Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

52 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That’s the case when a team is stacked with talent,  sadly we will have some guys poached by other teams, is what it is. 

Get a non-premium position poached, or lose a guy like Wildgoose at a premium position .. ok.. No one was treating him like Benford last year before we tried to stash him. 

You can’t be losing a guy with the potential of Hodgins.  JMO, but there’s levels to this. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Get a non-premium position poached, or lose a guy like Wildgoose at a premium position .. ok.. No one was treating him like Benford last year before we tried to stash him. 

You can’t be losing a guy with the potential of Hodgins.  JMO, but there’s levels to this. 

I agree on Hodgins, the Coaches and Hodgins have put a lot of work in, and it shows, I think he will be one of the seven WR we keep on the 53, jmo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Beast said:

What if he drops a couple the next game or doesn’t have any catches?

I mean, sure, that could happen .. but I don’t know why it would.   He’s been a camp standout and everyone said “ok, let’s see what he does in a game”, and then he balled out in the game.  

At this point, he’s trending towards legit depth WR. 

I have to think he knows, whether communicated to him directly or indirectly, that the month of August determines if he makes this team.  So far, so good. 

32 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I’d personally be shocked if Kumerow makes it over Crowder. Maybe it’s just my personal bias. I hate keeping a guy just for his special teams play when he brings absolutely nothing else. Kumerow as a receiver is below average at best. Crowder had more yards last season than Kumerow in his entire career. 

The way they value ST’s on the Bills gives the nod to Jake.  I do believe he’s a better receiver than people give him credit for.

29 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

We have 4 guys in the slot: McKenzie, Shakir, Austin, and Crowder. Don’t need that many. IF Austin becomes the primary returner he’s safe. McKenzie and Shakir aren’t going anywhere. That leaves Crowder as the odd man out. 

with this offense slot skill set works everywhere imo

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Taiwan isn't just a gunner, he has been an elite gunner, one of the best in the NFL. Now I do think he slowed a tad last year but my instinct is that for the Bills none of the other candidates have yet passed him. I don't think he is a lock, but I expect him to make the roster at this point. 

Being that he didn’t play a snap, I would say he’s a lock.

31 minutes ago, JimmyNoodles said:

We have 4 guys in the slot: McKenzie, Shakir, Austin, and Crowder. Don’t need that many. IF Austin becomes the primary returner he’s safe. McKenzie and Shakir aren’t going anywhere. That leaves Crowder as the odd man out. 

Shakir is probably our main back up on the outside….probably with Hodgins.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Taiwan isn't just a gunner, he has been an elite gunner, one of the best in the NFL. Now I do think he slowed a tad last year but my instinct is that for the Bills none of the other candidates have yet passed him. I don't think he is a lock, but I expect him to make the roster at this point. 

Agreed. My point was that Duke's chance probably comes down to finding a solid gunner to replace Taiwan.  Given the potency of their O, I would think they put more weight on the gunner position than the return.

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Always good to have tall receivers for red zone play and he would be the Bills tallest if he stays. Bills will have some tough decisions to make at the WR position

Kumerow and Pau'u are 6-4.

2 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Yeah he can stay. Remember his rookie year he was having just as good as a camp as Gabe Davis. As long as his injuries are a thing of a past sign me up. Bye Kumerow

If Bills keep 7 WR Hodgins and Kumerow coukd both stick. Stevenson and Austen apparently aren't needed for returns; Cook,Shakir McKenzie and Duke could handle them.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We drafted him

we’ve been patient with him

We need to keep him

I don't see it as a "must" keep him, be cool if he made it, but it's not a need to do type thing.  The reality is we have fielded the #1 offense in the AFC 2 consecutive years, and the 5th WR on depth chart averaged just 25 rec for 230 yards, including one of those seasons being a 17 game season.  No one behind the 5th guy even registered 100 total yards, and in both seasons we saw injuries to our #2 WRs and also our #3 WR last year...still didn't get any action from the depth guys as a WR.

What that means, is Hodgins is going to need to contribute on ST if he is going to make this team because he won't likely see any meaningful amount of snaps as a WR.  

I like Hodgins, and will be rooting for him to make the team.  And I will say he has gone from an after thought early in camp to guy who now has at least made the decision tough and trending in the right direction.  But the reality is this team will be hard to make, and he has at the very least Diggs, Davis, McKenzie and Shakir ahead of him, and there is still the possibility Crowder finds a roster spot.  So I still think Hodgins will likely have to show he can play ST if he wants to make this a "must" keep situation.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

"Must" as in orginal OP is a big word. 

There are taller WRs on roster including Jake Kumerow.   

There are lots of factors - special teams role, availability, number of playbook roles, years left on rookie contract, etc.  This is a jigsaw which there is no picture on box and many pieces are similiar.

kumerow fumbled. So we will probably never see him ever again. 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.