the Punt god

ProcessTruster

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

If the Colts returner fields that kick at the 14, our guys were at about the 45.  He would have gotten a decent return on it.  Once other teams see film, they’ll put their return guy in better position to field it.  Although, no way on a punt that long the return team could set up their blocks.

It seemed effortless to get the air distance he did.  I wonder if it’s possible for him to kick it even further?

Like this kid over Haack because of a stronger leg and and more importantly, quicker to get the ball off his foot.  I’d like to see how he does with shorter and out of bounds kicks.  I don’t see that being the kick that seals his place in the team.  The day he was drafted did that.  They just needed to make sure he wasn’t a disaster and could hold.  Competition over.

Edit:  Rewatching, I love the roar of the crowd at the 40 when they realize the ball is going the distance.  We sit upper deck, and you expect the ball at a certain part of the arc to descend, that’s when this punt just took off!  It was insane to watch!

Now add Buffalo in season wind and have fun fielding a ball that moves multiple times from 60 yards away. He also has shown hang time in camp.  The ability to bomb it high or blast it long with be an issue.

Edited by Mat68

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Matt has commented every time I hear him about playing in front of so many fans.

He stayed calm and did great his first game.

Way to go Matt.

You ain't seen nothing yet!

I can vouch for senor araiza playing in san diego Yes he experienced college football fans. But clearly and according to him he has never Ever experienced anything like the bills mafia fanbase.  Wait until he goes to away games and witnesses how we travel and represent at away venues. I'm going to love having him as much as he likes being on the Bills. WIN WIN 🙂

this team is Stacked people I'm telling you !~!~!!!! This final roster is going to be POTENT.

m

16 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

Awesome leg. With a little bit more refinement those monster kicks are going to be even more effective. Great start from the rookie.

One thing I don't know regarding araiza is how he will adapt to the cold in WNY .What and if any effect on his performance in Orchard Park

• Like (+1) 2

Real quick, because like all here, I loved the pick and this punt was something. When the pick was made some people said on the board that the gurus dropped him in the draft rankings because he didn't get punts off very quickly. I guess he uses an additional step some don't? I have no idea if this is true or not. I just know he looked to take awhile before unleashing that rocket. I'm curious if anybody ahs heard any follow up on this topic or of it's just been about if he can learn to hold. Looks to be a steal. Almost too good to be true. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

If the Colts returner fields that kick at the 14, our guys were at about the 45.  He would have gotten a decent return on it.  Once other teams see film, they’ll put their return guy in better position to field it.  Although, no way on a punt that long the return team could set up their blocks.

It seemed effortless to get the air distance he did.  I wonder if it’s possible for him to kick it even further?

Like this kid over Haack because of a stronger leg and and more importantly, quicker to get the ball off his foot.  I’d like to see how he does with shorter and out of bounds kicks.  I don’t see that being the kick that seals his place in the team.  The day he was drafted did that.  They just needed to make sure he wasn’t a disaster and could hold.  Competition over.

Edit:  Rewatching, I love the roar of the crowd at the 40 when they realize the ball is going the distance.  We sit upper deck, and you expect the ball at a certain part of the arc to descend, that’s when this punt just took off!  It was insane to watch!

He dropped a short one at theTen when he needed to, providing he’s not just about distance.

• Disagree 1

No offense to Haack but they should let him have a chance elsewhere. Unless Araiza is really dumb and uncoachable, he'll learn to be better with directional kicks, drops in the designed spots, hold for kicks, etc.  Punters are mostly genetics first, then refine it with practice. I think he has the genes part down! It's a kind of talent that maybe Haack would have been better this year but you can't risk losing that leg to another team! 

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I was at the game, and I have never witnessed a punt, like that. it was really 90 yards, gross. -Kicks it from the 10, and it rolls into the endzone? Man....!

Being a Bills fan can leave wounds. I’ve never seen anything like that, but I do remember a crazy long punt. The Evil Empire had 3rd and forever on one of those super windy days. The wind was at their backs. Some shmoe kicked the ball over the line…..and the wind did the rest. It rolled forever and we were unable to stop it.

I’m not sure if this is a slightly repressed memory (for self defense reasons) or just a nightmare, but it’s the kind of stuff that buys a therapist second homes, new cars and fine vacations. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Being a Bills fan can leave wounds. I’ve never seen anything like that, but I do remember a crazy long punt. The Evil Empire had 3rd and forever on one of those super windy days. The wind was at their backs. Some shmoe kicked the ball over the line…..and the wind did the rest. It rolled forever and we were unable to stop it.

I’m not sure if this is a slightly repressed memory (for self defense reasons) or just a nightmare, but it’s the kind of stuff that buys a therapist second homes, new cars and fine vacations. 

I remember we had a 78 yard punt that rolled forever and stopped inside the 5 yard line. I think the surface was hard and the wind helped. Probably back in the 90's. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

No offense to Haack but they should let him have a chance elsewhere. Unless Araiza is really dumb and uncoachable, he'll learn to be better with directional kicks, drops in the designed spots, hold for kicks, etc.  Punters are mostly genetics first, then refine it with practice. I think he has the genes part down! It's a kind of talent that maybe Haack would have been better this year but you can't risk losing that leg to another team! 

The problem is will Araiza out kick his coverage as teams learn to adjust where to put their return man. 

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

The problem is will Araiza out kick his coverage as teams learn to adjust where to put their return man. 

If teams want to put their returners 60 yards away, a 13 yard return would be a net 47. For some perspective, a 13 yard return average would be the highest in NFL history. The highest net punting average in NFL history is 44.5 yards. So basically, if they put someone back 60 and averaged more return yards than anyone ever, the net would be 2.5 yards higher than any punter in history. Lol, teams can’t “adjust.” They just have to deal with trading 10-20 yards every time in the punting game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Almost like he could then shorten and/or directionally kick and force guys to field bounces. Even more fun. 

to be Debbie downer on a monster kick with no evidence of any reason to worry about other ability is silly

40 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

If teams want to put their returners 60 yards away, a 13 yard return would be a net 47. For some perspective, a 13 yard return average would be the highest in NFL history. The highest net punting average in NFL history is 44.5 yards. So basically, if they put someone back 60 and averaged more return yards than anyone ever, the net would be 2.5 yards higher than any punter in history. Lol, teams can’t “adjust.” They just have to deal with trading 10-20 yards every time in the punting game.

Also he could cause real havoc with forcing guys to field one hoppers they can’t fair catch if they go toooooo deep.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Billsfanatixs said:

Missed the game last night, got on this morning to watch that 82 yard punt, anyone else burst out laughin' like, "That is absolutely ridiculous, have i seen that before?"

Had to see if that Monster Boot he uncorked appeared on the all time 100 punters list.

The list loads up and there is this highly athletic 90's Eagles Quarterback picture shows up, "No Way" 

Mind went straight to "Come on Randle, are you serious?" Notice Randall Cunningham, the man can't even let punters feel good about themselves, he is #3 on NFL's All Time Longest Single Game Punts!!!! Omg! In History!

The dude was not the first scrambling QB, but he raised the bar 

Anyway, scrolled down this list and saw Punt God AZA is tied for 19th longest in NFL history. [highlighted in yellow for those who don't wanna admit they are older  but can't see s**t crowd like me].

I will tolerate a great deal of suck to keep this guy, He would have to muff more than several punts for me to start sufferfing about this haha.

Bills have had stellar punters here in the past no joke. but come on, have you ever been more excited to punt the ball? The man has a hell of a start, may the legend continue to grow.

How glad are you all that we are on the right side of the Ass-Kickin?????!!!! 

GO BIlls!

1676699971_PuntLeaders.thumb.png.ea625f9f27ff0dcc26ae1394d2f01819.png

That 98 yard kick was sick. I watched a video of it. 65 or so yards and then bounces forward. Returner picked it up at the one and was tackled at the 2 or 3. That's 96 or 97 net yards.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.