Bills Cutdowns (update - down to 80)

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

On random thought - I've noticed that Marquel Lee left us with $252.000 dead cap, since he had that much in guaranteed money.

That seems interesting to me. Do you guys think that Beane had thought (when he signed him) that he had any chance to make the roster? Or it was not possible to sign camp body for less guaranteed (and thus wasted) money?

Just for some comparison, Duke Johnson got $377,500, Greg Mancz 352,500, Van Rotten and Lawson 152,500, Bobby Hart got $25,000.

Looking at these numbers, I'd say all of these guys had better chance to make the roster at the time of signing than Lee. 

To be clear, I love Beane and this is just minor issue. I am just interested in hearing some thoughts.

Do you think Lee had a roster shot or it was not possible to obtain fringe player like him for less guaranteed?

He was on the team a year ago and I honestly thought he was signed to try to displace a more expensive ST core player.

I was thinking maybe Matakevich.  I was shocked he was released this early but maybe there was a plan with that.

It would not surprise me to see him added to the PS if nobody picks him up.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Jokes on him we've only coached up one TE successfully so far and at this point I think it might have happened by accident.

BB is the Jon Gruden of TEs.  He never seen one he didn't like!

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

It is clever though with all the talk of 2 TE sets we're supposedly going to start using, but then again seems like that might not be working out anyway.

Considering the contract for Howard was for 3.5 million with 3.2 million guaranteed and regardless of how Sweeney has looked in Training Camp, we know what he's shown in regular season games for years - I'd be hard pressed to give up on Howard before we see how he performs in the regular season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/16/2022 at 8:34 AM, mrags said:

It doesn’t if you want him in the room ASAP so that he can learn the playbook. Learn the facility. Be around his team mates. And to make sure your doctors and staff are making sure he is getting all the attention he needs to recover as quickly as possible. 

He tore his ACL in mid Feb. He will be lucky to be able to play by November if even then.  

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He tore his ACL in mid Feb. He will be lucky to be able to play by November if even then.  

Yeah. Ok. You still get him in. Get your staff on him to make sure things are moving well to ensure he’s good to come back for your playoff and Super Bowl run. Because if you don’t, you run the risk of him sitting on his couch eating cheeseburgers and not taking care of his body or the injury like he needs to, to ensure as quick a recovery as possible. 

Or, you could just get him into your locker room to get used to the team. Team mates. Playbook. Play calls. Etc. the possibilities are endless. 

If you don’t want him that’s fine. But if you do, it’s probably better to sign him as soon as possible. 

like I said, you can still sign him and then IR him and not worry about the roster spot until later. 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:13 PM, BillsFanForever19 said:

Considering the contract for Howard was for 3.5 million with 3.2 million guaranteed and regardless of how Sweeney has looked in Training Camp, we know what he's shown in regular season games for years - I'd be hard pressed to give up on Howard before we see how he performs in the regular season.

Only options is to trade him.  I think if you adjust your expectations of him as a player he fits into the offense perfectly.  Big bodied guy who is showing to be a plus blocker.    He isnt Knox or as good as his draft projection.  That said he can make you pay if you leave him alone in coverage.  I would go Knox, Howard, Morris and try for Sweeney on PS.

• Like (+1) 1

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills Cutdowns (update - down to 81)
  • YoloinOhio changed the title to Bills Cutdowns (update - down to 80)
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.