Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

54 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I agree.  Who can and cannot clear waivers and get to the PS has to be a factor in the final roster spots along with next years

depth slots chances.

Hodgins:

As to Hodgins I would think the coaches (and most of us fans) would agree that he deserves more snaps with the 2s in camp

and in the next 2 preseason games.  Another thing to watch for is any ST reps he may be taking in camp/games.  While ST is important

I would also just add that IF 7 WRs are kept at least one probably won't dress.  I would have no problem with Hodgins being kept for

his pass catching depth skills vs him getting lost to waivers.  He needs to stay healthy the rest of the off season!

Kumerow:

While I wanted to see him succeed at his primary position (WR) I have to say his WR play is not very good.  He got his chance last

year to prove that and the result was in 116 offensive snaps with 2 catches on 6 targets for 28 yards.  His WR play in the remaining

games must be taken into consideration as to whether he makes the team.

I say all this assuming Jones is a lock.  I refuse to believe that one year of good ST play (that is all Kumerow has had) guarantees him

a roster spot.  If the coaches think as I do, Kumerow has to prove his worth as a WR too.  These bubble players know this better than

we do so these 2 guys have to know they are probably in a fight for that spot. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who wins this challenge.

I agree with alot of this.  

It might be challenging to keep 7 WRs this yr, if that happens then likely Cam Lewis is cut (another player who is likely scooped up immediately).  

I think Jones is a lock, he's still a top ST/gunner in this league.  Along with Neal, we have the best combination.

Kumerow I have no problem being let go, but agree with others and when you said Hodgins needs "some" ST value.  He doesnt need to be our next gunner, or even dress, but I can't see our WR6 offering little to no ST value, that's a luxury roster spot at that point.  Good news, he seems to be receiving ST reps, hopefully he's making the most of those.  I can't see us cutting Hodgins if he stays healthy and consistent.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Kumerow I have no problem being let go, but agree with others and when you said Hodgins needs "some" ST value.  He doesnt need to be our next gunner, or even dress, but I can't see our WR6 offering little to no ST value, that's a luxury roster spot at that point.  Good news, he seems to be receiving ST reps, hopefully he's making the most of those.  I can't see us cutting Hodgins if he stays healthy and consistent.

I guess my post was a bit confusing.  I agree that he can get a roster spot and not play STs.

In my post I meant they may play him some STs in the next few weeks to see how he performs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I guess my post was a bit confusing.  I agree that he can get a roster spot and not play STs.

In my post I meant they may play him some STs in the next few weeks to see how he performs.

That makes sense.  I agree with you, my post was likely confusing in return.  

I've been a big fan of Hodgins, and Speedy, both having solid camps (hoping Hodgins stays healthy and Speedy recovers soon).

Definitely some difficult decisions.  I'm already liking the Cook at KR and Shakir at PR idea, if that holds up to start the season.  Gives more flexibility with gameday roster, essentially 1 more player, if we don't have to dress a dedicated returner.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

I've been a big fan of Hodgins, and Speedy, both having solid camps (hoping Hodgins stays healthy and Speedy recovers soon).

Definitely some difficult decisions.  I'm already liking the Cook at KR and Shakir at PR idea, if that holds up to start the season.  Gives more flexibility with gameday roster, essentially 1 more player, if we don't have to dress a dedicated returner.

I'm liking Hodgins too and want to see him play a lot more in the next 2 weeks.  It will test his durability (a shoulder and a jammed knee doesn't

mean he's injury prone to me) and see if he can continue to perform.

We fans have a lot of fun debating who we think should stay and go but I know that even the coaches don't know everything yet.

It would be awesome to hear the position coaches and coordinators debate who should stay and who is cut with McDermott and Beane.

Those last 5 slots or so have got to be interesting!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

I could argue the flip side too if Austin is not the primary returner (as you mention) then he is the cut and Crowder stays. The coaching staff might like this better as they get a proven guy in the slot. In any scenario I think they WANT Hodgins to make it. They developed the kid and he knows the system. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I agree, what was the point of investing time and effort into rehabbing and holding onto him if not to keep him. I'm not sure how much more we could expect out of a guy in camp and preseason (thus far). He's exceeded expectations and has risen to the top of the competition.

I'm not sure what Kumerow offers @ this point (yes he plays ST's). If it's between him and Crowder, he's outshined him and he's home grown. Maybe Hodgins isn't the slot replacement but, Shakir has shown enough to back up Mackenzie in the slot and make Crowder expendable. I'm with the OP on this, he needs to stay imo.

On 8/14/2022 at 7:15 AM, Don Otreply said:

Sure, but mostly he needs to be a threat to score points, imo its all part of Dorsey wanting every player to be a threat to score points, so Hodgins can be a backup point scorer, it all works👍

Go Bills!!!

Being a threat to score doesn't mean a whole lot if you are sitting on the bench all game long.

If you are the 6th option at WR (not to mention the options also ahead of him at TE and RB), you have to play special teams. It's a must.

If Hodgins plays more than a handful of snaps all year on offense, it means something went terribly wrong with injuries or terribly right with starters and backups sitting.

46 minutes ago, MJS said:

Being a threat to score doesn't mean a whole lot if you are sitting on the bench all game long.

If you are the 6th option at WR (not to mention the options also ahead of him at TE and RB), you have to play special teams. It's a must.

If Hodgins plays more than a handful of snaps all year on offense, it means something went terribly wrong with injuries or terribly right with starters and backups sitting.

A threat to score when on the field, kinda goes with out saying…,  

WRs get nicks and dings on a regular basis, the Bills are quite likely painfully aware of this, Diggs, Beasley and Davis had injuries at points going into the post season in the last two years, it isn’t the end of the world if Hodgins gets a handful or more snaps in a couple of games, it’s why they have backs players, and he has talent and drive, what’s not to like? He can fill the role Davis used to have quite nicely if he continues to show out. 🤞 that’s why they develop lower round draft picks, for just these occasions. 

My glass is half full, yours should be too, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

A threat to score when on the field, kinda goes with out saying…,  

WRs get nicks and dings on a regular basis, the Bills are quite likely painfully aware of this, Diggs, Beasley and Davis had injuries at points going into the post season in the last two years, it isn’t the end of the world if Hodgins gets a handful or more snaps in a couple of games, it’s why they have backs players, and he has talent and drive, what’s not to like? He can fill the role Davis used to have quite nicely if he continues to show out. 🤞 that’s why they develop lower round draft picks, for just these occasions.

Go Bills!!!

Even with injuries, there are still multiple receivers ahead of him that will play if Diggs and/or Davis are out. McKenzie, Crowder, and Shakir. And the Bills like Kumerow too.

I'm not against him making the team, but it's a lot to ask to have a 6th receiver who literally does nothing but sit on the bench. Hodgins needs to be a factor on special teams (not sure if he is or isn't, honestly).

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Even with injuries, there are still multiple receivers ahead of him that will play if Diggs and/or Davis are out. McKenzie, Crowder, and Shakir. And the Bills like Kumerow too.

I'm not against him making the team, but it's a lot to ask to have a 6th receiver who literally does nothing but sit on the bench. Hodgins needs to be a factor on special teams (not sure if he is or isn't, honestly).

I don’t think it is a lot to ask of your backups to be a threat to score points, it’s why they are there.  Who takes the spots of the guys who fill in when say two starting receivers are out for a game or two?  

That’s where the lower rung guys like Hodgins can see the field, and it’s not like he is a talent free zone, the kids got some skills and know how.

Folk had similar doubts about Davis as well, and he progressed quite nicely, iirc he didn’t do STs at all.    

The team develops players pretty darn well imo. That and according to myth and rumor Hodgins has gotten some time with STs, we shall see I guess, 👍

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, MJS said:

To me,  it looks like this may come down more to Hodgins vs Crowder rather than Hodgins vs Kumerow.  McKenzie seems to have all but locked down the third spot and Shakir is making a strong argument for himself as the fourth guy.  Do you keep an 8th year guy who has had a disappointing first training camp with the team over a 23 year old prospect who seems to be stepping up after finally getting healthy? 

If Hodgins has another strong preseason game this weekend, I suspect Crowder may be the odd man out.   

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

I see more from Hodgins at WR than Kumero, so I’d like to see him stick.  I’m a proponent of keeping the best player at their position if STs is close.  Also, IF and that’s a big IF, he is showing as much in camp as reported, then I’d like to see him on the field, especially in the RZ.  Having big bodies to create mismatches when the space gets tight is a really a big deal.  There’s only so much space you can “find” when things get tight.   He didn’t appear to get much separation out there, but was plucking balls with people draped on him.  That’s a valuable skill set in the RZ.   I’d love to see Diggs, Davis, Hodgins, and 2 TEs out there.  It would be very hard to defend.  Diggs creates havoc anyway, everyone else should be able to simply outsize their defenders. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.