Hodgins must stay

John from Riverside

10 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Hodgins had a nice game yesterday.  Did he play on special teams at all yesterday?  It was difficult to tell watching on TV who most of the STs guys were.

Not on the coverage teams. Not sure about the return teams. 

I am not at "Hodgins must stay" but I think he helped himself last night at the same time as two of the guys perceived to be ahead of him in the pecking order did the one thing McDermott hates most - turn the ball over. He is still a long shot but I'm not quite ready to rule him out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Who was it the water guy?

Yea they are confused. He might make the team but you don't HAVE to keep someone b.c they been on the roster and was drafted by the team. 

The reasons listed by the OP have no effect if he makes the team.

Still slightly confused then, maybe more coffee ️ 

They don’t draft and keep guys and then work on them for years for not, imo it is likely he is kept, it may be PS but they will keep him, “if” he continues to show out in the next two preseason games he will be harder to stash on the PS. That and he has evident upside.  What’s not to like? 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

They don’t draft and keep guys and then work on them for years for not, imo it is likely he is kept, it may be PS but they will keep him, “if” he continues to show out in the next two preseason games he will be harder to stash on the PS. That and he has evident upside.  What’s not to like? 

Go have your coffee then come back when you realize that everything you are saying has nothing to do with what I said. Don't know how you are still this confused.

Edited by TBBills
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

nothing so far indicates Hodgins is better at that than any of the other 5th or 6th WRs that have rolled through Buffalo. The difference is that some of the others  contributed elsewhere. That's how they keep a spot. Dorsey doesn't set the roster.

Was interesting to me that Kumerow did not get an opportunity as a gunner. Last year when Neal and Jones sat in pre-season Kumerow got a shot and did it some in the season. Cam Lewis and Nick McCloud were the gunners last night I think based on what I could see. Is that because they know what Kumerow can do and are content? Or is it because they think to win a spot he had to show out as a receiver? The answer to that question is critical to Hodgins's chances. If it is just him v Kumerow as a receiver, he has a shot. If actually the body of work counts (offense and teams) then he doesn't. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

nothing so far indicates Hodgins is better at that than any of the other 5th or 6th WRs that have rolled through Buffalo. The difference is that some of the others  contributed elsewhere. That's how they keep a spot. Dorsey doesn't set the roster.

Nothing so far says he isn’t, and as the OC Dorsey does have some influence, I’m not saying Hodgins is the be all end all, iirc he has had reps with ST during training camp so, ya never know…, 

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

would they play him the next two games if the intent is to try to stash him on the practice squad. Seems like we lost a few of these guys last year to other teams?

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not at "Hodgins must stay" but I think he helped himself last night at the same time as two of the guys perceived to be ahead of him in the pecking order did the one thing McDermott hates most - turn the ball over. He is still a long shot but I'm not quite ready to rule him out. 

I agree he's not a must stay.  I think he earned a longer look.  If he played "teams" I would like his chances a little more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Nothing so far says he isn’t, and as the OC Dorsey does have some influence, I’m not saying Hodgins is the be all end all, iirc he has had reps with ST during training camp so, ya never know…, 

I recall him not doing ST at all, but that's the question in my book, injuries aside.

1 minute ago, SRQ_BillsFan said:

would they play him the next two games if the intent is to try to stash him on the practice squad. Seems like we lost a few of these guys last year to other teams?

That’s the case when a team is stacked with talent,  sadly we will have some guys poached by other teams, is what it is. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I saw him as Gunner (I think) after our fumble TD around 6:20 of the 2nd quarter.  He got down there ok but was gobbled up on a block.  Didn’t look like he was eager to have contact and will get a - on that play.  They returned to the 36.

Didn’t see him on st after that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I recall him not doing ST at all, but that's the question in my book, injuries aside.

Could be so, it was something i seem

to recall reading here, on the injury side, part of it could be the attempt to keep him stashed in a way to keep him

out of sight so to speak, we have been up to our ears in quality receivers the last couple of years. It could be a case for Hodgins of to little to late, but I still think they make and attempt to keep him. 

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I can definitely see it happening.

Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir, Mackenzie, Hodgins

All except Crowder.  Don’t see him making the team.  Shakir played too well and McKenzie is the starting slot.

Kumerow makes the team because of ST play.  He has shown the ability to be a decent 4th/5th WR.

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 1

On a team with high priced superstars at QB, WR, EDGE and CB … you have to make tough decisions.

One of them is who re-sign.. Can’t just pay a guy like Poyer, otherwise that deal would already be done.

The other is asset allocation.  And I’m not sure we’re at the point any longer where we can afford to risk losing talented young players with multiple years on cost controlled contracts, just because we want to have ST’s-centric guys in Jones, Matakevich and Kumerow. 

We’ll see how the next two preseason games, and corresponding practices, go.. but if I had my way, a lot of thought would go into the idea that those three would be replaced by Blackshear, Spector and Hodgins. 

Give me the RB4 that can actually play RB/return kicks.  Give me a young backup LB on teams that can actually play LB, especially if we may have to move off one of Edmunds or Milano after this year.  And Hodgins will be a WR5/6 for another team if we don’t make him WR5/6 here. 

Young, cost controlled talent is more important than ever now, and guys like Hodgins and Benford are 53 or another team territory.  I checked Twitter and yesterday during the game and those two were being discussed by legitimate NFL accounts and reporters. 

Not sure about Hodgins, but Spector and Blackshear strike me as guys who can definitely be solid on ST’s. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

All except Crowder.  Don’t see him making the team.  Shakir played too well and McKenzie is the starting slot.

Kumerow makes the team because of ST play.  He has shown the ability to be a decent 4th/5th WR.

I’d personally be shocked if Kumerow makes it over Crowder. Maybe it’s just my personal bias. I hate keeping a guy just for his special teams play when he brings absolutely nothing else. Kumerow as a receiver is below average at best. Crowder had more yards last season than Kumerow in his entire career. 

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Was interesting to me that Kumerow did not get an opportunity as a gunner. Last year when Neal and Jones sat in pre-season Kumerow got a shot and did it some in the season. Cam Lewis and Nick McCloud were the gunners last night I think based on what I could see. Is that because they know what Kumerow can do and are content? Or is it because they think to win a spot he had to show out as a receiver? The answer to that question is critical to Hodgins's chances. If it is just him v Kumerow as a receiver, he has a shot. If actually the body of work counts (offense and teams) then he doesn't. 

I think the gunner positions are going to influence several battles.  Duke J was the best KO returner last night, but making the team will depend on whether or not someone other than Taiwan Jones is a viable gunner. Is there someone at another position that would make Jones expendable on coverage teams?

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

I think the gunner positions are going to influence several battles.  Duke J was the best KO returner last night, but making the team will depend on whether or not someone other than Taiwan Jones is a viable gunner. Is there someone at another position that would make Jones expendable on coverage teams?

Taiwan isn't just a gunner, he has been an elite gunner, one of the best in the NFL. Now I do think he slowed a tad last year but my instinct is that for the Bills none of the other candidates have yet passed him. I don't think he is a lock, but I expect him to make the roster at this point. 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.