Jimmy G trade market dry due to his offseason disappearing acts?

Big Turk

I did a search and do not see this being discussed anywhere else on the boars. If this is in some weird catch all topic that I am supposed to know about, I don't see what that would be so I am posting it in a new thread. Feel free to move it if you feel the need to.

This article is interesting...basically suggests Jimmy G changed once he got his big contract and went MIA during off seasons not returning texts or calls from teammates, coaches or front office members of the 49ers for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Made the 49ers question how much his heart was in it as the franchise QB and turned them sour on him over time as it continued to happen every offseason.

If so...perhaps his attitude and perceived lack of commitment is what is getting him shipped out more than his play and constant injuries.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/49ers-trey-lance-jimmy-garoppolo-17365836.php

Edited by Big Turk

I'm sure that he's not much of a turd blossom as folks like Jay Cutler or Jeff George, but I would say the bigger mitigating factor is the $20M salary cap figure that he's currently carrying and the fact that it's now less than 4 weeks until Week 1.  

The ship has sailed for anyone trading anything worthwhile for him when they could just wait for the Niners to blink and issue his release once healthy

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

7 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm sure that he's not much of a turd blossom as folks like Jay Cutler or Jeff George, but I would say the bigger mitigating factor is the $20M salary cap figure that he's currently carrying and the fact that it's now less than 4 weeks until Week 1.  

The ship has sailed for anyone trading anything worthwhile for him when they could just wait for the Niners to blink and issue his release once healthy

I find an odd decision that the 49ers have made to hold him out of camp until the decision is reached. If you have any plans for him in your future, even be it in a trade, the guy should at least be at camp and be a veteran to help develop Trey. By holding him out, they are showing their cards and acknowledging that he is not going to be part of this team going forward. Why would any team take on that contract knowing that it is likely that they don’t have to? They can just sign him once he is released and the 9ers have seen the trade market look like the Mojave the entire offseason.

Edited by MiltonWaddams
  • Agree 4

51 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I did a search and do not see this being discussed anywhere else on the boars. If this is in some weird catch all topic that I am supposed to know about, I don't see what that would be so I am posting it in a new thread. Feel free to move it if you feel the need to.

This article is interesting...basically suggests Jimmy G changed once he got his big contract and went MIA during off seasons not returning texts or calls from teammates, coaches or front office members of the 49ers for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Made the 49ers question how much his heart was in it as the franchise QB and turned them sour on him over time as it continued to happen every offseason.

If so...perhaps his attitude and perceived lack of commitment is what is getting him shipped out more than his play and constant injuries.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/49ers-trey-lance-jimmy-garoppolo-17365836.php

Yeah this is crazy and the risk with any player that signs for “life money.”  There are always two sides to every story but the situation looks pretty ugly right now.

I’m not any Jimmy G truther. But isn’t the timeline that they gave him his contract in 2019. He goes on IR midway through 2020. Then they gave up a bunch of picks to draft his replacement in 2021?

To say they just paid him and he suddenly went dark feels disingenuous.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

him not showing up has little to no impact on any team's interest in him.. 

The factors are compensation to trade for him, his salary, his injury history and playing ability. 

What team out there *NEEDS* Jimmy G? Seattle.. maybe.. and they clearly seem to be of the mind that they can live without him and wait until they can pick him up without giving up assets. 

Edited by Malazan

Just now, teef said:

they mentioned today that the jets could be a landing spot depending on the injury extent to wilson.

The Jets are not a landing spot and never have been. They believe Joe Flacco is good enough to fill in and are very high on him as a replacement for Wilson. They have zero interest in Jimmy G. That interest is all outside speculation.

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

The Jets are not a landing spot and never have been. They believe Joe Flacco is good enough to fill in and are very high on him as a replacement for Wilson. They have zero interest in Jimmy G. That interest is all outside speculation.

If Flacco is their safety net, we should all rejoice. Statues make for excellent tackle dummies for D linemen.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Malazan said:

Flacco would all but ensure yet another lost season for our good forum friend @Jimmy Spagnola:worthy:

2 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

If Flacco is their safety net, we should all rejoice. Statues make for excellent tackle dummies for D linemen.

1 minute ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Flacco would all but ensure yet another lost season for our good forum friend @Jimmy Spagnola:worthy:

I certainly don't agree with them. I'll borrow this from the Jets board to express my opinion:

x5fbKwo.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.