OJ Howard disappointing showing vs Indy

wppete

11 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Being on the field at the end of the game is not a good sign for a player like him.

When Howard came back out late in the game he seemed to be taking a number of snaps in the backfield.  Wonder if the staff wanted to get a look at him in Gilliam's H-Back role since there isn't really a direct backup (not that it is a huge role on this team). 

Also wanted to note that Howard (along with the other TE's, but Howard primarily) took a number of snaps lined up out wide.  Could be an interesting look and a way to create size mismatches depending on how the defense plays it.

20 minutes ago, babulator said:

The dead cap hit is brutal. I still like Tommy Sweeney, I hope we don't have to let him go as a result. Also, 3.2 mil is like 1/2 way to OBJ isn't it? 

If I'm reading it correctly, The Bills will lose cap space if Howard is cut. His cost in 2022 is 2.5mill which will balloon to 3.2mil if he is cut. They're spreading out his bonuses over 2yrs, but will have to eat the whole thing this year if he's not on the roster. 

I think the only way to get more cap space is to trade him.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, wppete said:

What looked concerning was OJs energy level and effort. At the very least he should be giving full effort and looking like he wants to be out there in battle. 

A fans perspective for sure,  all this “concern” is very likely misplaced, calm your hearts and minds, it was the first preseason game, one can not make hard conclusions from preseason, these games have specific purposes for the coaching and GM staffs, lots of teams and players have looked one way in preseason and another way during the season, both good and bad. 

Time for a relaxing 🍸& 🚬

Go Bills!!!

So you two thumbs down guys don’t like Martinis and cigarettes? 

😂🍸🚬

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

He’s always been a bust even before the Achilles issue. He will be on the roster but he can have a role. 

His role should be a lot like Lee Smith. Blocker and red zone target. That’s it. He’s not a seam stretcher or someone who gets vertical. Put him inline to block and catch a couple TDs and that 5 million doesn’t look as awful 

Edited by gonzo1105
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every year Beane hands out 1-2 of these head-scratchers.  Guessing he’d justify it with “hard to get free agents to come to Buffalo” which personally I feel is overblown.  They’ve got a bit of an issue identifying offensive skill players in their Pro Personnel dept.  

Soooooooo many issues!!

(If we ignore guys like John Brown, Cole Beasley, Stefon Diggs and Isaiah McKenzie who all fall under the category of skill position players brought in under the Pro Personnel Department)

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

My issue was more so their approach to the offensive personnel than anything else… for some odd reason you responded to his post about the pro personnel offensively by talking about me.😅

No "odd" reason at all..you gave a "like" to the post criticizing the pro personnel approach to offense.  I'm just calling you out for what you are...a known McD hater.

59 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Soooooooo many issues!!

(If we ignore guys like John Brown, Cole Beasley, Stefon Diggs and Isaiah McKenzie who all fall under the category of skill position players brought in under the Pro Personnel Department)

If you watched on Saturday you saw the difference between offense and defense in terms of depth and speed.  It should not be too difficult of find guys like McKenzie and John Brown on the street, let alone a developmental TE and a change-of-pace RB who can catch passes out of the backfield.  They simply cannot seem to do it on a consistent basis - Beasley was a win and Diggs was a major win but in terms of rounding out the offensive roster with speed and depth, there have been far too many misses.

12 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every year Beane hands out 1-2 of these head-scratchers.  Guessing he’d justify it with “hard to get free agents to come to Buffalo” which personally I feel is overblown.  They’ve got a bit of an issue identifying offensive skill players in their Pro Personnel dept.  

I'm sure some people still make this claim re: UFA's, even after signing Von Miller.  A ready-made excuse is difficult for some homers to give up when they need to defend the team at all costs.

As to WR and TE, I don't think the braintrust really values those positions like they do secondary and DL.  Most of their talent at WR since this regime took over was imported, either via trade or in UFA with only a 2nd (Zay) and 3rd (Knox) used there.  It's as if they find a reason not to draft offense because a more pressing need exists on the other side.   

2 hours ago, babulator said:

The dead cap hit is brutal. I still like Tommy Sweeney, I hope we don't have to let him go as a result. Also, 3.2 mil is like 1/2 way to OBJ isn't it? 

looks like we are stuck with him- will probably get 3 goal line TDs when no one covers him when he sneaks out but I do not expect any 25 yard catch and runs on 3rd and 15

54 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If you watched on Saturday you saw the difference between offense and defense in terms of depth and speed.  It should not be too difficult of find guys like McKenzie and John Brown on the street, let alone a developmental TE and a change-of-pace RB who can catch passes out of the backfield.  They simply cannot seem to do it on a consistent basis - Beasley was a win and Diggs was a major win but in terms of rounding out the offensive roster with speed and depth, there have been far too many misses.

sh!tty Tight ends are easy to find- fast , strong, good hands TEs are not: after Knox ours have 0 or 1 of those traits

I don't know of an NFL player that was the "same" post Achilles injury, and you never know how many suffer chronic tendinopathy post surgery.  

He's slower but I wouldn't be shocked to see him have close to 10 TDs this year.  He'll have plenty of red zone opportunities.  Teams don't have the personnel to cover all the weapons.  TE2 will be open.  

2 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

A fans perspective for sure,  all this “concern” is very likely misplaced, calm your hearts and minds, it was the first preseason game, one can not make hard conclusions from preseason, these games have specific purposes for the coaching and GM staffs, lots of teams and players have looked one way in preseason and another way during the season, both good and bad. 

Time for a relaxing 🍸& 🚬

Go Bills!!!

I get that but you have to look at his body of work. The guy has consistently under preformed. He played poorly in the Colts game vs back up units. This was his time to prove himself. He couldn't do much with Brady which is a big red flag. Thus far, training camp reports indicated inconsistency and subpar play. 

I get the glass half full thinking. However, he hasn't given me much to be optimistic about. 

Edited by newcam2012

14 hours ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Don’t forget Crowder. 

For the training camp sessions I saw, Crowder stood out.  Caught everything, great separation and very fast upfield for good YAC.  

Gotta remember he was rehabbing for most of camp.  The Colts drop was unfortunate but I think he will be an impact guy this year for us on 3rd downs.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that but you have to look at his body of work. The guy has consistently under preformed. He played poorly in the Colts game vs back up units. This was his time to prove himself. He couldn't do much with Brady which is a big red flag. Thus far, training camp reports indicated inconsistency and subpar play. 

I get the glass half full thinking. However, he hasn't given me much to be optimistic about. 

We’ll call it cautious optimism 👍

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wait what? It shouldn’t be too difficult to find guys like that on the street?

It’s actually incredibly difficult to find (productive) talent on the streets… if it was easy… we wouldn’t be having this discussion. 

15 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Unfortunately it looks like he is guaranteed a roster spot with a dead cap hit of 3.2 million. I just hope it doesn't force Ken Dorsey to try to make a role for him on offense with more two tight end sets than is necessary.

Well Beane has been known to get rid of those that aren't a good fit before & if he can get rid of him this season or trade the contract to another team like say the Pats i could see him doing that so all may not be lost just yet .

On 8/14/2022 at 5:38 PM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Unfortunately it looks like he is guaranteed a roster spot with a dead cap hit of 3.2 million. I just hope it doesn't force Ken Dorsey to try to make a role for him on offense with more two tight end sets than is necessary.

I thought the whole point of signing Howard was for an increased use of 12 personnel by Dorsey.  Both Sweeney & OJH look meh. And Wyndermyer is gonzo.  I think we'll be shopping the cuts real soon.  Right now not having a quality  TE2 is a big problem. Too bad we couldn't have put a few pounds on Duke and turn him into a TE.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.