OJ Howard disappointing showing vs Indy

wppete

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Hopefully he turns it around.  Sweeney has zero talent.  If Howard can just be average they can do so much out of a two TE set.  

Sweeney, a 6’5” 250lb 4 year NFL pro TE who’s loved by his team has no talent? Never wonder why you’re not taken seriously here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Every year Beane hands out 1-2 of these head-scratchers.  Guessing he’d justify it with “hard to get free agents to come to Buffalo” which personally I feel is overblown.  They’ve got a bit of an issue identifying offensive skill players in their Pro Personnel dept.  

DO they, though? We definitely didn't draft John Brown and Cole Beasley going into Allen's pivotal 2nd year. Those two probably helped #17 take a big step forward, yeah?

And then the following year, I'm pretty sure they didn't draft Stefon Diggs (even though he did COST draft capital to acquire). His acquisition seems to have been maybe the MOST instrumental roster development move, of course after trading up to draft Josh Allen. Pairing those two has been an unprecedented boon for the Bills offense and for the organization's culture overall. 

So while not every veteran offensive acquisition has been a home run, especially in years one and two of the new regime, they've knocked PLENTY out of the park where/when it's mattered.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Wow, one pre-season game and OJ #2 is trash. I'll wait til the real bullets fly to make any decisions. Bills fans always so quick to knock somebody down. 

I never judge anyone til I see them in games that matter before I throw shade. I mean Zack Moss was trash last year, but he looked good with the 3 carries he got Sat. I guess he should be our #1 back now, right?

Edited by Bubba Gump
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Sweeney, a 6’5” 250lb 4 year NFL pro TE who’s loved by his team has no talent? Never wonder why you’re not taken seriously here.

17 catches in 3 years of playing. 
If he is loved by his team why did his team bring in Howard to replace him?

22 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

They cut Hollister last year and he was doing better than OJ Howard.

Good point

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

DO they, though? We definitely didn't draft John Brown and Cole Beasley going into Allen's pivotal 2nd year. Those two probably helped #17 take a big step forward, yeah?

And then the following year, I'm pretty sure they didn't draft Stefon Diggs (even though he did COST draft capital to acquire). His acquisition seems to have been maybe the MOST instrumental roster development move, of course after trading up to draft Josh Allen. Pairing those two has been an unprecedented boon for the Bills offense and for the organization's culture overall. 

So while not every veteran offensive acquisition has been a home run, especially in years one and two of the new regime, they've knocked PLENTY out of the park where/when it's mattered.  

People like to complain - that’s all they do and they want to tell everyone about it 

He was targeted 1 time, a really High heater Keenum special in the end zone on the opening drive that had no chance of being caught. Don't know if he wasn't getting open or his # wasn't getting called. But that's not a lot of opportunities (Crowder was similar). Hope they give them more of a chance in the next preseason game.

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think he just needs to be a good run blocker and catch wide open passes out of play action.  That’s what a TE2 is imo.  

now, if Knox gets hurt…..we could be in real trouble. 

You nailed it NE.  If his speed doesn’t start coming out, the notion of 12 personnel is seemingly smaller and smaller.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Not even Beane can bat a thousand 

This is a good point what if Howard doesn’t make it but a guy like Benfotd does Is he still not doing well as a GM because the free agent didn’t pan out but his draft pick did GM’s have to be looked at on an overall body of work and beane has been fantastic

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

You nailed it NE.  If his speed doesn’t start coming out, the notion of 12 personnel is seemingly smaller and smaller.

I don’t think we’ll use it a ton, but we’ll use it regardless of his speed, in order to keep the opposing defenses honest and try to catch them vs smaller lineups.  Keeping this multiple and switching things up will be a focus of Dorsey’s offense if you ask me.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I don’t think we’ll use it a ton, but we’ll use it regardless of his speed, in order to keep the opposing defenses honest and try to catch them vs smaller lineups.  Keeping this multiple and switching things up will be a focus of Dorsey’s offense if you ask me.  

That was the exciting thing to me in Dorsey’s offense.  Switching from 10 to 11 to 12 to 21 personnel could make offense even better as Daboll was a bit predictable starting the 21 year, and then started getting more dynamic.  We should’ve beat the Steelers.

Now we have a pass catching RB, two TEs when needed and our typical three wide sets.  That’s not to neglect Motor who hopefully will see some playing time and even Moss for some 3rd and 1s.  

Im not afraid of using Allen in some running plays, but should be few and far between.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, wppete said:

Was excited to see how OJ Howard will look and be used against Indy but was very disappointed by his performance. Looks like low energy and not giving full effort. Anyone else notice that? 

I really like this signing but a part of me was also thinking if this dude cannot excel playing with Brady who loves throwing to TE'S then maybe he just does not have it. We shall see how good he can be once Allen gets in there

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Dude said:

I really like this signing but a part of me was also thinking if this dude cannot excel playing with Brady who loves throwing to TE'S then maybe he just does not have it. We shall see how good he can be once Allen gets in there

Niagara, consider as I’ve now lived in Tampa longer than growing up in Buffalo, Brady was always going to use Gronk first.  He also had Brate, their starting TE since Howard had his Achilles injury.

I don’t think he’s a blazer in speed, but should add something to the 12 personnel option.  Knox will always be the #1 option.

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I think the torn Achilles in 2020 robbed him of speed . He was never the same after that. 

wow, torn achilles?   Yep, that'll do it.   Hope he had a decent rookie contract, bc that might be the last one he gets .. this is why I generally don't begrudge the big contracts NFL players sometimes get.  It can all be over in an instant

5 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Wow, one pre-season game and OJ #2 is trash. I'll wait til the real bullets fly to make any decisions. Bills fans always so quick to knock somebody down. 

One pre-season game and two years with the most prolific TE utilizing QB in history kind of shows a trend line….

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Beane’s mantra is “draft, develop, retain” so he never plans to have to acquire significant contributors via free agency.  FA acquisitions to Beane are to provide competition and fight for roster spots…unless it’s a star player tagged to be a difference maker (Diggs, Miller).  The notion that Beane’s pro personnel department “can’t” evaluate offense is farcical — but that won’t stop guys like @ScottLaw from continuing to beat that drum.

We already know Scott has hated McDermott since he was hired and anything he says about him should be taken with a huge grain of salt.  The proof is right in his own words from 2017 when he called Sean “Coach McEgo” before McD’s Bills had even stepped foot on the field.  Can you imagine coming off a Rex Ryan regime and calling the next coach an egomaniac?

Back to OJ Howard:  he’s a former 1st rounder with loads of upside, signed to a very reasonable contract.  If he doesn’t work out it’s hardly disastrous.  I actually like Quentin Morris.

11 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Unfortunately it looks like he is guaranteed a roster spot with a dead cap hit of 3.2 million. I just hope it doesn't force Ken Dorsey to try to make a role for him on offense with more two tight end sets than is necessary.

The dead cap hit is brutal. I still like Tommy Sweeney, I hope we don't have to let him go as a result. Also, 3.2 mil is like 1/2 way to OBJ isn't it? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.