Does LB Baylon Spector make the Bills final 53?

HOUSE

If you feel you have found a real gem in the late round I don't think you can risk cutting him and exposing him to waivers especially with the Giants and many other teams lurking to dumpster dive other (good) teams rosters.

Obviously you can't read too much into one preseason game but pretty much all of this years draft class has shown something worthwhile so far.

• Like (+1) 2

Spector looked very natural out there reading the play and taking on the blocker. I like him but replacing Jones or Matakevich on the roster is unlikely with a team so close to a championship. Practice squad is more likely and many of our late picks get picked up by other teams. Good problem to have.  

7 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

There are always players like this where you fear they will be plucked from the practice squad by another team. But every team has a whole set of players they are trying to keep, so players like this do tend to safely stay on your practice squad.  

You are probably right but if a player has a huge preseason ,he will be gone. To many bottom feeders have nothing to lose but to claim young talent.

The Giants, Jets, LIons, Texans are good examples.

7 minutes ago, Lofton80 said:

Spector looked very natural out there reading the play and taking on the blocker. I like him but replacing Jones or Matakevich on the roster is unlikely with a team so close to a championship. Practice squad is more likely and many of our late picks get picked up by other teams. Good problem to have.  

If he plays well in the next two PS games I think he makes the 53, we shall see.

Edited by HOUSE

I thought Spector flashed a few times on Saturday.

I don't feel like third string linebackers often make plays that make me sit up and reach for the roster guide and go "who IS that guy?", but that's what happened with #54. Whether it was shedding a block and making a tackle in the hole, looking natural on a few coverage snaps, or timing his blitzes perfectly, I thought Spector looked like a guy with a future in this league. Certainly a roster-able player.

Obviously the next couple weeks will tell us more, but based on camp reports and the first look in preseason, I hope Spector makes the team.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/14/2022 at 1:32 PM, Mat68 said:

Buffalo is facing a cross roads. Cap situation is only getting tighter.  Do they take some lumps on teams with young cost controlled players that flash ability to contribute on offense or defense.  Or keep the core teams players?  Main guys on the list Tiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, Tyler Matykavic, and Siran Neal.  Blackshear/Duke Johnson or Jones?  Hodges or Kumerow? Matykavic or Spector? Cam lewis or Siran Neal?  Im for keeping the younger cheaper guys.  If they flash on teams but try hard im ok with a net neg on special teams while protecting young guys who can play on offense or defense.  At this point the veterans I have mentioned have not proved to be positive impacts on offense or defense.

You make it hard to argue with your post. Mostly because Bass-O-Matic is deadly on FGs and routinely kicks off through the uprights. Punt God?

All we need are blockers.

• Like (+1) 1

• HOUSE changed the title to Does LB Baylon Spector make the Bills final 53?
1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

You make it hard to argue with your post. Mostly because Bass-O-Matic is deadly on FGs and routinely kicks off through the uprights. Punt God?

All we need are blockers.

The blockers and gunners are usually the same guys.  The weather in buffalo is not specifically ideal for someone to just blast off on kickoffs and punts regularly.  As for the list

Duke Johnson or Taiwan jones?  I'd probably lean taiwan - he was a captain here last year vs. Duke Johnson.  Johnsons role was taken when they drafted Cook.  Send blackshear to the PS.

Hodgins or Kumerow?  I see benefits to both - Kumerow did fumble in preseason action but he's largely the same build as Hodgins.  Hodgins having a nice camp is good for him after having sat on the PS last year behind Kumerow.  

Lewis or Neal?  Neal is a primary backup in the slot, and has experience at safety and linebacker from college.  In addition he's a good special teams player.  Lewis it seems has been surpassed by new draft picks as well as Jackson.

Matakevich or spector?  Tough call I guess if you want to base keeping players based on a preseason game.  Matakevich has a pretty steep cap hit and would likely have been cut earlier if he wasn't in the plans down the line.  He was also a special teams captain last year.  

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

There are always players like this where you fear they will be plucked from the practice squad by another team. But every team has a whole set of players they are trying to keep, so players like this do tend to safely stay on your practice squad.  

Its almost like 40 players are drafted in the 7th round - plus this list of UDFAs: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/undrafted-free-agents/

11 hours ago, Logic said:

I thought Spector flashed a few times on Saturday.

I don't feel like third string linebackers often make plays that make me sit up and reach for the roster guide and go "who IS that guy?", but that's what happened with #54. Whether it was shedding a block and making a tackle in the hole, looking natural on a few coverage snaps, or timing his blitzes perfectly, I thought Spector looked like a guy with a future in this league. Certainly a roster-able player.

Obviously the next couple weeks will tell us more, but based on camp reports and the first look in preseason, I hope Spector makes the team.

Did good around the line and ST and sucked in coverage. I looked at the roster too, but it was to make sure AJ Klein wasn't still there....

10 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

The blockers and gunners are usually the same guys.  The weather in buffalo is not specifically ideal for someone to just blast off on kickoffs and punts regularly.  As for the list

Duke Johnson or Taiwan jones?  I'd probably lean taiwan - he was a captain here last year vs. Duke Johnson.  Johnsons role was taken when they drafted Cook.  Send blackshear to the PS.

Hodgins or Kumerow?  I see benefits to both - Kumerow did fumble in preseason action but he's largely the same build as Hodgins.  Hodgins having a nice camp is good for him after having sat on the PS last year behind Kumerow.  

Lewis or Neal?  Neal is a primary backup in the slot, and has experience at safety and linebacker from college.  In addition he's a good special teams player.  Lewis it seems has been surpassed by new draft picks as well as Jackson.

Matakevich or spector?  Tough call I guess if you want to base keeping players based on a preseason game.  Matakevich has a pretty steep cap hit and would likely have been cut earlier if he wasn't in the plans down the line.  He was also a special teams captain last year.  

Its almost like 40 players are drafted in the 7th round - plus this list of UDFAs: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/undrafted-free-agents/

I don't think Neal getting cut is under consideration at all...

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.