EDIT: RIP Len Dawson (was HOF’er Len Dawson in Hospice)

Rico

4 hours ago, Chas56 said:

Always respected him. I hope this time is peaceful for him and his family. I was a fan of his, and I liked Hank and the whole team really. The 60’s were odd (for a number of reasons). I was young and a fan of Cleveland, Buffalo, Dallas and Kansas City at different times.

Hank Stram, another great Boilermaker. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Broke my seven year old heart when I watched him and the Chiefs kick our asses in the ‘66 AFL championship game. Always liked him and those Chiefs teams and rooted for them often, especially during SB IV against the Vikes. 

Travel well, Len Dawson. 

I was at that game, knew it was over for that Bills team. Other than that game, like you, I rooted for that Chief’s team. 

“Leonard” could certainly “matriculate” the ball down the field.

• Like (+1) 3

Thanks for posting this news.

I always had an admiration for the great teams and players of that era. Len Dawson and Daryle Lamonica each had 3 AFL Championships. So did George Blanda. Jack Kemp won 2. I remember several great games between the Chiefs and Raiders from those days. It was during the early days of colored television and their uniforms were an amazing contrast and feast for the eyes. There's something like 18 Hall of Famers from just those two teams from the late 60s and early 70s and the Dawson/Lamonica battles were a contrast in styles... like watching a boxer vs a slugger. I often wondered if they were friends in retirement so intertwined were their careers.

Thoughts and prayers to the great Len Dawson and his family. Thank you for all the great memories.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Those 60’s/70’s Chief teams were loaded! HOFers & superstars on OL -Buddy, Tyrer, Holub, 1-eyed TE Fred Arbanas, Garrett, McVey, Holmes, Pitts and, of course Otis Taylor. Defense led by Buck Buchanan, Aaron Brown, Curly Culp, Jim Lynch, Willie Lanier, Jim Marsellis, Johnny Robinson & Bobby Bell. Jan Stenerud? Are you effin’ kidding me?!

Then, there was Lenny.

• Like (+1) 3

I always respected Dawson. I still remember the 31-7 drubbing we took at War Memorial back in the "66 AFL Championship. If it couldn't have been us going, I was okay with the Chiefs.  I also remember the Raiders Ben Davidson giving Dawson a cheap shot (which Davidson was noted for), and then Otis Taylor going after Davidson.

13 hours ago, K-9 said:

sqr2cn2acbnuorp2gasw

65 Toss Power Trap!

• Like (+1) 5

56 minutes ago, Sargent Hulka said:

I always respected Dawson. I still remember the 31-7 drubbing we took at War Memorial back in the "66 AFL Championship. If it couldn't have been us going, I was okay with the Chiefs.  I also remember the Raiders Ben Davidson giving Dawson a cheap shot (which Davidson was noted for), and then Otis Taylor going after Davidson.

65 Toss Power Trap!

Nothing better than games where 2 good teams really hate each other, and nobody hated each other back then more than the Raiders and the Chiefs. 

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, 298Woody said:

Every Cleveland game was on tv in Buffalo back then.

Yes, I remember those days. Black & white TV watching the Browns. And then that all changed with the Bills being part of

"that new league".            Go Bills.

19 hours ago, K-9 said:

Broke my seven year old heart when I watched him and the Chiefs kick our asses in the ‘66 AFL championship game. Always liked him and those Chiefs teams and rooted for them often, especially during SB IV against the Vikes. 

Travel well, Len Dawson. 

Ditto here too K-9. Only I was 18 then.

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Those 60’s/70’s Chief teams were loaded! HOFers & superstars on OL -Buddy, Tyrer, Holub, 1-eyed TE Fred Arbanas, Garrett, McVey, Holmes, Pitts and, of course Otis Taylor. Defense led by Buck Buchanan, Aaron Brown, Curly Culp, Jim Lynch, Willie Lanier, Jim Marsellis, Johnny Robinson & Bobby Bell. Jan Stenerud? Are you effin’ kidding me?!

Then, there was Lenny.

Ed Podolak deserves a mention.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.