Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

28 minutes ago, Airseven said:

I just did a quick sketch of my 53. Rather straight forward actually. My last roster spot came down to Hodgins over Bryant. (I have Kumerow safely on the roster and Lawson cut.) I also have Ford on the roster, but if they can dump him for a 7th, then Hodgins and Bryant would both make it.

Yeah, I thought Lawson looked slow and out of position too often.  I agree, unless he steps it up, I don’t think he makes it.

7 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I just looked up the Bills contracts on Spotrac.  For 2023, Allen has a base salary of $27.5M which a large amount could be converted to a signing bonus to help create cap space.  Dawkins, Milano, and White could be done too.  Beane will figure it out.  I don't believe they'll do any major signings next off-season but I also didn't think they would sign Von Miller either.  So I'm not concerned about it.  Just going to watch Beane do his thing and out maneuver most of his colleagues once again.

All GMs (especially teams paying an elite QB) use restructuring and void years as a tool.  But it's only a tool and not sustainable method of cap management.

If it was KC would have never moved on from Hill.  Mahomes has $34.4M of roster bonus this year that could have been restructured.

I think @hemmais trying to point out a rational fact.  As an example, the Bills have 17 players above $3M cap this year.

LA Rams have 10.  The more high-cost elite players a team signs the less money for mid-level players they can pay.

Beane will do his best to balance the 2, but he will be letting some talent go that he wishes he could keep.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Welcome to the NYG, Isaiah Hodgins 

Smoke screen,

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/16/2022 at 4:00 PM, Pete said:

Austin and Crowder are slots, and we have slot WRs.  Hodgin can win jump balls.  Josh could throw ball up high for Hodgins, he will go get it.  Red zone threat.  A big WR scores TDs, catches everything, wins jump balls, never drops....thats a dimension the Bills are lacking

The Bills have that in Knox and Howard

On 8/19/2022 at 1:25 AM, ColoradoBills said:

All GMs (especially teams paying an elite QB) use restructuring and void years as a tool.  But it's only a tool and not sustainable method of cap management.

If it was KC would have never moved on from Hill.  Mahomes has $34.4M of roster bonus this year that could have been restructured.

I think @hemmais trying to point out a rational fact.  As an example, the Bills have 17 players above $3M cap this year.

LA Rams have 10.  The more high-cost elite players a team signs the less money for mid-level players they can pay.

Beane will do his best to balance the 2, but he will be letting some talent go that he wishes he could keep.

A secondary issue is that the owner also needs to have the cash to make the payments.  

5 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

It would be annoying to keep Kumerow over Hodgins, and to a lesser degree, Crowder.  If we cut him, it would not surprise me if the Giants scoop him up and he’s an immediate starter for them. 

We are sweating over the 6th WR !

On 8/23/2022 at 5:03 PM, Stokes84 said:

It would be annoying to keep Kumerow over Hodgins, and to a lesser degree, Crowder.  If we cut him, it would not surprise me if the Giants scoop him up and he’s an immediate starter for them. 

No, actually it wouldn't. Your low depth chart receivers better be able to play special teams.

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, actually it wouldn't. Your low depth chart receivers better be able to play special teams.

Hodgins *can* play special teams and has been taking snaps there. The question is whether the difference between Hodgins and Kumerow's ability on specials is worth keeping Kumerow who seems to offer less at WR. 

Then to a question of whether you want to keep 7 WRs or keep a guy like Cam Lewis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Malazan said:

Hodgins *can* play special teams and has been taking snaps there. The question is whether the difference between Hodgins and Kumerow's ability on specials is worth keeping Kumerow who seems to offer less at WR. 

Then to a question of whether you want to keep 7 WRs or keep a guy like Cam Lewis.

I’m keeping Cam Lewis all day long.

Much like great QB’s do, Josh Allen is going to make WR’s look good.

I agree Hodgins must stay.  I think he is way above solid and has a high ceiling.  Just thinking, I believe we could get a 2nd round pick for him, 3rd for sure.

I still would keep him over a 2nd round pick, I think he is that good.

Probably a controversial opinion.  But, have never thought about his trade value.  The Bills have stashed him nicely for 2 years.

Go Bills!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Let's just assume OBJ is added.  That means you have a tough decision with Crowder, Hodgins and Kumerow

What if the Giants offer a 4th or 3rd for Hodgins?  

or do you see if someone will offer a 6th for Crowder and take that instead.

I doubt Kumerow gets cut because of ST

18 minutes ago, Manther said:

I agree Hodgins must stay.  I think he is way above solid and has a high ceiling.  Just thinking, I believe we could get a 2nd round pick for him, 3rd for sure.

Probably a controversial opinion.  But, have never thought about his trade value.  The Bills have stashed him nicely for 2 years.

Go Bills!

He's played like he could step in at Outside WR if God forbid Diggs or Davis went down 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Let's just assume OBJ is added.  That means you have a tough decision with Crowder, Hodgins and Kumerow

What if the Giants offer a 4th or 3rd for Hodgins?  

or do you see if someone will offer a 6th for Crowder and take that instead.

I doubt Kumerow gets cut because of ST

He's played like he could step in at Outside WR if God forbid Diggs or Davis went down 

OMFG: Hodgins is a JAG- nice player but no one is giving up a 2nd or 3rd for this guy

between him-JAG; Stevenson, who can't hold onto the ball when he isn't hurt-JAG and Blackshear -JAG you would think we are talking about Thurman, Reed and Lofton.

These guys are the David Nelson's of the league- sh!tty players that sh!tty teams keep- god bless em for making some good money for a few years : let them all go the NYG because guess what- they are a sh!tty team and they would all fit in well there

• Like (+1) 1

Hodgins hasn't played a down of real NFL football and he is now in his third year. He was drafted in the sixth round. I am reading posters saying he has 2nd, 3rd or 4th round value.

Based on what?

I'd also like to add that am rooting for him. He's a Bill. You just have to be realistic especially with the players that are also at his position. He's very much a bubble guy.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Manther said:

Go Bills!

Yikes. Nobody is trading a high draft pick for Hodgins. A 3rd? Wow not happening. If he’s put on PS or waivers likely a team will scoop him. But that’s it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Beane is saying exactly how he is making final cut decisions-special teams.  Ive been trying to find a list of special teams preseason snaps.  Cover 1 said Quintin Morris was #2 in special team snaps.  Im curious how Blackshear, Hodgins, and who else played ST snaps and played well.

Special Teams (24 snaps)

This game seemed to be a bit more about getting the actual roster to sync up than Week 1 was, so a few players who might find themselves on the 53 for special teams value might have been revealed.

While Tommy Sweeney was on the field 50% of the time for special teams, he was once again passed by Quintin Morris at 62%, who led the team on special teams time. Joe Giles-Harris saw 42% of snaps, as did Baylon Spector. Finally, Mike Love saw 50%.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/8/22/23315733/preseason-snap-count-notes-buffalo-bills-vs-denver-broncos

ST will be deciding factor for last spots.  Quintin Morris plays STs.  So does Sweeney.  OJ has never played ST.

Whos been gunner this preseason?  Does anyone have a link for Bills special teams preseason snaps total for Carolina?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.