Players that are ST only…how much value do they have?

LabattBlue

34 minutes ago, hemma said:

I guess it depends upon your pov.

many here consider Hodgins, Spector, Morris, Blackshear to be fringe players.

i know it won’t happen, but I’d like to see all 4 of them make the team.  50/50 on any of them being picked up, but i believe for the long view we improve the team over kumerow, jones, matekevich and howard.  

Whether they can contribute on STs remains to be seen, though I think we have a solid start with Blackshear.

Blackshear and Morris 100% make it to the PS. So no need to put them on the 53. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If Gilliam is a TE in your totals, I agree with almost all of it.

The only difference I see is exactly what I'm talking about.

Kumerow is cut (and goes to PS) and another LB is kept.  Bills kept 6 LBs last year.

I say that because Smalley said in his presser that ALL of the LBs are excelling in ST roles.

My opinion notwithstanding, you may be totally correct.

Gilliam is in the TE total over sweeney.  If you keep 9 oline you can carry 6 LBs.  Carrying 6 corners because of the uncertainty around Tre.  

Oline projection - Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown Quessenberry, Doyle, Mancz, Tenuta with boettger on pup.

We only start 2 LBs on 90% of snaps, and the 3 depth options are all pretty capable.  Depends who you like more - Spector, Ford, Hart, Sweeney, Hodgins.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Gilliam is in the TE total over sweeney.  If you keep 9 oline you can carry 6 LBs.  Carrying 6 corners because of the uncertainty around Tre.  

Oline projection - Dawkins-Saffold-Morse-Bates-Brown Quessenberry, Doyle, Mancz, Tenuta with boettger on pup.

We only start 2 LBs on 90% of snaps, and the 3 depth options are all pretty capable.  Depends who you like more - Spector, Ford, Hart, Sweeney, Hodgins.  

All very possible and I would think the handful of bubble guys all have pro's and con's.

Not sure about Tenuta.

IMO it's not "coach speak" when McDermott says it's so hard to pick these last guys.

I got to believe that Kumerow didn't help himself with that after catch fumble and Hodgins didn't hurt himself catching 9 passes.

I'll end my opinions with this.

I refuse to believe that when Beane signed Kumerow to a 1-year contract McDermott immediately put his name on the "locked" list.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, hemma said:

Haack had 52 punts last year, 7 of which were touchbacks.

Any bets on how many TBs this year?  I’m thinking 20 with another 20 fair catches & 10 OB.

There may only be 10 punts returned all year.

We already know that Bass, given the go ahead, can pound it out of the endzone.

Adapt to your players strengths -> Less stress on coverage units, more emphasis on return units.

The Bills had 17 punts returned which was 3rd fewest in the league and they gave up a little over 5 yards per return which was also top 5 in the league. 

In a perfect world Haack gets replaced and they gain 4 or five net yards. Its all about net yards. If the PuntGod increases the touch back rate too much the added distance won't matter. 

Again none of this punting discussion really matters if the offense is fine. Nobody cared about the punter for Brady, Manning, Brees, or Mahommes.  Kicker yes, punter no. 

The nuts and bolts of it is I would rather try and up coach a superior talent, at let's say WR,  to play better special teams, then keep a receiver whose talent at the position is questionable, but is a good special teamer.  

I consider one discipline to be skill (WR) and the other to be based upon work (ST).  Not that they don't both represent work, but I am saying one (skill) is more difficult to obtain than the other.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.