Who backs up Davis?

GreggTX

4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Zay Jones

The Jax homer announcers were practically self-fellating themselves over his potential during the first pre-season game.  

Plus, I've heard of him

You were watching pre-season game of Jacksonville ?????

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, eball said:

Help me with the fuzzy math here.  Crowder has a 75% chance of making the team, McKenzie "has shown a propensity to lose every job" (huh?), no mention at all of Hodgins, and that adds up to a "good" possibility Shakir is the starting slot receiver by mid-season?

You made more sense when you were just leaving out pertinent quotes.

I won't at all be surprised if the Bills sign OBJ once he's healthy.  It makes a lot of sense going into the stretch run for this team.

Diggs, Davis are currently 1 & 2.

McKenzie has taken hold of the slot position after a fabulous TC; it was also aided by the absence of Crowder during camp.

Shakir is a team draft pick that they love and he has shown his flashes during TC and Preseason,  He takes #4

Usually  #6 WR is also expected to play ST.   Jake Kumerow has the inside track to that 6th spot as Tavon Austin, Crowder and Hodgins DON'T play ST. 

That leaves only the #5 WR spot - It boils down to Crowder, Tavon Austin and Hodgins.   Hodgins played well in the pre-season game.  Is it enough though?

Crowder and Austin are known football players.  Crowder has excelled in the slot while Austin has played all positions.  Do the Bills want a pure slot receiver or wiling to look for a more all-round player.  If  it is the former, then it is possibly Crowder in the 53-man roster; otherwise it is most likely Tavon Austin.  It would be interesting to know why Austin did not play the preseason.  Was he held out like a 'starter' or was he injured?   If it was the former, then he probably has a lock on that 5th WR spot already!

Go Bills !

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, hemma said:

I think they’ll go with Tenuda.

This could be big!  Not necessarily good, but big.

On a more serious note, the answer could depend on the situation.  What is the skill set of the cornerback the replacement will be facing?  If it is a small, quick CB, I might like the matchup Hodgins provides.  Hodgins can box him out like a basketball player and outreach him easily.  If the CB is bigger, and not as athletic, then McDermott might decide Shakir's quickness and moves will give him an advantage in creating separation.  Both receivers have great hands.  

Edited by BigAl2526
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, ganesh said:

You were watching pre-season game of Jacksonville ?????

It was more to see what happened with Watson than anything else.  But god help me, I lived in Jacksonville for 2 years.  I went to one game and that was only with free tickets.  Never again

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think Shakir sees the lions share of the Davis touches on the outside.  

He really shone making plays along the sideline Saturday. Contested sideline catch,   And a footwork sideline catch, sitting down in vertical Seam….  Really impressed.  Didn’t look like a rookie.

absolutely get the woods comps.  

Shakir at this point is my best guess.  He’s a shrimp but performed well against the Colts first string defense even if they were in a vanilla scheme.  I expect him to play the exact role Davis did last year.  I just wish we had better options.

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He really shone making plays along the sideline Saturday. Contested sideline catch,   And a footwork sideline catch, sitting down in vertical Seam….  Really impressed.  Didn’t look like a rookie.

A little surprising, like Gabe Davis was coming out of Covid-summer. You knew a little bit about him, but we (I?) actually saw Davis first in the opener when we came out with 3-4 wide on the first possession. It was was a quick “WHOA! What do we have here?”

Doubt we can get that lucky again so soon, but it was a pleasant surprise!  

I remember feeling bad years ago for the players who didn't make the Bills final 53 or practice squad.   Often that meant they were entirely out of football.  If you couldn't make the Bills, you were unlikely to make it anywhere.  In fact, some of our "final" 53 guys ended up out of football because we'd sign some of the guys cut by other teams who were good enough to bump someone off our weak roster.

Now, it's very different.  Some of the guys we cut are going to make the roster of other teams.  Beane, overall, hasn't just improved the quality of the starting 22.  We now have depth guys who are pretty good.  

I think a couple of the wideouts we cut loose will find new NFL homes pretty quickly.  

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

If Davis (or Diggs) goes down for a couple games, who starts in his place?

Right now it’s definitely Khalil Shakir. On our first drive in which Shakir caught three passes, he lined up outside on every play….

I think he definitely can do it. He looks like a NFL already. I expect him to have a year similar to the one Gabriel Davis had his rookie year…. We’ve got this!

Go Bills!

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Right now it certainly looks like Shakir is the fourth WR, i.e. the primary backup to all three of Diggs, Davis, and McKenzie.

Hodgins could also earn a depth spot at outside WR with a couple more strong preseason outings.

You're forgetting Crowder, he is a lock.  Kumerow is too for special teams and way more experience than Hodge/Shakir.

If you guys went to any of the last 5 camp sessions then you saw Crowder ball out.  He's gonna be Mr 3rd down from the slot this year.

Unless we keep 7 WR, Hodge goes to PS.

13 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

You're forgetting Crowder, he is a lock.  Kumerow is too for special teams and way more experience than Hodge/Shakir.

If you guys went to any of the last 5 camp sessions then you saw Crowder ball out.  He's gonna be Mr 3rd down from the slot this year.

Unless we keep 7 WR, Hodge goes to PS.

I didn’t forget Crowder.   

The question posed by the OP is who backs up the outside WR spots. Shakir and Hodgins and Kumerow are all more likely to do that than Crowder, who is solely a slot. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

A little surprising, like Gabe Davis was coming out of Covid-summer. You knew a little bit about him, but we (I?) actually saw Davis first in the opener when we came out with 3-4 wide on the first possession. It was was a quick “WHOA! What do we have here?”

Doubt we can get that lucky again so soon, but it was a pleasant surprise!  

maybe it’s not all luck… this front office and coaching staff has been imo sneaky good at finding talent and getting production at WR.  

even go back to Zay Jones… he’s always had they physical talent, just had issues between the ears. Decent player now none the less, just we elsewhere. And he’s their miss! (Ok Anquan Boldin) 

but

Diggs was a great get, was good in minny but still had upside, first team all pro in fact.. they were right.

Davis, you’ve covered that… mike Evans 2.0 upside potential imo

john brown overachieved

Beasley over achieved

Mckenzie, we will see but he did flash for several games already 

ray ray mcloud even looks solid for the Steelers but they could only keep so many. 

jury is still out on Stevenson and Hodgens (6th rounders) but it’s Impressive they are still around. Even Austin Proehl is still bouncing around the nfl. 

Shakir just might be the next good get for the FO, where they simply were evaluating the right things to find a quality wr. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's a good question.

Fans are assuming that it's Shakir now.........but with Crowder having a very poor camp and possibly not even making the roster(even Shill Capaccio says 25% chance he gets cut at this point).........and McKenzie having not been a full time starter anywhere since he was in High School(and has shown a propensity to lose every job he's been given in the NFL).........there is a good possibility that Shakir could end up the starting slot receiver by mid-season.

They are thin outside.........the GM knows it.    I don't think they will call it a day with either Kumerow or Hodgins.   A move is likely to be made in camp or in-season.   Too much on the line to risk going into the playoffs with holes in the passing game.    TE, Guard, backup LT..........all also positions that could stand fortifying.

Fans also seem to think that Shakir's performance at the weekend shows he is an outside receiver. But I think only one of those catches came on a snap where he was lined up outside. He looks much more comfortable in the slot. As to your point about what happens by mid season, I have long since said that I think by the season's end Shakir will be the guy in the slot. He isn't going to get first go there, but by the end of this season I expect him to have forced his way onto the field as the starter there. When in the season that happens might depend on injury and/or McKenzie's form. 

I definitely do not rule out the Bills making a move at outside receiver, whether that is bringing in a cut, or a low value trade or whatever. They are thin there. Let's see whether they seriously think Hodgins has a shot. If they do he will get some run with the starting (I mean as in starting pre-season) group this weekend. If most of his action comes with Barkley against 3s again then they have already made their decision on him. 

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Those two nice sideline plays were plays where he started in the slot and ran a combination route with the outside receiver running a post and Shakir running an out breaking route. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.