Who backs up Davis?

GreggTX

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Fans also seem to think that Shakir's performance at the weekend shows he is an outside receiver. But I think only one of those catches came on a snap where he was lined up outside. He looks much more comfortable in the slot. As to your point about what happens by mid season, I have long since said that I think by the season's end Shakir will be the guy in the slot. He isn't going to get first go there, but by the end of this season I expect him to have forced his way onto the field as the starter there. When in the season that happens might depend on injury and/or McKenzie's form. 

I definitely do not rule out the Bills making a move at outside receiver, whether that is bringing in a cut, or a low value trade or whatever. They are thin there. Let's see whether they seriously think Hodgins has a shot. If they do he will get some run with the starting (I mean as in starting pre-season) group this weekend. If most of his action comes with Barkley against 3s again then they have already made their decision on him. 

Those two nice sideline plays were plays where he started in the slot and ran a combination route with the outside receiver running a post and Shakir running an out breaking route. 

You're clinging to your pre-draft analysis. It's ok to be wrong every so often. 

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Shakir at this point is my best guess.  He’s a shrimp but performed well against the Colts first string defense even if they were in a vanilla scheme.  I expect him to play the exact role Davis did last year.  I just wish we had better options.

He's 6'0" which isn't Gabe Davis tall but hardly a shrimp. I agree he'll be in the Davis backup on the outside/slot role as either Beane or McDermott said he'd have it earlier this preseason. Which to me put him around the 4th/5th on the depth chart. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not I am basing it on what I saw on Saturday. When I see something to change my mind, I will change it. That has been proven many times. 

I actually think McKenzie has a really, really good year.  I think he finally gets his true shot and remains in the line up.

The chemistry he has with Allen seems to be very strong and I think Allen will trust him more....McDermott too.  

I think he's "uncoverable" like Beasley was but adds more athleticism.  

Another poster mentioned it in a thread and said that Shakir reminds him of Robert Woods....I really agree with that.  

Probably projects better in the slot but I think he can play outside as well....at least as depth.  

18 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Lack of outside WR depth has hit a level of insanity this offseason.  I'll be thr first to admit I was wrong, if that plays out

It's gone a bit wonky for sure. I'm not exactly sure what people expect anymore. There are times I read comments from some people here and you'd think what they want is an All-Pro top five player at every single position and then second team All-Pro top twenty players as backups. It's absurd. Every team deals with depth issues. 

I personally feel like they're fine at WR. Diggs has been nothing but consistent. Davis takes over at WR2 and I think he's more than ready and will be fine. McKenzie definitely seems like he's solidified the slot. Crowder isn't a terrible Plan B by any means. Shakir looked great in the first preseason game, can't look too far ahead after one game but his versatility opens things up for them. Hodgins was said to have some of the best hands of the 2020 WR prospects and he's finally healthy and getting a shot. 

And then it seems like people forget that Knox, Howard, and Cook will be regular targets and then Singletary and Moss both do fine catching the checkdowns. 

I dunno, I guess I prefer to be optimistic and chat about the positives. Life's too short to be dissecting the roster and camp reports and GM quotes and all that stuff just so one can jump on here and post all the things they think prove them right. People have such a weird desire for validation. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.