Does LB Baylon Spector make the Bills final 53?

HOUSE

6 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yes, he is replaces Tyler Matakevich next year on a much better salary. 
I think Spector plays the first 6 games this year for Smith and if he is doing well, the Bills have a tough decision to make. 

Why not this year?  Matakevich doesn't do much for this team.  Save money now. $750,000 dead money and $2.5M cap savings.  Use that for Poyer or Knox.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalosouth said:

Can the 7th rounder beat out Matakevich? Does the preseason give him time to take his roster spot? Tune in preseason week 2 to find out.

I think the goal is for him to replace A. J. Klein who they liked but cut for salary cap purposes.  It will probably take a year in the system adding mass and muscle to do it. He repaced Edmunds and thiis is a hard defense to be the Mike due to how complicated the defense is. 

I am very surprised A. J. Klein has not got interviews on other teams and Bills did not offer him an offer him a reduced contract.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Why not this year?  Matakevich doesn't do much for this team.  Save money now. $750,000 dead money and $2.5M cap savings.  Use that for Poyer or Knox.  

I like the idea, not sure Beane and McD will pull the trigger. I also could see Blackshear replacing Jones for teams/emergency RB. Every penny counts. 

10 hours ago, HOUSE said:

7th rounder,# 231 player selected

4 solo tackles 5 assists

If you don't think he makes this team please break it to me gently....

Keep him and cut Tyler Matakevich which saves us 2.5 million in cap space,  sorry but I don't recall any amazing special teams play Matakevich has provided over the past two seasons to justify his 3.25 million cap number

Edited by Niagara Dude
  • Agree 4

7 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Keep him and cut Tyler Matakevich which saves us 2.5 million in cap space,  sorry but I don't recall any amazing special teams play Matakevich has provided over the past two seasons to justify his 3.25 million cap number

Ok :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

We are an embarrassment of riches this year I think folks need to come to the realization that we’re going to lose players off of our special teams that can play

It also shows the Beane & Co know what they are up to, likely much to the chagrin of the very few left on the anti Beane train. 

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

I was thinking of posting the same thing but couldn’t spell Matakevich. 

• Haha (+1) 3

I've been making the point that the Bills save $2.5M in cap space and cash, by cutting Matakevich. It's not a ton, but it's also not nothing & Beane has talked about needing to create space.

If a cheap guy like Spector shows well in preseason it may be enough to tip the scales against Matakevich.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Considering the Bills have not extended Edmunds, I find the LB competition to be the most intriguing aspect of this camp and preseason. Can you make the argument that the defense is worse off without Edmunds on the field? His rookie contract, paying out 3.5 mil a season up until this point, was seen as a great value. Will Beane be willing to pay him $15 - $20 mil a season for the same performance?

Spector, Bernard, Giles-Harris, all played well yesterday, all had an impact on the game. A lot of it is most likely attributed to the dominance of the front 4, but they still had to take advantage of their opportunities. Spector looked great in the run game. His movement and gap integrity looked veteran-esque at times. His understanding of the coverages however, seemed to be about what you'd expect from a rookie. Bernard is continuously around the football. That kind of dedication payed off with the scoop and score. And Giles-Harris had a couple of great plays in coverage, the main one being the 3rd down pass breakup that forced the Colts to punt. 

Does Beane or McDermott view any of these guys as a "replacement" for Edmunds? No. But are they looking at the next man or men up in the event that they decide Edmunds isn't worth the asking price he will most likely command in the offseason? Absolutely. And aside from that, Milano and Edmunds have both gone down with injuries in the past. Having the depth to back them up is important. You do not want a steep decline in performance if one of them goes out. Giles-Harris certainly made his case to sit behind Milano yesterday but the spot behind Edmunds remains a question mark. Matakevich has it by default, we'll see if Spector can impress enough to make Beane consider moving on from the vet and clear some cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

Considering the Bills have not extended Edmunds, I find the LB competition to be the most intriguing aspect of this camp and preseason. Can you make the argument that the defense is worse off without Edmunds on the field? His rookie contract, paying out 3.5 mil a season up until this point, was seen as a great value. Will Beane be willing to pay him $15 - $20 mil a season for the same performance?

Spector, Bernard, Giles-Harris, all played well yesterday, all had an impact on the game. A lot of it is most likely attributed to the dominance of the front 4, but they still had to take advantage of their opportunities. Spector looked great in the run game. His movement and gap integrity looked veteran-esque at times. His understanding of the coverages however, seemed to be about what you'd expect from a rookie. Bernard is continuously around the football. That kind of dedication payed off with the scoop and score. And Giles-Harris had a couple of great plays in coverage, the main one being the 3rd down pass breakup that forced the Colts to punt. 

Does Beane or McDermott view any of these guys as a "replacement" for Edmunds? No. But are they looking at the next man or men up in the event that they decide Edmunds isn't worth the asking price he will most likely command in the offseason? Absolutely. And aside from that, Milano and Edmunds have both gone down with injuries in the past. Having the depth to back them up is important. You do not want a steep decline in performance if one of them goes out. Giles-Harris certainly made his case to sit behind Milano yesterday but the spot behind Edmunds remains a question mark. Matakevich has it by default, we'll see if Spector can impress enough to make Beane consider moving on from the vet and clear some cap space. 

I'm as big of a skeptic about Edmunds as anyone. But I wouldn't question him because of injuries. He has played 61 of 65 games in his career.  He played with a hurt shoulder. He lacks instincts but he doesn't lack durability. 

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm as big of a skeptic about Edmunds as anyone. But I wouldn't question him because of injuries. He has played 61 of 65 games in his career.  He played with a hurt shoulder. He lacks instincts but he doesn't lack durability. 

I wasn't implying he is often injured, I was illustrating that in year like this, where it's Super Bowl or bust, you don't want John DiGorggio out there if the worst was to happen to Edmunds. Depth is extremely important in a 20 game season. 

• Like (+1) 1

The only way he makes it outright is if he can take a slot away from Matekevich or Smith, and for that he would need to prove himself reliable on ST.  It’s a tall order, but if they think the will lose him on waivers, they may find a way.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Luka said:

I wasn't implying he is often injured, I was illustrating that in year like this, where it's Super Bowl or bust, you don't want John DiGorggio out there if the worst was to happen to Edmunds. Depth is extremely important in a 20 game season. 

I agree. Klein was a capable backup. Matakevich is not. Matakevich should be replaced with a cheap rookie or UDFA.  

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I think the goal is for him to replace A. J. Klein who they liked but cut for salary cap purposes.  It will probably take a year in the system adding mass and muscle to do it. He repaced Edmunds and thiis is a hard defense to be the Mike due to how complicated the defense is. 

I am very surprised A. J. Klein has not got interviews on other teams and Bills did not offer him an offer him a reduced contract.

With Klein being cut I went to the next back up on the list. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.