Thoughts about starters during the rest of preseason

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Should starters see the field during preseason?  

178 members have voted

1. 1. [Poll] Whaddya think? Do the major starters get/need any playing time before season starts?

• No friggin' way - I know what they can do and I want no injuries. I wanna see more of the 2s and 3s to evaluate.
    • Yes, this week. Knock some rust off, game action with new coaches, develop timing. Home game, extra week to recover should any nicks happen. Make the kids happy!
    • Yes, next week. Closer to season, get used to operating on the road

Same as last year.  Play the one’s the first quarter to half of the last preseason game to help knock the rust off and get in rhythm for the Rams game.  You risk injury just getting out of bed in the morning.  It’s part of life.

Edited by Doc Brown

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm still trying to figure out the new preseason plan across the league now that they're down to 3 preseason games. It USED to be, the 3rd game was the dress rehearsal with all the starters, and then the 4th game was for all the backups and deep roster battles.

Not sure if they bump it up and have week 2 be the starters rehearsal, and week 3 be the backup battles. Or if we wait until week 3 to play the starters.

Either way, I think they will get SOME time. They need to get out and have at least 1 series of live, full speed action.

I think playing the starters this week makes the most sense.

It seems to be varied.  I think most coaches would prefer the 3rd game be treated like the old 4th game, but with the cuts after game #1 and game #2  - you end up having to play some guys more than you want.

I expect you will see a series or 2 from the starters at home because that gives a couple of weeks to get ready and see what to work on. Then the starting 22 sit week 3, but the remaining guys get a lot of action.  

With the tiered cut approach and only 3 games - it almost forces teams into playing guys in game 3 they want to sit just because of depth and positional needs.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Should starters see the field during preseason?

If they aren't going to play 6-8 series this preseason..........don't play them in any.

I don't see anything to gain from a series or two in each of the next couple games.

Also.........the reality is that the opener is one of the least strategically important games on their schedule...........if they were opening up with the Chiefs or Bengals.........I might see using starters in the preseason a bit differently.

The debate goes back and forth but I’ve always felt it was better to get the guys out there together for at least a full quarter so they can mesh in live action. Whether that quarter is in week two or three of preseason I’ll leave to the coaches. This is especially true for the offensive line, who really have to work as a cohesively timed unit. If you’re worried about injuries then it is that much different if someone goes down in the first series of Week One? Really? 

• Like (+1) 1

Josh and Diggs only  need a few reps in each of the next 2 to knock rust off.  

The starting OL definitely needs to play a lot.   Some new players, a new OL coach, a new OC, and lots of OL starters missed camp.   The OL is the area I worry about on this team.  

I read the poll and I can assure you the Buffalo Bills don’t give a damn about making the kids happy over staying healthy. You will see more starters but for a very short period of time. I expect Keenum with the same WRs and a better Oline for a very short period of time. 

Defensively your literally going to see the same defense as week 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

The debate goes back and forth but I’ve always felt it was better to get the guys out there together for at least a full quarter so they can mesh in live action. Whether that quarter is in week two or three of preseason I’ll leave to the coaches. This is especially true for the offensive line, who really have to work as a cohesively timed unit. If you’re worried about injuries then it is that much different if someone goes down in the first series of Week One? Really? 

This is 100% a fans expectation.

Players from all over the league say they don't need or see a reason to play in preseason.  Most of them play to not get hurt anyways.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.