Preseason week 2: Broncos at Bills

YoloinOhio

On 8/15/2022 at 7:24 AM, Dr. K said:

This goes back to the fact that Ralph Wilson was from Detroit. When he started the Bills, he was looking over his shoulder at the Lions. In their first season, the Bills' uniforms were almost duplicates of the Lions' down to using the same colors. So the Bills always played the Lions in their last pre-season game. 

But that's such ancient history I don't see why they still do it.  

From a website about the Bills' uniforms:

"For the first two seasons of the Bills existence, the team's colors were Honolulu blue, silver, and white, the same colors as the Detroit Lions. Bills owner Ralph Wilson had been a minority owner of the Lions, and rumor has it the team's jerseys those two seasons were actually hand-me-downs from the Lions."

Maybe Ralph’s commitment to play the Lions finally expired.

2 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, the annual Bills-Lions preseason game was solely a Ralph thing. 

It seems like we have that going on with the Panthers now. I am surprised we didn't get the Giants as well. With Beane, Schoen, McDermott, and Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, muppy said:

we can only judge the data as it has been presented to us which so far is One game. He'll get his future chances. The Bills would be fools to vet this situation so quickly and they aren't fools. In the end I have to trust their judgments.

We have way more than one game worth of data on Keenum.  He's not a rookie, and there's lots of game film out there.

44 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

We have way more than one game worth of data on Keenum.  He's not a rookie, and there's lots of game film out there.

Fair enough. Although preceding page I already discussed this: in the Bills system it was his first game. As a Bill. Behind an OL of non starters . One game

Edited by muppy

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It wasn’t Josh it was Case Keenum with the ugly throw. I liked the move when they traded for him but he has been rough all preseason baaed on the reports from training camp. 

yeah we all know Josh didn’t throw the pass, that doesn’t explain whether he was part of the drill or just messing around. I figured maybe someone knew. 

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

It seems like we have that going on with the Panthers now. I am surprised we didn't get the Giants as well. With Beane, Schoen, McDermott, and Daboll.

Yes, I think there is something to be said for coaches wanting to "scrimmage" (because that's what preseason is) against organizations they know and respect.

If I had to pick a "perfect" Bills preseason it would be games against Carolina, the Giants, and another northeast/midwest NFC team (Packers/Vikings/Lions/Bears/Eagles/Commanders).

1 minute ago, eball said:

Yes, I think there is something to be said for coaches wanting to "scrimmage" (because that's what preseason is) against organizations they know and respect.

If I had to pick a "perfect" Bills preseason it would be games against Carolina, the Giants, and another northeast/midwest NFC team (Packers/Vikings/Lions/Bears/Eagles/Commanders).

Every team should play preseason games against the other conference. Take this week for example the Bills and Broncos could meet in the playoffs this year. I know teams have a vanilla game plan but why play against a team you might be fighting for a playoff spot with or play in the playoffs.

• Agree 2

38 minutes ago, eball said:

Washington makes sense as well with the Ron Rivera connection...completely agree with your logic here. 

Added bonus with the Giants...any Bills bubble players that have a bad game can just catch the Giants charter back to New Jersey.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/15/2022 at 7:24 AM, Dr. K said:

This goes back to the fact that Ralph Wilson was from Detroit. When he started the Bills, he was looking over his shoulder at the Lions. In their first season, the Bills' uniforms were almost duplicates of the Lions' down to using the same colors. So the Bills always played the Lions in their last pre-season game. From a website about the Bills' uniforms:

"For the first two seasons of the Bills existence, the team's colors were Honolulu blue, silver, and white, the same colors as the Detroit Lions. Bills owner Ralph Wilson had been a minority owner of the Lions, and rumor has it the team's jerseys those two seasons were actually hand-me-downs from the Lions."

On 8/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, sherpa said:

Charter costs.

Much cheaper to charter to Detroit, or to Buffalo for the Lions.

Less time lost in travel.

Years when they aren't playing each other, I'd expect this to continue.

Ralph was cheap.

In other observations, Dorsey doesn't look much like a football coach does he? He looks like a physician or something very white collary.

Also, what does Bruce Smith have tucked into the back of his pants?

5 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It wasn’t Josh it was Case Keenum with the ugly throw. I liked the move when they traded for him but he has been rough all preseason baaed on the reports from training camp. 

I'm, personally, going to be very concerned if Keenum has another bad game against Broncos this week.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.