

Chiefs 11-6

Ravens 11-6

Dolphins 10-7

Just missed - in the hunt awards!

Raiders 10-7

Broncos 10-7

Titans 9-8

Jags 8-9

Steelers 7-10

Watson'd: 

Browns 6-11

A fun team:

Texans 5-12

Robert Saleh Tier:

Jets 4-13

Patriots 3-14

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/16/2022 at 5:51 PM, ProcessTruster said:

boy this board gonna explode if the Bills lose a game... way, way too much hype. 

Let's go play the games and see how they do, shall we?  

Honestly it would not surprise me if the Bills have an undefeated season. The talent is loaded that much. I honestly don’t know how a team can cover Diggs, A more powerful Davis,  A more polished McKenzie, Shakir, and Cook going out for a pass. 

Not to mention a revamped Defense that was already fairly good in their own right. Rousseau, Oliver, Settle, and Miller are going to absolutely feast, and we got White back.  #1 O and D. 

52 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

The playoffs:

Bills 17-0

Chargers 13-4

Bengals 12-5

Colts 11-6

Chiefs 11-6

Ravens 11-6

Dolphins 10-7

Just missed - in the hunt awards!

Raiders 10-7

Broncos 10-7

Titans 9-8

Jags 8-9

Steelers 7-10

Watson'd: 

Browns 6-11

A fun team:

Texans 5-12

Robert Saleh Tier:

Jets 4-13

Patriots 3-14

I can legitimately see the Bills going undefeated. We are battle tested, hungry, and improved. Our defense is going to be so good, that even if our Oline struggles, it won’t matter as Allen will have numerous times to score and Araiza pinning teams back if necessary. Going to be an epic epic year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins&#x27; Rib said:

Their (Bengals) defense was pretty middle of the pack. 17th in points and 18th in yards. That tells me they will likely either improve on defense or at worse not fall off that much. That said, I have no idea who they have gained or lost on that side of the ball.

Which was a fair step forward from 2020 and while Hendrikson for Lawson was an upgrade it wasn't such an upgrade to explain the jump. They just had 3 or 4 guys have career years at the same time. That is why I am not sure it sustains. Chidobe Awuze and Eli Apple is one of, if not the, worst starting corner combo in the league. They both did okay last year. There is scope for huge regression to the mean there.

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

100% agree. We saw only a portion of what Vick could've been when he came back after prison. He evolved into a far better passer but you could see the time away and age limited his full potential. I 100% believe Lamar can unlock that if they move that direction, but that needs to be an organizational switch which having Greg Roman doesn't exactly fit as he is big about running the ball.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, corta765 said:

100% agree. We saw only a portion of what Vick could've been when he came back after prison. He evolved into a far better passer but you could see the time away and age limited his full potential. I 100% believe Lamar can unlock that if they move that direction, but that needs to be an organizational switch which having Greg Roman doesn't exactly fit as he is big about running the ball.

You bring up a good point Corta.  Roman caters Lamar now and Harbaugh is going along as they were highly effective in the 12 and 13 personnel with all of those TE’s.

The problem is it stunts his development and he’ll never grow as a real QB.  His legs start to wear down and he won’t go anywhere.  It’s too bad as Lamar if Daboll was his OC, he may have grown over time.

On 8/16/2022 at 4:34 PM, corta765 said:

We are at the point rosters are more or less set outside of some camp battles and you have a general idea of who most teams are. Given the moves this offseason across the conference and league I can't see much happening in preseason that will change peoples opinions. I did this last year ranking each conference with a little blurb for each team. Today is the AFC and later the NFC this week. Agree, disagree, tell me I am idiot and the reason for all of the worlds issue, whatever lay out your thoughts lol:

The Class of the AFC:

Baltimore- Fun fact they were 8-3 and the 1 seed before the plague destroyed their team in 2021. Whether you love and don't love Lamar (count me as love) they have a strong defense and will impose their will. I believe they are due for a breakthrough postseason wise sooner then later

Buffalo- Super Bowl or bust no way around it between the addition of Von Miller and overall depth that has been added

Cincinnati- I think this Cincy team is better then last years but the record may only move up to 11-6 because of the division and conference. Regardless they are an explosive group

Kansas City- Tyreek takes a scary factor away on offense, but Mahomes is still there and until they are out they are always what feels like the team to beat after 4 straight AFC titles.

Los Angeles Chargers- Talent wise they can match anyone and they missed the playoffs off of playoff tiebreakers in 2021. I always question what they can do as ownership has forever been cheap and they have no homefield advantage in LA which feels like it will catch them. Either way if you said they are in the SB come February I wouldn't be the least bit shocked.

Playoff Contenders

Denver- Could Russ and crew take the crown year 1? Absolutely, but I think their best football will be in a year or two as a new coach and system is established. Regardless with Russ they are a playoff team.

Las Vegas- If you think they should be up higher I wouldn't disagree. But I would like to see the Raiders do more then just a wildcard appearance as that has been it with Carr.

Miami- Regardless of your belief in Tua (I think he's average with flashes) he just has a stacked lineup around him that he just needs to do enough to make the Phins a playoff team. Biggest issue is their schedule is a buzz saw up and down.

Cleveland*- They are their own category as no one for sure knows how long Watson plays. On paper, strictly paper they are incredibly solid at every spot and Watson pushes them up. But football is loaded with teams who on paper look great and flame out because of pressure and noise. I think they lose Watson for 12 games and limp to a 7-10 season as the pressure and noise mixed with no Watson beats them down. Could they do better? 100% but I honestly think no one has a solid read here.

Could be a playoff team, Could be 6-11 

Indianapolis Colts- If you buy Matt Ryan then they are a playoff contender, if you think he is past his prime they need the collective whole to carry this team. I am not a fan of their WR corp and I don't know how much more Taylor can do to carry the load.

Jacksonville Jaguars- Doug Pederson has take a young QB and went places before and now has one who pure talent wise is better then Wentz. I can easily see the Jags offense becoming good pretty quick if they can help build Lawrence confidence and decision making up. Urban wrecked things so bad people forget the hype and talent T Law has. The major question is if the defense can go from being an EZ-Pass to something that can hang around in games. For the record they are my dark horse pick this year and I have them winning the South.

New England Patriots- I actually think Mac Jones is pretty decent and could have a better year. I also look at what NE surrounded him with and outside of a Marino type heroic performance they have a tall task to compete to the playoffs. BB can only do so much to cover their holes against an AFC loaded with fast aggressive offenses and defenses not based in 1990 conservative football.

Pittsburgh Steelers- Their skill position group on offense can make noise, can Mitch or Kenny drive the car fast enough to stay up with the rest of their division? The defense will do enough to keep them in games, it is on the offense being potent enough.

Tennessee Titans- There is data that Derrick Henry already has started to decline going back to last year. They look weaker across the board and while I love Bobby Woods he is not AJ Brown. Their playoff hopes hinge on the Colts staying neutral and winning the division. 

On To The Draft

Houston- A successful season could be 3-14 as Mills shows he can be the guy and the rookies develop OR Mills isn't the guy and the rest of the young roster improves while getting a top 3 pick for QB

NY Jets- They already had a daunting task before the Wilson injury with the way the AFC is. Now you hope Wilson shows tangible improvement in less games then desired played, the offense has some pep while the defense becomes a formidable unit, and they finish 5-11 while getting wins over MIA and NE at home.

You didn't actually watch the games Baltimore played then if you think that because they were 8-3 they would have went on to win the number 1 seed.

They won at least 2-3 games via crazy last second comebacks that were clearly not sustainable methods of winning games.  I mean 4th and 19 on the last drive in the 4th quarter converted and then the all time record FG by Tucker off the crossbar and in to beat the Lions?  2 OT wins and a 1 point win over the Chiefs. They were much closer to a 6-5 team that had a lot of luck on their side to be 8-3 than a true 8-3 team. Their point differential in those 11 games was +25. Hardly a team that was running roughshod over opponents. By comparison, the Bills point differential in their first 11 games was +147, even with a 7-4 record.

They are squarely in the second tier for me and probably in the bottom of that tier.  Their WR situation got worse this offseason.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You didn't actually watch the games Baltimore played then if you think that because they were 8-3 they would have went on to win the number 1 seed.

They won at least 2-3 games via crazy last second comebacks that were clearly not sustainable methods of winning games.  I mean 4th and 19 on the last drive in the 4th quarter converted and then the all time record FG by Tucker off the crossbar and in to beat the Lions?  2 OT wins and a 1 point win over the Chiefs. They were much closer to a 6-5 team that had a lot of luck on their side to be 8-3 than a true 8-3 team. Their point differential in those 11 games was +25. Hardly a team that was running roughshod over opponents. By comparison, the Bills point differential in their first 11 games was +147, even with a 7-4 record.

They are squarely in the second tier for me and probably in the bottom of that tier.  Their WR situation got worse this offseason.

You could legitimately say the same about the Bills in 2020 as they beat held off the Phins week 2 in quasi shootout, the Rams last second, and needed a fumble against the Pats at home to win that game. I agree with you on point differential as I value you that pretty highly, but the Ravens have consistently been a high performing team for two decades now and since Lamar has arrived they have been even better.

To me they have earned the right to be favored highly but I do think your points are valid. Rico and Machine Gun Kelly and I were commenting that the Ravens are probably holding back and stunting Lamar's growth as a passer by the lack of help WR. I understand the idea of trying to mold the offense in form of 2019 look wise, but Lamar can only go so far before his body will break down enough to neutralize some of his athleticism. I don't doubt he can be a great passer in a passing offense but it doesn't happen overnight and the longer they wait the more detrimental it is to them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.