Lamar wants his contract situation to be settled by week 1

Draconator

30 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The problem every NFL teams now has, is what D Watson and T Murray got. The bar just when up, way up. .... The Bills are fortunate to have Josh's deal done before the insanity started.

Beane looks like a genius how he did that deal early with Allen and Tre for that matter.  The Bills in this regime don’t seem to let their star players twist until the end.   That’s why I wouldn’t be surprised if Knox is extended before this season.  Next year Oliver.  I think they drafted the LB to become Edmunds replacement and let him walk.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, wjag said:

That Watson contract will haunt the Browns and every NFL team for years to come.

It also means there is little wiggle room on the Browns to move money around.  Pat and Josh can get money moved to free up salary for must sign team mates.  How does Cleveland do it now that all Watson money is fully guaranteed? 

Can Cleveland pay him say 45 of 50m in a year and then pay him 55 instead of 50 in the next year?

Thats the problem with Cleveland.  They have a ton of space this year, but will be tight next year.  It’s why they probably will give Jimmy G. a modest contract like Carolina did with BM, as there is no way Watson won’t have his suspension extended for the rest of the year.

Goodell knows his predatory behavior is a huge, huge black eye for the league, and he would be right.

7 hours ago, Bills fan since 87 said:

Ravens gotta overpay him and thats on them.  Should not have gotten this far.

7 hours ago, benderbender said:

Even if they had paid him right after Josh's deal, they'd have saved a ton. They seem like such a smart organization, I have no idea what they thought was going to come along that is better. 

Man, they’d be looking at the 5th to 7th highest paid qb if done at or before that time, and continue to slide down that list with the way this league works.

Yes, it was a mistake not to get a deal done earlier.  I am of the camp he is not worth the money (even back then), but he is still is a good qb and good starter in a qb hungry league.  Bite the bullet.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Such a poor decision (and poor counseling/advice from family/friends) to not have an agent.  It’s really mind boggling.  I’m not hating on Lamar, but he is not qualified to negotiate contracts.  It really is that simple.  Gotta question the kid’s judgment.

Unfortunately for the Ravens they are in a bind, but if Lamar had an agent I think this deal would have been done months ago.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Man, they’d be looking at the 5th to 7th highest paid qb if done at or before that time, and continue to slide down that list with the way this league works.

Yes, it was a mistake not to get a deal done earlier.  I am of the camp he is not worth the money (even back then), but he is still is a good qb and good starter in a qb hungry league.  Bite the bullet.

My questions is even if you're not sold on him personally, who is available that is better than Lamar Jackson? Jimmy G? They're not tanking for a pick so they'll have to package picks for a top QB prospect. And even then you're hoping for someone at least equally as talented which is about as low percentage a crap shoot as I can think of.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Maybe you all missed where the Ravens wanted to get a deal done and Jackson refused at the time.

There is that of course, 

Its an odd dynamic going on there in Baltimore, but whatever, its not our problem. 

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t think he’s worth what he’s asking BUT the dude is 37-12 as a starter!

Since it’s just him in negotiations with the team there have been no leaks there is literally no information- good or bad - about what he asking for.  We can make a good guess based on the Murray and Watson contracts, but that’s all we have to go on. I am fascinated by this process. If he walks away with Murray’s contract plus, then it worked out better than having an agent would have for him.

Injury is really the only risk for him and that isn’t a big one IMO. If Dak can get paid after being injured, then Lamar can. I would also bet that he took out an insurance policy in the event of something catastrophic/career ending. 

9 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’ve never got the sense this guy was a genius in interviews. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am. I understand why an NFL player would not want to hire an agent for financial reasons. They got a nice big chunk of that contract and if you can avoid it, you do. But, avoiding it means you’ve got to represent yourself and understand how to work on your behalf against people who really know what they’re doing. You’re a football player, not an agent. There’s a reason that both vocations have different job titles and roles.

They can get free help from the NFL Players' Union.

3 hours ago, CSBill said:

The problem every NFL teams now has, is what D Watson and T Murray got. The bar just when up, way up. .... The Bills are fortunate to have Josh's deal done before the insanity started.

Maybe some day owners/GMs  will grow a pair and not pay marginal talent franchise talent money, Murray has never won a playoff game FCS. 

• Agree 1

Isn’t he the one who has been unwilling to negotiate a new contract?

The ravens have been trying to get one done for over a year but have had trouble getting Jackson to engage in discussions. Now suddenly there’s a hard deadline?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/03/06/lamar-jacksons-failure-to-engage-ravens-points-to-awkward-outcome-for-everyone/

12 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t think he’s worth what he’s asking BUT the dude is 37-12 as a starter!

meh.  1 playoff win in 3 appearances.  Even Jimmy G is 33-14 and 5-2 in the playoffs, including SB appearance and 2 SF wins over GB/Rodgers---and no one wants him.

11 hours ago, StHustle said:

Maybe you all missed where the Ravens wanted to get a deal done and Jackson refused at the time.

Do we  know the specifics of the deal they offered? Maybe it was much lower than Lamars expectations. He’s a marginal talent, who won’t win you playoff games, never mind a SB. 

Baltimore kind of did this to themself. They probably could have extended Lamar earlier at a lower price.

Beane foresaw this wildly inflated QB market. That's why he extended Allen when he did---he avoided the craziness. What a wise man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.