Lamar wants his contract situation to be settled by week 1

Draconator

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-sets-week-1-deadline-on-contract-talks

Lamar Jackson wants his contract situation settled before the Baltimore Ravens open the regular season on Sept. 11 against the New York Jets.

The former AP NFL Most Valuable Player was asked Saturday if negotiations had a hard deadline.

"Yeah, we coming up to it. It's coming up. Season's coming up," Jackson said. "We're going to be good for the season."

With Jackson representing himself in contract negotiations, it makes sense that he'd want to leave that distraction in the offseason. The QB added that he had "no updates" on the status of contract talks.

Asked if it's fair to say Week 1 is a hard deadline, Jackson responded, "Yeah, for sure."

1 minute ago, Ya Digg? said:

Doesn’t say that-just means he won’t negotiate during the season, he will make the team wait until next offseason 

Ah, maybe I just misunderstood then. If that's all it is then there is no story.  Its how it should be.  He really should just get an agent so he doesnt have to be distracted by it though.

Edited by Scott7975

8 minutes ago, benderbender said:

Even if they had paid him right after Josh's deal, they'd have saved a ton. They seem like such a smart organization, I have no idea what they thought was going to come along that is better. 

Perhaps they’re not sold on him? 

• Agree 1

I’ve never got the sense this guy was a genius in interviews. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am. I understand why an NFL player would not want to hire an agent for financial reasons. They got a nice big chunk of that contract and if you can avoid it, you do. But, avoiding it means you’ve got to represent yourself and understand how to work on your behalf against people who really know what they’re doing. You’re a football player, not an agent. There’s a reason that both vocations have different job titles and roles.

• Like (+1) 2

He’ll most likely get his contract in the next couple of weeks.  Just because he wants a Watson type contract does not mean he’ll get it.  They’ll probably work off of the Murray and Allen deals.  

I wouldn’t want to be Baltimore as his style of play will not work long term.  McD and Frazier have coached well against Baltimore’s system.  In 19 we had a weaker team, but we almost beat them losing 24-17.  It was Lamar’s worst game that season.  We completely shut them down in the playoffs in 20, only scoring 3 pts.  

This team is stronger now so I’m not worried about Baltimore.  They will be better with the injured healed by now, and they are loading up on the TE/Running game trying to get back to their 19 performance.  Look for a lot of 12 and 13 personnel this year.  At heart, Harbaugh knows Lamar’s limitations.

7 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I don’t think he’s worth what he’s asking BUT the dude is 37-12 as a starter!

The problem every NFL teams now has, is what D Watson and T Murray got. The bar just when up, way up. .... The Bills are fortunate to have Josh's deal done before the insanity started.

• Agree 1

That Watson contract will haunt the Browns and every NFL team for years to come.

It also means there is little wiggle room on the Browns to move money around.  Pat and Josh can get money moved to free up salary for must sign team mates.  How does Cleveland do it now that all Watson money is fully guaranteed? 

Can Cleveland pay him say 45 of 50m in a year and then pay him 55 instead of 50 in the next year?

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.