Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Again, no team is doing that. Teams do not get rid of developmental guys who can play special teams to keep an elite gunner. They get rid of fringe people who don't really belong in the NFL. The Jake Kumerows, the Tommy Sweeneys, the Duke Johnsons and the like. 

You are wrong about special teams. It's okay. Most fans are. 

Teams don't cut late round guys in favor of STers?  You sure about that?

25 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I just watched a “ locked on Bills” episode, Joe Marino broke down who over the last couple of years was picked up from our team in the waiver process and signed to another teams 53, before going to our PS, it’s wasn’t very many, and once to the PS the player has to agree to play for another team, they cannot just take a player, also consider they can pay a PS guy as much as they want to, to keep

them around. Also consider 31 other teams have guys they want to keep as well, that the put through waivers…, 

No NFL player is going to say no to an active roster spot to stay on a Practice Squad. No NFL Team is going to subject a player to waivers that they heavily value. You keep the guys you want on your roster. You cut the ones you can afford to go without. Isaiah Hodgins was the latter last season.

On 8/16/2022 at 6:51 PM, DRsGhost said:

Attempting to minimize the importance of special teams in any way to a fanbase that's witnessed...

Wide right

Music city debacle 

13 seconds

Isn't going to fly.

Well, when you put it that way. Yikes!

28 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Teams don't cut late round guys in favor of STers?  You sure about that?

Teams don't cut talented good players in favour of special teamers. Special teamers are not keeping Antonio Browns and Stefon Diggs' off the roster. Chris Hogan stuck over D'Rick Rodgers. Andre Holmes stuck over Rod Streeter. It is that level of NFL no hoper that has to be worried about special teamers.

17 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No NFL player is going to say no to an active roster spot to stay on a Practice Squad. No NFL Team is going to subject a player to waivers that they heavily value. You keep the guys you want on your roster. You cut the ones you can afford to go without. Isaiah Hodgins was the latter last season.

Players get put on teams PSs because the see them as viable prospects and worth developing, you don’t have to believe that but you would be wrong to do so,

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Considering that you a.) Have to release the player and subject them to waivers and then b.) Are placing them in a position to be signed to anyone's active roster at any given time - I wouldn't exactly call that being heavily invested in someone or being patient with a player. 

Patient to me would be protecting them by giving them a spot on the 53. They flat out cut him.

Its a calculated risk letting a drafted player go to your practice squad injuries helped keep him from getting poached.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As a Special Teams player? Because he made the squad for that last season. He was the 7th WR on a roster that always kept 6 max for that reason. If they felt he was so replaceable there, the Bills would have just let him walk after last season. Instead, they gave him a new contract.

I get the feeling you're once again referring to his play as a WR and completely disregarding Special Teams. To your end of arguing for bottom of the roster WR's who won't be active on Game Day over core Special Teams players.

Yes, he is JAG as a special teams player.  So what if he made the squad.  Doesnt mean he isn't Jag.  There are Jags all over the league.  So what if they gave him a 1.2m dollar deal with 76k guaranteed.  Those are the types of contracts teams make when they dont give a crap and can easily walk away from.

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

Players get put on teams PSs because the see them as viable prospects and worth developing, you don’t have to believe that but you would be wrong to do so,

You're missing the point. The point isn't that Practice Squad players are worthless and not worth trying to develop. The point is - that if he was as valuable to them as many make him out to be - he wouldn't have been cut from a roster that included 7 WR's making the 53. They wouldn't have risked losing him. They were okay with that happening. That doesn't scream patience and investment.

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes, he is JAG as a special teams player.  So what if he made the squad.  Doesnt mean he isn't Jag.  There are Jags all over the league.  So what if they gave him a 1.2m dollar deal with 76k guaranteed.  Those are the types of contracts teams make when they dont give a crap and can easily walk away from.

You say JAG. McDermott and Beane say Special Teams core player who not only made the squad last season for his play there, but was deemed worthy enough to be given a new contract before the start of Free Agency. And I'll give you one guess who's opinion actually matters.

If they shared your opinion that he was so replaceable and anyone could do it, they'd have just let him walk and spent the money on someone else for the role.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You're missing the point. The point isn't that Practice Squad players are worthless and not worth trying to develop. The point is - that if he was as valuable to them as many make him out to be - he wouldn't have been cut from a roster that included 7 WR's making the 53. They wouldn't have risked losing him. They were okay with that happening. That doesn't scream patience and investment.

You say JAG. McDermott and Beane say Special Teams core player who not only made the squad last season for his play there, but was deemed worthy enough to be given a new contract before the start of Free Agency. And I'll give you one guess who's opinion actually matters. You just want your guy to make the Squad and damn Special Teams.

In this case you are wrong, in other cases you my be correct.

Hodgins getting more snaps with the ones today!

Bills keep 6WRs.  Diggs, Davis, McKenzie, Crowder, Khalil and Hodgins.

Kumerow cut and goes to PS.  His ST duties taken over by Terrel Bernard.

If the Bills feel they need another ST player, they keep Giles-Harris or Spector (if he looks good), but I think Spector is PS bound.

I'm watching what Gilles-Harris does in the next 2 weeks.  Smalley has already talked him up and I want to see how he is at LB too.

45 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You say JAG. McDermott and Beane say Special Teams core player who not only made the squad last season for his play there, but was deemed worthy enough to be given a new contract before the start of Free Agency. And I'll give you one guess who's opinion actually matters.

If they shared your opinion that he was so replaceable and anyone could do it, they'd have just let him walk and spent the money on someone else for the role.

Yes he is still Jag.  Those guys are replaceable and they get replaced every year.  Contracts are given out all the time and cut the same year.  It matters not.  They could let him walk sure.  They could also keep him for bare minimum with peanuts guaranteed until they replace him.  If he was so valuable to them then he would get a multi year deal, but he isn't.  

This guy has bounced all over the place between practice squads and rosters and more practice squads.  Released from teams the same year.  This is his second stint on the Bills because he wasn't good enough before.  Now all of a sudden he is some elite STer?  No, he isn't.  He is JAG and currently on the roster because they haven't replaced him yet.  Thats all.  He may be on this team for the whole year.  He may even sign another extension.  He may get cut in favor of someone else to put on the roster.  He may end up back on our PS or he may end up on the street.  He is just another guy.  Nobody special that isn't replaceable by just another guy.  Thats what JAGs are.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Teams don't cut talented good players in favour of special teamers. Special teamers are not keeping Antonio Browns and Stefon Diggs' off the roster. Chris Hogan stuck over D'Rick Rodgers. Andre Holmes stuck over Rod Streeter. It is that level of NFL no hoper that has to be worried about special teamers.

Well that's an easy argument to make when we traded Wyatt Teller and kept some ST bums instead. Because you just argue that's not what we did.

• Eyeroll 1

9 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes he is still Jag.  Those guys are replaceable and they get replaced every year.  Contracts are given out all the time and cut the same year.  It matters not.  They could let him walk sure.  They could also keep him for bare minimum with peanuts guaranteed until they replace him.  If he was so valuable to them then he would get a multi year deal, but he isn't.  

This guy has bounced all over the place between practice squads and rosters and more practice squads.  Released from teams the same year.  This is his second stint on the Bills because he wasn't good enough before.  Now all of a sudden he is some elite STer?  No, he isn't.  He is JAG and currently on the roster because they haven't replaced him yet.  Thats all.  He may be on this team for the whole year.  He may even sign another extension.  He may get cut in favor of someone else to put on the roster.  He may end up back on our PS or he may end up on the street.  He is just another guy.  Nobody special that isn't replaceable by just another guy.  Thats what JAGs are.

If my abacus is working properly, I cipher that in 2023 our top 8 guys (before any more extensions/contracts) will total to about 65% of our cap.  That’ll leave a little less than $2M per player for the remaining 45.  We finally have our QB and a handful of other critical players, but they need to be paid.

My thoughts are that we are going to have a whole bunch of JAGS on this team.  If we are going to be at/near the top for any period of time, we’ll need the best JAGS that fully accept and willingly participate in the ‘process’.  Hodgins may be a JAG, along with guys like Blackshear & Cam Lewis and they will take more patience to develop but they, along with consistent coaching, will be what will keep us on top.  

Beane & McDermotts’ jobs will get even tougher.  IMO, it starts now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, hemma said:

If my abacus is working properly, I cipher that in 2023 our top 8 guys (before any more extensions/contracts) will total to about 65% of our cap.  That’ll leave a little less than $2M per player for the remaining 45.  We finally have our QB and a handful of other critical players, but they need to be paid.

My thoughts are that we are going to have a whole bunch of JAGS on this team.  If we are going to be at/near the top for any period of time, we’ll need the best JAGS that fully accept and willingly participate in the ‘process’.  Hodgins may be a JAG, along with guys like Blackshear & Cam Lewis and they will take more patience to develop but they, along with consistent coaching, will be what will keep us on top.  

Beane & McDermotts’ jobs will get even tougher.  IMO, it starts now.

I just looked up the Bills contracts on Spotrac.  For 2023, Allen has a base salary of $27.5M which a large amount could be converted to a signing bonus to help create cap space.  Dawkins, Milano, and White could be done too.  Beane will figure it out.  I don't believe they'll do any major signings next off-season but I also didn't think they would sign Von Miller either.  So I'm not concerned about it.  Just going to watch Beane do his thing and out maneuver most of his colleagues once again.

I just did a quick sketch of my 53. Rather straight forward actually. My last roster spot came down to Hodgins over Bryant. (I have Kumerow safely on the roster and Lawson cut.) I also have Ford on the roster, but if they can dump him for a 7th, then Hodgins and Bryant would both make it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.