Terry Hills—Jim Kelly’s 35th Annual Celeb Golf Tournament

NoHuddleKelly12

Did a quick search and didn’t see it posted yet—optimism for this year’s Bills abounded in spades amongst the alum participants, and it’s always good to see how the familiar faces from our collective past fandoms are doing! 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/optimism-abounds-for-bills-upcoming-season-at-jim-kellys-annual-charity-golf-tournament/article_732ae920-1cd4-11ed-b2c8-036275050c5d.amp.html

https://www.terryhills.com/jim-kelly-celebrity-golf-classic

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ah, OK, this quote goes here.

Jim Kelly is not a fan of the Josh Allen called runs and he let Ken Dorsey know about it:

“I think we all know, it’s an old cliche now, but they’ve got to stay healthy. We’ve got to keep our starting players healthy,” said the Bills Hall of Fame quarterback. “I’ve already had a talk with Ken Dorsey. He was one of my speakers at my football camp. And I said limit the amount of called plays for Josh to run. I get the scrambling. But I don’t want to see him eight to 10 times on a keeper put in from the sideline. No. We don’t need all that.”

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/sports/bills-legends-kelly-polian-talley-provide-outlook-for-2022-bills-at-jim-kelly-celebrity-golf/article_8c99d581-abd2-5d0c-bb8f-40a336feb45a.html

16 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Jim Kelly is not a fan of the Josh Allen called runs and he let Ken Dorsey know about it:

https://www.thedailynewsonline.com/sports/bills-legends-kelly-polian-talley-provide-outlook-for-2022-bills-at-jim-kelly-celebrity-golf/article_8c99d581-abd2-5d0c-bb8f-40a336feb45a.html

Yeah, and when I read that the first thing that popped into my head was, "shut up, Jim."

• Agree 2

19 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

1 minute ago, eball said:

Yeah, and when I read that the first thing that popped into my head was, "shut up, Jim."

I've been saying it for years, @eball.  You had your turn, Jim.  Your opinions mean nothing.

• Like (+1) 2

^^^Jim not being an uber fan of designed runs would place him squarely in the category of many other posters here who feel similarly. How much grief did many of us, myself included, shovel Daboll's way for constantly throwing Josh to the wolves even in situations/game circumstances where it felt forced or was flat out unnecessary? Josh is big boy, he can handle the decision making/feel for when it's best that he takes off running, invariably picking up chunk yards which we all can applaud...but the designed keepers are not normally as effective and expose Josh to more hits than he otherwise would have to take, imo. Anyway, Jim is entitled as much to his opinion as anyone else around here, actually more so than pretty much most of us armchair QB's who've never lived it in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

^^^Jim not being an uber fan of designed runs would place him squarely in the category of many other posters here who feel similarly. How much grief did many of us, myself included, shovel Daboll's way for constantly throwing Josh to the wolves even in situations/game circumstances where it felt forced or was flat out unnecessary? Josh is big boy, he can handle the decision making/feel for when it's best that he takes off running, invariably picking up chunk yards which we all can applaud...but the designed keepers are not normally as effective and expose Josh to more hits than he otherwise would have to take, imo. Anyway, Jim is entitled as much to his opinion as anyone else around here, actually more so than pretty much most of us armchair QB's who've never lived it in the NFL.

The designed keepers near the goal line are extremely effective. There is a reason why he has 31 rushing TDs already and why he is the only player in NFL history with a plethora of rushing TD related numbers in multiple seasons 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The designed keepers near the goal line are extremely effective. There is a reason why he has 31 rushing TDs already and why he is the only player in NFL history with a plethora of rushing TD related numbers in multiple seasons 

I'm not disagreeing with a call like that in certain situations. It just felt like Daboll sometimes called keepers just for the sake of calling them, as opposed to a situational context. Will be curious to see how Dorsey chooses to continue to emphasize them or not.

Again, it's not about Josh running. He does it better than just about any other QB out there, especially on broken plays. It's about picking your spots to utilize a weapon like that--a weapon we need to protect at all costs.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/buccaneers/josh-allen-injury-bucs-bruce-arians-questions-bills-usage-qb  

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

The bolded is absolutely true, but Jim offering his opinion publicly as if he has input into the Bills' offense is not helping anyone.  If word of that got to Dorsey I'm pretty certain I know what his reaction was.

12 minutes ago, eball said:

The bolded is absolutely true, but Jim offering his opinion publicly as if he has input into the Bills' offense is not helping anyone.  If word of that got to Dorsey I'm pretty certain I know what his reaction was.

I'm sure every OC in Buffalo since Kelly retired spent most of the preseason rolling their eyes.  It was even worse when Reed and Thomas were also up their asses every day.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said about the running. 

We heard it a bunch all last year about Daboll running allen on qb keepers.  It's just his opinion like everyone else's on here but since it's him you think that all the sudden dorsey is going to throw them out?

The only time I want allen running is 4th and short or when he's scrambling.  But he's still going to get qb draws called and I live with it. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

7 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I honestly don't see anything wrong with what he said about the running. 

We heard it a bunch all last year about Daboll running allen on qb keepers.  It's just his opinion like everyone else's on here but since it's him you think that all the sudden dorsey is going to throw them out?

The only time I want allen running is 4th and short or when he's scrambling.  But he's still going to get qb draws called and I live with it. 

I doubt Dorsey and Allen want a very famous former QB opining on how to run their offense.

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm sure every OC in Buffalo since Kelly retired spent most of the preseason rolling their eyes.  It was even worse when Reed and Thomas were also up their asses every day.

C’mon the guy is a fan and a part of Bills history.  You’re being a little harsh. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I doubt Dorsey and Allen want a very famous former QB opining on how to run their offense.

Opinions are like ass holes; Everyone has one. (No disrespect to Kelly but his opinion shouldn't matter).

Yes he was a very famous former qb, that hasn't played the game in almost 30 years.   It's a different game from when he played, harder even back then, so I don't see why they would all the sudden throw out what they have been working on for 2 months because of his comment. 

Dorsey likely already had a game plan in place while Daboll was still the OC in the he became the OC.

The good OCs can bend, but Jim's comment was more of a "break" statement which I don't think will happen with the plan they have. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.