This Aqib Talib story...

Bermuda Triangle

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Every single one of my posts is handcrafted with such care and precision it would make your head explode.

we have noticed , and thank you for attention to detail my friend. Always helps

4 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I feel you don’t understand the point of a message board 

Hence the OP screen name , eh ? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Augie said:

I admit to getting worked up early in my kids’ youth sports days. I remember yelling at the college age son of the guy who owned/ran the rec hoops league in town. I’m ashamed of it now, but he would let kids double dribble and travel all over the court, but he’d blow the whistle if my kid did it. Looking back, my kid knew what he was doing (thanks to his older brother and his friends) and the other kids were clueless just trying chase the ball they had no control over. My kid screwed up, picked up his dribble, knew he was trapped and tried to get away with putting it on the floor again. The whistle blew, and I went ballistic. NOT my finest moment screaming at a teenager. He knew my kid knew better, so in retrospect he did the right thing. It WAS a double standard, but the kids were at different levels. 

At some point I saw how ridiculous my behavior was and became the model parent. That was not the example I wanted to set. Once I changed my mindset I became embarrassed for other adults, including the 40-something year old man/dad/coach my son had to eject while a high schooler reffing rec league games. He got his 2nd T, and I’m sure he deserved it! 

There was an AAU hoops tournament in Miami where the ref stopped the game and would not continue until the police were in the gym. I wish the refs in this case had been able to do the same.  Very sad, for everyone. 

My son played Pop Warner for some years and that when I learned to dislike parents.

Calling out refs and cursing on the sidelines.

But this event is another level.

world has gone crazy

14 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I know.. its only a message board

wtf did you just call me   JK

see previous post LOL

nothing but love for all you fools

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

As a Coach, sometimes you need to give the Ref the business. 

As a Coach, sometimes you need to give the other Coach the business. 

But it ends at the business. I’ve given and gotten it, and never once resulted in fists. My blood has boiled watching other boys hack at my son in Lacrosse, or trip my daughters in soccer. Or worse, the blatant BS in one of our Flag Football leagues. I’m not going to say it hasn’t come close. The minute some guy gives the “ok chief” it’s hard for me. I won’t lie. But, the thought of my kids, whether my own or the ones I Coach, seeing me taken away in cuffs over a game, is just awful to me. I don’t understand how grown men, who have clearly seen the right side of things, can’t behave the same way. 

Just disgusting 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, RobbRiddicksTDLeap said:

As a Coach, sometimes you need to give the Ref the business. 

I 100% disagree with this, or maybe that just depends on context (i.e. pro vs. youth).

I spend a large amount of time volunteer reffing youth rec soccer and also paid reffing Club soccer. Have also reffed some lacrosse. Now I pretty much stick with volunteer rec. Parents and coaches can be unbelievable axxhxles. Really nice, normally calm people get completely worked up over a kids rec game. Coaches put in a heck of a lot of time, all volunteer in this rec league, but their emotions get the better of them. I've coached for years as well and admit I've crossed the line a couple of times as well.

I also am in charge of referee instruction for my local area. I used to put up with the crap that parents or coaches give but then I noticed that this is why we lose referees. They just don't want to give their time when parents can be such jerks. Yes, we make mistakes. Some of the refs are not very good at all. Even the best of us have some bad games and none has ever reffed a perfect game. Now I don't put up with any bull whatsoever. As soon as I hear criticism, I shut it down, partially so the next referee doesn't have to deal with that. 

Virtually any call I make (or don't make), half the people will think it's wrong. If I call a foul, it's either ticky tack, not as bad as the other team has been doing, or should have had at least a yellow card. If I give a yellow card, one side thinks it wasn't deserving while the other says it should have been an automatic red card.

And yet, I go back and will spend another 6 to 8 hours the next Saturday and Sunday doing it all again!

• Thank you (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

I 100% disagree with this, or maybe that just depends on context (i.e. pro vs. youth).

I spend a large amount of time volunteer reffing youth rec soccer and also paid reffing Club soccer. Have also reffed some lacrosse. Now I pretty much stick with volunteer rec. Parents and coaches can be unbelievable axxhxles. Really nice, normally calm people get completely worked up over a kids rec game. Coaches put in a heck of a lot of time, all volunteer in this rec league, but their emotions get the better of them. I've coached for years as well and admit I've crossed the line a couple of times as well.

I also am in charge of referee instruction for my local area. I used to put up with the crap that parents or coaches give but then I noticed that this is why we lose referees. They just don't want to give their time when parents can be such jerks. Yes, we make mistakes. Some of the refs are not very good at all. Even the best of us have some bad games and none has ever reffed a perfect game. Now I don't put up with any bull whatsoever. As soon as I hear criticism, I shut it down, partially so the next referee doesn't have to deal with that. 

Virtually any call I make (or don't make), half the people will think it's wrong. If I call a foul, it's either ticky tack, not as bad as the other team has been doing, or should have had at least a yellow card. If I give a yellow card, one side thinks it wasn't deserving while the other says it should have been an automatic red card.

And yet, I go back and will spend another 6 to 8 hours the next Saturday and Sunday doing it all again!

Agreed you don’t mess with the refs unless there’s some sort of blatant bias going on (ref is a relative of someone on the other team, etc…) even if there is, you go through the proper channels to report it.

4 hours ago, BUFFALOTONE said:

Why do you have a gun at a youth football game? 

It’s Texas.

edit: lol stay mad. I’m not making any sort or political statement or criticism. More people carry guns in Texas per capita than other other states/places. It’s just a fact. 

Edited by JoPoy88
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

about Tremaine Edmunds

That is FIVE demerits for you, sir! This hooligan behavior must stop! 

OK, it was inevitable……    🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Yeah I think @RobbRiddicksTDLeap might be giving himself a bit too much credit for reasonable treatment of amateur officials.   I'm competitive as hell when coaching but I have never yelled at a volunteer or lowly paid ref just helping out so kids can play organized sports.   No justification for that.   And if I have an issue with a coach for something they do in-game or mistreating an ump or a player I handle that personally,  not by yelling across the field at them so everyone can hear.  

When my kids are/were playing I always made a point to remember it was THEIR game........even if I was coaching........my blood wasn't boiling if they let themselves get beaten by not being prepared for rough play.    I know I wouldn't have liked my parents b*tching at officials when I was playing as a kid.  

I'd also suggest to anyone that EVEN at the pro level.........blaming officials for mistakes that hurt your team is generally a cop out to avoid holding your team to a higher standard.    If a game is decided by a call or two and you lose.......your boys either weren't good enough or they played it too close.   The majority of close games come about not because teams are exactly evenly matched........it's because coaches maneuver it that way........see "Jauron Ball" as a perfect example.    The objective should be a decisive victory.   If your team doesn't do that.......they are asking for fate to decide it for them.........and then you get what you get.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Augie said:

That is FIVE demerits for you, sir! This hooligan behavior must stop! 

OK, it was inevitable……    🤷‍♂️

Thread title "This Tremaine Edmunds story..."

• Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.