Primetime thinks he’s too good for the Hall of Fame

Charles Romes

Deion Sanders complains the Hall has become a watered-down free-for-all and thinks there should be a special room for him and a very few select others. https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atlanta-deion-sanders-football-hall-of-fame-braves-dallas-cowboys-jackson-state

I tend to agree. I watched him closely when he played. He couldn’t really tackle but it was impossible to separate from him. The original lock-down corner. Add to that his return game and there are very few in his category. That’s not even counting the Primetime aspect. Last career pick six against the Bills in his mid 30s. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

3 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Deion Sanders complains the Hall has become a watered-down free-for-all and thinks there should be a special room for him and a very few select others. https://www.si.com/nfl/falcons/news/atlanta-deion-sanders-football-hall-of-fame-braves-dallas-cowboys-jackson-state

I tend to agree. I watched him closely when he played. He couldn’t really tackle but it was impossible to separate from him. The original lock-down corner. Add to that his return game and there are very few in his category. That’s not even counting the Primetime aspect. Last career pick six against the Bills in his mid 30s. 

I think Darrell Green would take some exception to that.

• Agree 1

I agree with him that it’s become watered down.

I watched this year’s induction ceremony though for what I considered to be a weak class, and was so impressed with the overall presentation. They did such a great job showing each man’s story/highlights/etc. that when it was over, I thought they all belonged.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Dislike 1

I agree it is watered down, but what a scummy thing to say for a HOFer - especially with the timing of the inductions.

Deion was all about 1 person and quite frankly - I rather see him removed from the Hall than given any credence. 

I wish the rest of the HOFers told him to Suck It and booted his sorry butt out.  He does not deserve the honor with that attitude.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Rico said:

I agree with him that it’s become watered down.

I watched this year’s induction ceremony though for what I considered to be a weak class, and was so impressed with the overall presentation. They did such a great job showing each man’s story/highlights/etc. that when it was over, I thought they all belonged.

I didn’t see it other than the Bryant Young speech linked here. Wow! That was very moving and I became a bigger fan. 

As for the HOF, it’s starting to feel like we need tiers. After you are in so many years, you might get “promoted” or something. Might be stupid, but it is getting crowded with a lot of “well above average” football players.

Sorry guys, some are ELITE, and some just got in during a weak class. 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

wasn’t that pick done by the Burger King?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Same argument goes on for every sport, there are always guys that likely should have been passed over, only an azs hole does what Deion did., but those sort are as well in every sport. I’m gonna go get another beer 🍺 

Go Bills!!!

IMHO only one guy this year (Boselli) deserved the induction to the HOF.  

There are guys on the semi finalist list with a lot better cases than several of these guys IMHO.  

I mean it’s not the Hall of the he very good.  It’s supposed to be the best of their eras.  

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/pro-football-hall-of-fame-reveals-26-semifinalists-for-class-of-2022

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I was speaking with an NFL Alumni earlier this morning. He said none of the guys this year belong in the hall. He mentioned Terrell Davis as another guy who had a questionable resume. 

I tend to agree but they've made such an even out of enshrinement weekend they really can't do what baseball does and have a year where only one or two (or zero) people get in.

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMHO only one guy this year (Boselli) deserved the induction to the HOF.  

There are guys on the semi finalist list with a lot better cases than several of these guys IMHO.  

I mean it’s not the Hall of the he very good.  It’s supposed to be the best of their eras.  

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/pro-football-hall-of-fame-reveals-26-semifinalists-for-class-of-2022

Boselli doesn't have the longevity.

• Agree 2

57 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Antonio Brown will have be in that room too, just ask him.

For a long time I've always felt it's too easy for players to make the football HOF and too hard to make the Baseball HOF.

And he'll regret not being able to see himself enter it.

Just kidding.  He's not making it.

• Haha (+1) 1

As for the watered down issue, I tend to agree but it is not a new phenomenon.  Lynn Swann and John Stallworth were both good players on an amazing dynasty. Neither should in the HOF. I can name several more but I will highlight Levy and Kurt Warner. Great stories but not HOF worthy.

Eli will make the HOF as a 2 time SB winner with a ton of yards. But he only made 4 ProBowls in 16 years. Was he even a top 5 QB when he played? I'd argue in no particular order Brady, Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, early Wilson and late Favre are all better QBs. Obviously Eli's career doesn't overlap perfectly with all these QBs but I'd take every one except Ryan over Eli.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.