Lamar wants his contract situation to be settled by week 1

Draconator

7 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

Do we  know the specifics of the deal they offered? Maybe it was much lower than Lamars expectations. He’s a marginal talent, who won’t win you playoff games, never mind a SB. 

Marginal talents don’t win league MVPs nor have THREE TIMES as many wins as losses as starting QB in the NFL. Let’s not go that far with it.

7 hours ago, boater said:

Baltimore kind of did this to themself. They probably could have extended Lamar earlier at a lower price.

Beane foresaw this wildly inflated QB market. That's why he extended Allen when he did---he avoided the craziness. What a wise man.

It was a 2-way street there.  Josh and his agent could have held things up, but they didn't.

In a way it was Josh giving a discount and I'm sure he didn't care about being the highest paid.

He wants championships and has more money already than he could ever spend.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Marginal talents don’t win league MVPs nor have THREE TIMES as many wins as losses as starting QB in the NFL. Let’s not go that far with it.

I hear he’s extremely similar to Tyrod.  He can’t be that good

• Disagree 1

30 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I disagree. Marginal talents with specific skill sets can get you a lick and tickle but will never get you to the promised land.  That is Lamar in a nutshell.  He’s got some amazing skills and athletic ability galore, but the mental side which is what makes the difference isn’t there.

ten years from now with no ring and  fewer playoff wins I’ll be proven right.  

• Disagree 2

6 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

I disagree. Marginal talents with specific skill sets can get you a lick and tickle but will never get you to the promised land.  That is Lamar in a nutshell.  He’s got some amazing skills and athletic ability galore, but the mental side which is what makes the difference isn’t there.

The question regarding Lamar isn't whether he is an elite talent or not. He absolutely is. Can't see how anyone could question that. The question is will those elite talents hold up to the age of 28, 30 or 32? Those are very young ages in terms of the shelf life of a modern day QB. If his elite skill set falls off before the age of 30 that would be a big problem for Baltimore. Last year he was injured pretty badly apparently as he never came back. Baltimore could very well be concerned about how Lamar's body might not hold up in the coming years if they offer him a lucrative extension. 

My stance currently is that I don't expect a deal to be done before the season. My thinking is if it has not been done by now why would it get done in the coming three weeks. The time for a deal was was 13 or 14 months ago. Basically every good promising young QB since 2017 has gotten a deal BEFORE the first preseason game going into their 4th season. That list includes Watson, Mahomes, Murray and Allen. Lamar is now going into his 5th season.

6 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The question regarding Lamar isn't whether he is an elite talent or not. He absolutely is. Can't see how anyone could question that. The question is will those elite talents hold up to the age of 28, 30 or 32? Those are very young ages in terms of the shelf life of a modern day QB. If his elite skill set falls off before the age of 30 that would be a big problem for Baltimore. Last year he was injured pretty badly apparently as he never came back. Baltimore could very well be concerned about how Lamar's body might not hold up in the coming years if they offer him a lucrative extension. 

My stance currently is that I don't expect a deal to be done before the season. My thinking is if it has not been done by now why would it get done in the coming three weeks. The time for a deal was was 13 or 14 months ago. Basically every good promising young QB since 2017 has gotten a deal BEFORE the first preseason game going into their 4th season. That list includes Watson, Mahomes, Murray and Allen. Lamar is now going into his 5th season.

To my point.  He is his own agent and calls his own shots.  He avoided the conversation for months but now wants it done in a month.  If he’s playing chicken with a team that was to a degree balking then my assumption is he loses.  Any QB has diminishing skills as time marches on , and his due to their nature diminish at a faster rate.  I dont believe he has the ability to compensate in other ways for his diminishing physical skills.   My opinion and I stick too it 

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Lamar Jackson a 'marginal talent' lol

Please describe what you mean regarding his incredible talent?  If it’s he’s an amazing athlete and can scramble, outrun, juke defenders and change how teams defend I’m with you on those points.  If your telling me he has the ability to out pass, outplay(sans running) and outthink outsmart opposing defenses your sadly mistaken. In this league and at this position athletic ability gets you only so far. Just ask our friend Tom Brady who most single-handedly beat the sh$t outbid us and if he’s within 25% the athlete LM is well then I’m all washed up.    

LM will win you games for the next 3-5 years on his skill set, but unless he changes his mental fortitude and his skill set you’ll never sniff a Lombardi.  Take that to the bank

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

It was a 2-way street there.  Josh and his agent could have held things up, but they didn't.

In a way it was Josh giving a discount and I'm sure he didn't care about being the highest paid.

Question: How do you make a small fortune by farming?

Answer: Start with a large fortune

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I could spend that *****.

• Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

I don't see how anyone can call Lamar Jackson a "marginal talent" LOL.

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah someone pointed out on here the issue with Lamar is he won't be able to do what he does forever, but he will be able to do it through a reasonable extension. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Please elaborate on what makes his “other skills” -those other than his athleticism-so exceptional.  I don’t see anything placing him in the top 10 if you take away his athletics. 

I don’t believe he can be an exceptional passer 

I don’t believe he has the smarts to grow his game as he ages

i dont believe he has the heart to win those brutal games where it’s all going

bad and he has to dig deep

i don’t believe if he partially loses his athleticism due to injury or affects of an injury he can compensate. 

I DO believe he’s a good guy and a good teammate

I Do believe he’s a phenomenal athlete and uses every ounce of that to its fullest

I DO believe he will win you games-more than you lose year to year

However at the contract he wants and how he is going about his business do you want to just make the playoffs? Or do you want to win it all?  I cannot see him winning it all for you-so you move on. 

just my opinion 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.