Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

40 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hold everything! 53% of ST snaps last night vs 18% for Kumerow 

I definitely want Hodgins to make it over Kumerow, but I'm pretty sure Hodgins getting all of the snaps on special teams last night was so they would have more film of him on special teams snaps, not evidence that he's making the team over Kumerow.  There is already a ton of tape of Kumerow on special teams snaps, they needed something to compare them.  

I do think making the effort to give Hodgins the snaps there is a good sign for him, since (to me) it means they want a reason to keep him over Kumerow.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 8

25 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I definitely want Hodgins to make it over Kumerow, but I'm pretty sure Hodgins getting all of the snaps on special teams last night was so they would have more film of him on special teams snaps, not evidence that he's making the team over Kumerow.  There is already a ton of tape of Kumerow on special teams snaps, they needed something to compare them.  

I do think making the effort to give Hodgins the snaps there is a good sign for him, since (to me) it means they want a reason to keep him over Kumerow.

Same thing with Morris vs. Sweeney.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Only seemed to notice Kumerow when he low efforted passes or didn't block well. Last night wasn't his best showing. On the other hand Hodgins had two 4th down catches in a row. Not sure if it was enough to swing the coaches opinions. Maybe Kumerow is one of those players we have complete confidence not getting poached and Hodgins isn't. 

2 minutes ago, FLFan said:

Same thing with Morris vs. Sweeney.

I agree with this, but that's just IMO. A far as Hodgins goes, I can see them going with 7 wrs. I believe they've done it before.

Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Isaiah, Shakir, Jake and Hodgins. Done deal

Notes from last night:

Saw crowders family, read the body language, even shared a few words (nothing significant)...

Crowder and his family were "all-in buffalo."  His mom, his wife, his two daughters - in mini bills cheerleader outfits "lil miss crowder" on the back. Just this makes me think they like Buffalo and he wants to be here. 

Lawson had his family there and they came to the front before the game. He seemed focus before and during the game.

The OL starters worked with Bobby Hart during the game on the sidelines. Morse and Dawkins doing a lot of technique stuff with others, also. They seemed to like Hart as a team member. Quesenberry seemed to keep to himself then just started working with a bunch of backups late in the game. 

Keenum was standing alone for various parts of the game while Barkley played - opposite the offense to see a very backside angle of the D. No headset, no helmet - so not hearing the info for the game. 

Barkley was very relaxed for the game. Bass didn't do any warmups or anything on the sidelines. Ferguson did some warmup snaps with a coach on the sidelines from time to time. Both will make the team. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was all in on keeping Hodgins.. but I may have started coming back to reality that we keep 6 and WR6 should be a top notch ST’s guy in Kumerow. 

Hopefully Hodgins makes it to the PS, but this staff clearly knows how to scout mid-late round WR’s and DB’s.   I’m confident they’ll find another WR in the draft next year to replace Crowder in the WR room. 

I’m still on the give Allen as many weapons as possible. Hodgins is a weapon cause he can catch anything thrown his way. He made back to back phenomenal catches last night on two badly thrown balls. 
I think they have given a lot of guys a fair shot to win jobs from our core special teamers. We’ll find out soon if they were able to beat them out. 
I’m rooting for Hodgins to stay healthy and get on the 53 this year though. 

• Agree 1

Hodgins has certainly made this a tough decision for the Bills.  He seems to be a more reliable receiver than Kumerow, but really does not get separation down the field.  Their evaluation of his ST performance will be a key factor.  Frankly, if either of these guys ends up playing significant snaps at WR the Bills are in trouble.  My guess is still that they keep Kumerow and IR or PUP Stevenson who has more WR and ST upside due to his speed.  

I am rooting for Hodgins too, but ultimately he is averaging under 9 yards per catch through 3 games while leading the team in targets and receptions and facing backups and guys who won't make rosters.  

Yeah, some of his catches have been pretty, but a WR avg under 9 yards per catch isn't exactly making a case to be kept above all other factors.  He certainly has a chance to make this team, but if he does, it will because they feel good about what he can contribute on ST because that will absolutely be his primary role.  

Like I have said in other threads/posts...no one past WR 4 on the depth chart has had any relevant production the past 2 seasons while fielding the #1 offense in the AFC.  So WR6 better be able to play ST or they won't make the team.  

I like Hodgins, so I hope he showed enough on ST, otherwise he won't make the final 53...and Beane has not only recently stated that, but also had that stance (as do all coaches) about the deeper bench players.  Its why its a well known fact that young players stuck behind guys on the roster need to win a role on ST if they want to assure themselves a roster spot.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Seems he has more upside as WR… made a couple really nice grabs. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am rooting for Hodgins too, but ultimately he is averaging under 9 yards per catch through 3 games while leading the team in targets and receptions and facing backups and guys who won't make rosters.

I agree with his results being low yardage.  One thing that caused a lot of it was the routes he was called to run.  A lot of short 1st down throws

and a bunch of short sideline catches.  He had a couple of mid-level catches.  Not sure if it's his inability to go deeper or just what was

available for him to catch.  He lined up both outside and in the slot.

The thing that was positive is he seems to have some good hands and can box out DBs.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Hold everything! 53% of ST snaps last night vs 18% for Kumerow 

I wouldn't read too much into that as a sheer numbers game. 

The Bills had a full regular season to look at what Kumerow contributed on ST, he's "first team" there.

I think it's pretty clear that the Bills are looking hard at whether Morris and Hodgins can fill a role on ST.  And if the answer is "yes" for Hodgins, that would pave his way to the roster.  But they have to have someone in mind to fill Kumerow's "gunner" role, because he not only logged a faster 40 time pre-draft (4.54 vs 4.61), he (to my eyes) plays faster than Hodgins.

Morris might be a candidate.  He's sort of in between them on speed and looked faster than I thought he was.  He played 82% of the snaps.

I would have to say that OJ Howard's position is not looking secure.  He, Sweeney, and Morris took almost the same # of offensive snaps.  Howard took very few ST snaps which is not a good sign that they see him as a contributor, because Howard does not have a prior history of being an ace ST'er at his previous gig.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Morris might be a candidate.  He's sort of in between them on speed and looked faster than I thought he was.  He played 82% of the snaps.

I would have to say that OJ Howard's position is not looking secure.  He, Sweeney, and Morris took almost the same # of offensive snaps.  Howard took very few ST snaps which is not a good sign that they see him as a contributor, because Howard does not have a prior history of being an ace ST'er at his previous gig.

Yep.  If you took his cap hit away, he doesn't make the team IMO.  It sad but I think all his injuries has affected his game way too much.

Beane has some extra $s so is cutting him out of the question?  I'm not sure either way.

Hodgins is doing a very nice job, but I don't really care much if they keep or cut him because he shouldn't ever play meaningful snaps for the Buffalo Bills. Best case scenario, he's our #6 WR and 9th receiving option (behind Knox, Singletary and Cook). It should take at least three significant injuries to our WR group for him to see meaningful snaps there, and maybe even 4 if they decide to make Cook more of a WR in that event.

Even if he does all the right things, next year he would be no higher than 4th. It's not worth losing sleep over.

4 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I’m still on the give Allen as many weapons as possible. Hodgins is a weapon cause he can catch anything thrown his way. He made back to back phenomenal catches last night on two badly thrown balls. 
I think they have given a lot of guys a fair shot to win jobs from our core special teamers. We’ll find out soon if they were able to beat them out. 
I’m rooting for Hodgins to stay healthy and get on the 53 this year though. 

Was hoping Howard could be RZ target... nope. I think hodgins is a skill set we don't have. Stef can highpoint a contested, but that's diff thsn asking him to be that guy in red zone. Would love to see hodgins backup, earn some regular playing time and see some situational RZ

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.