Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The drying up of the great salt lake is making things extra salty these days I see. 

I move around a lot.  Just left Fairbanks Alaska, now in Memphis.   Not sure about the water level in the Mississippi, I'll have to check.

3 hours ago, JimmyNoodles said:

We have 4 guys in the slot: McKenzie, Shakir, Austin, and Crowder. Don’t need that many. IF Austin becomes the primary returner he’s safe. McKenzie and Shakir aren’t going anywhere. That leaves Crowder as the odd man out. 

It matters than Crowder's contract is guaranteed.  I expect Buffalo to try to trade Crowder, but if that doesn't happen, I predict that we keep seven and Stevenson goes to the practice squad.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

with this offense slot skill set works everywhere imo

People also forget that in 11 personal only one wr is on the line. The other 2 play off the line so they can go in motion. They need to play inside or out on any given play. 

• Agree 1

I really like Hodgins and hope he makes the team and contributes.

But I came to say other thing. I am rewatching 4th quarter since I didn't have a chance to watch it yesterday, and man, Luke Tenuta as LT is brutal on that Hodgins 27y circus catch. He didn't even slow down his rusher. Its amazing that Barkley managed to throw that ball. Go and look. 

Edited by No_Matter_What

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

On a team with high priced superstars at QB, WR, EDGE and CB … you have to make tough decisions.

One of them is who re-sign.. Can’t just pay a guy like Poyer, otherwise that deal would already be done.

The other is asset allocation.  And I’m not sure we’re at the point any longer where we can afford to risk losing talented young players with multiple years on cost controlled contracts, just because we want to have ST’s-centric guys in Jones, Matakevich and Kumerow. 

We’ll see how the next two preseason games, and corresponding practices, go.. but if I had my way, a lot of thought would go into the idea that those three would be replaced by Blackshear, Spector and Hodgins. 

Give me the RB4 that can actually play RB/return kicks.  Give me a young backup LB on teams that can actually play LB, especially if we may have to move off one of Edmunds or Milano after this year.  And Hodgins will be a WR5/6 for another team if we don’t make him WR5/6 here. 

Young, cost controlled talent is more important than ever now, and guys like Hodgins and Benford are 53 or another team territory.  I checked Twitter and yesterday during the game and those two were being discussed by legitimate NFL accounts and reporters. 

Not sure about Hodgins, but Spector and Blackshear strike me as guys who can definitely be solid on ST’s. 

Get Bedford and Hodges at gunner.  See what they can do.

37 minutes ago, No_Matter_What said:

I really like Hodgins and hope he makes the team and contributes.

But I came to say other thing. I am rewatching 4th quarter since I didn't have a chance to watch it yesterday, and man, Luke Tenuta as LT is brutal on that Hodgins 27y circus catch. He didn't even slow down his rusher. Its amazing that Barkley managed to throw that ball. Go and look. 

It's just his first preseason game,  but yeah,  I thought Tenuta had a pretty rough game.  

As for Hodgins,  again, it's just one preseason game,  but if he keeps playing like that,  it's going to be hard to keep him off the roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

If they cut Hodgins he’ll probably be a NY Giant the same day.

I agree.  Who can and cannot clear waivers and get to the PS has to be a factor in the final roster spots along with next years

depth slots chances.

Hodgins:

As to Hodgins I would think the coaches (and most of us fans) would agree that he deserves more snaps with the 2s in camp

and in the next 2 preseason games.  Another thing to watch for is any ST reps he may be taking in camp/games.  While ST is important

I would also just add that IF 7 WRs are kept at least one probably won't dress.  I would have no problem with Hodgins being kept for

his pass catching depth skills vs him getting lost to waivers.  He needs to stay healthy the rest of the off season!

Kumerow:

While I wanted to see him succeed at his primary position (WR) I have to say his WR play is not very good.  He got his chance last

year to prove that and the result was in 116 offensive snaps with 2 catches on 6 targets for 28 yards.  His WR play in the remaining

games must be taken into consideration as to whether he makes the team.

I say all this assuming Jones is a lock.  I refuse to believe that one year of good ST play (that is all Kumerow has had) guarantees him

a roster spot.  If the coaches think as I do, Kumerow has to prove his worth as a WR too.  These bubble players know this better than

we do so these 2 guys have to know they are probably in a fight for that spot. 

I'm looking forward to seeing who wins this challenge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.