So much talent

Scott7975

I think we are all hoping that Brown shows improvement from his first year, but given his recovery from back surgery and lack of reps in camp, I am not sure that we count on that, particularly in the beginning part of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

There is literally no one worth it that's available. Keenum, from what I have seen from him in the past, is not bad. The guy basically lead the vikings to the NFC championship game in his one year there and had the best year of his career. But in the free agency pool, the only player I would even consider is calling Fitz and seeing if he wants to come out of retirement. Because that's seriously all that's out there

Oh boy, you are right.  I looked at this list and nearly cried. 
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/commanders/every-nfl-teams-starting-and-backup-quarterback-2022

If any starter goes down on any team, they are in a load of trouble, outside of some lower tier starters who are fighting for jobs in Seattle, Carolina and maybe Pittsburgh who won't have as drastic a drop off.  I thought maybe there would be some vet cuts that we could pick up someone, but I'm not sure if a Flacco or Mullins would be an upgrade.  I was kind of happy with Keenum but watching him overthrow everyone and look so lost in the pocket was disheartening. 

Is this offense that hard to pick up quickly?  He has done some decent work but there's reports his practice reps suck too.  I hope he catches up soon.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Oh boy, you are right.  I looked at this list and nearly cried. 
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/commanders/every-nfl-teams-starting-and-backup-quarterback-2022

If any starter goes down on any team, they are in a load of trouble, outside of some lower tier starters who are fighting for jobs in Seattle, Carolina and maybe Pittsburgh who won't have as drastic a drop off.  I thought maybe there would be some vet cuts that we could pick up someone, but I'm not sure if a Flacco or Mullins would be an upgrade.  I was kind of happy with Keenum but watching him overthrow everyone and look so lost in the pocket was disheartening. 

Is this offense that hard to pick up quickly?  He has done some decent work but there's reports his practice reps suck too.  I hope he catches up soon.

Forgot who it was, maybe Sanders?, said it was the most complicated offense he ever played in.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Agree with you.  RT on the o-line is a concern.

I think Spencer brown is going to be fine as starter, and Quessenberry is more than adequate as a backup.  Tenuta is going to be on the practice squad at best.  He may have upside, but he needs plenty of development.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, NickelCity said:

We are definitely not deep at OLine. If any starter goes down we're putting in a liability. One could argue that Quessenberry can fill in for Brown, fair enough (though I expect Brown to be noticably better than Qberry when he's back at full go)..but what about any other position on the line?

FWIW Pat Kirwin on the Sirius camp tour was praising Beane for the OL situation - said if all 5 OL go down they have experienced players who have started games who can fll every position - said he's not aware of any other team that can say that.  He mentioned they just came from Pats** camp and they have NO ONE (his emphasis) past their starting 5.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

FWIW Pat Kirwin on the Sirius camp tour was praising Beane for the OL situation - said if all 5 OL go down they have experienced players who have started games who can fll every position - said he's not aware of any other team that can say that.  He mentioned they just came from Pats** camp and they have NO ONE (his emphasis) past their starting 5.  

I hope I'm wrong and Kirwin is right, 100%!

I think it's more the type of talent they have this year than having "more" of it over last year. I've said in the past they banked on smaller, quick penetrating players. Then the NFL went and was like.. yea.. offensive holding.. we're not really gonna call it unless it's egregious. 

They've course corrected and now they have more guys who are physical. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, NickelCity said:

We are definitely not deep at OLine. If any starter goes down we're putting in a liability. One could argue that Quessenberry can fill in for Brown, fair enough (though I expect Brown to be noticably better than Qberry when he's back at full go)..but what about any other position on the line?

Everyone realizes we rested our "top 7" OL yesterday, right?

A rookie in Tenuta, who likely lands on our P/S was starting at RT and Bobby Hart at G (who might be another P/S candidate).  This was going up against the Colts mostly starters.

Same can be said of Keenum.  He was behind this OL grouping that will never sniff a down (as a collective unit) this season.  Put our starting OL in front of Keenum, and this is a different story.

8 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Everyone realizes we rested our "top 7" OL yesterday, right?

A rookie in Tenuta, who likely lands on our P/S was starting at RT and Bobby Hart at G (who might be another P/S candidate).  This was going up against the Colts mostly starters.

Same can be said of Keenum.  He was behind this OL grouping that will never sniff a down (as a collective unit) this season.  Put our starting OL in front of Keenum, and this is a different story.

Yes. Or at least if you're referencing me, yes. I've got no issue with our starting 5. I don't like our depth.

4 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Yes. Or at least if you're referencing me, yes. I've got no issue with our starting 5. I don't like our depth.

Yeah I can understand the "depth" concerns, when our primary backups are guys who have bounced between a team or two/have some flaws.  Ideally we could have landed a solid interior OL in round 3-4, but Bernard was a solid pick and draft board must not have aligned.

But many teams struggle to field a solid 5.  I feel we've come along/improved vs last season, when Cody lined up as a starter week 1 (he's likely our 9th, maybe 10th OL right now).

I'm good with our depth right now, considering what that means in the current NFL:

1. Mancz: starting experience, backup C

2. Quesennbery: past starter, I think he'd be fine at RT or RG backup

3. Doyle: continues his development, young guy who is likely our swing tackle next year

4. Ford or VanRoten: starting exp, think Ford makes it but not a lock.  One of these guys likely gets traded, or Beane attempts to (barring injury)

Next year, I see us drafting at least 1 maybe 2 guys again for the trenches.  Until then, this group is better on paper than last year, IMO

14 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Keenum looked terrible. If this is a real QB competition then he would get cut in favor of Barkley but I think they would need to take into account their entire resume first because I don't know if they want to roll into the season with just Allen and Barkley a la Peterman and Allen 2018

14 hours ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Agreed on Keenum. We are deep everywhere but backup QB. Barkley getting some yards on the #3's is not going to ease my concern. I'd like to see us look at some of the other vet cuts and see if we can find a real #2. I think the OL will come together and the WR's, TE's and RB's look good. Defense looks tough. Keep Josh healthy and rested up and we got a real shot.

Agree Keenum looked bad. But dont forget he played against the 1/2's on the colts. Barkley was playing 3/4/5's. But he did look much better regardless. 

14 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

There is literally no one worth it that's available. Keenum, from what I have seen from him in the past, is not bad. The guy basically lead the vikings to the NFC championship game in his one year there and had the best year of his career. But in the free agency pool, the only player I would even consider is calling Fitz and seeing if he wants to come out of retirement. Because that's seriously all that's out there

So true.  Keenum had a very bad half of football.  His 9 years shows much more.

Barkley was signed after Keenum and even he would think Keenum is primary backup.  If true, I'm thinking Barkley has no problem

going to PS for a while to start the year.  If Barkley wasn't willing to do that then Beane made a mistake signing him versus a developmental guy.

I don't think Beane makes those kinds of mistakes.

16 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

According to this NFL.Com Article we are not in the top 5

https://www.nfl.com/news/bears-qb-justin-fields-poised-for-breakout-year-2-in-new-offense-plus-the-nfl-s-

1. Chargers

2. Saints 

3. Rams

4. Packers

5. Browns

Not sure what writer was thinking - especially with Saints and Browns

Wow … just …. Wow … #1 Defense last year and the best QB in the league 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

He got the browns by when he had to start two games last year.

That’s all you can ask of a backup. Get me through a couple of games. If he has to salvage a season he would probably be a starter somewhere else. 

22 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Defensive depth is extremely good… Shakir and Hodgins were impressive…. As were Elam and Benford…. Only disappointment was the offensive line(not surprising) and Keenum.

Lots of good a bit of not so good, I ‘m thinking that some of the o line problems will be gone or part of the PS, which should help 👍

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.