the Punt god

ProcessTruster

8 hours ago, Doc said:

He actually kicked it between the 8 and 9 yard line.  I didn’t see where it landed but the announcer said the 15. 

I clocked it from the 8 to the 16, so 76 yards in the air.  While we can quibble over the exact yardage, dude kicked the ball 3/4 of the length of a football field.

8 hours ago, ticketssince61 said:

SNOWBOY
(Spoken, as Judge) Hear ye, Her ye! In the opinion
Of this court, this child is depraved on account he ain't had a normal home.

RIFF
(Spoken) Hey, I'm depraved on account I'm deprived!

Krup you!

10 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Oh how deprived we are as a society when we call a punter “God”. 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

It’s, “depraved” by the way, so that you get it right the next time…, 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What amazed me was that he didn't look  like he needed to put his entire body into it to get that distance. Not exactly sure how he does it. 

I replayed the tape, and I think he's actually pushing off with his plant leg instead of just planting it.  Notice how he hops and his plant leg comes way off the ground.  I'd love to see a real kicking coach break down his technique, because I've never seen anything like that from a punter.

A lot of people online giving crap about it being a touchback. The guy kicked it from inside his own 10 yard line! Are you expecting a punter to pin the other team deep when you are punting from inside your own 10? If you are punting in that situation then your team screwed up so if you can force a touchback and no return then that is a huge win!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

If the Colts returner fields that kick at the 14, our guys were at about the 45.  He would have gotten a decent return on it.  Once other teams see film, they’ll put their return guy in better position to field it.  Although, no way on a punt that long the return team could set up their blocks.

It seemed effortless to get the air distance he did.  I wonder if it’s possible for him to kick it even further?

Like this kid over Haack because of a stronger leg and and more importantly, quicker to get the ball off his foot.  I’d like to see how he does with shorter and out of bounds kicks.  I don’t see that being the kick that seals his place in the team.  The day he was drafted did that.  They just needed to make sure he wasn’t a disaster and could hold.  Competition over.

Edit:  Rewatching, I love the roar of the crowd at the 40 when they realize the ball is going the distance.  We sit upper deck, and you expect the ball at a certain part of the arc to descend, that’s when this punt just took off!  It was insane to watch!

Edited by davefan66
  • Like (+1) 3

58 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I replayed the tape, and I think he's actually pushing off with his plant leg instead of just planting it.  Notice how he hops and his plant leg comes way off the ground.  I'd love to see a real kicking coach break down his technique, because I've never seen anything like that from a punter.

Yeah, it's like he's getting 2 feet of air jumping with his plant leg. He must be transferring some of that energy to the ball. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Reading the news this morning it sounds like it was 82 yards.  I’ve never seen anything like it.  Definitely a good use of 6th round picks getting Bass last year, and Araiza this year.

It was 82 yards because the LOS was the 18 and it was a TB.  It actually went 78 yards in the air (8 to 14). 

3 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

I couldn't find it online.  Does anyone know if the punt would have been a Bills' record if it was a regular season game?

Not sure.  But I have to believe that 78 yards in the air is an NFL record, even though there have been longer punts (because of rolling).

if the hang time was 4.23 and he got the punt off in 2.1, then the total time for the gunner to get downfield is 6.33.  Assume the gunner runs a 4.4 40 and 20 mph thereafter (typical top speed for that type of athlete), gunner would be about 59 yards downfield from the LOS when the punt landed, so the returner would have to field the punt and take off before the gunner at top speed got to their spot..

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

A lot of people online giving crap about it being a touchback. The guy kicked it from inside his own 10 yard line! Are you expecting a punter to pin the other team deep when you are punting from inside your own 10? If you are punting in that situation then your team screwed up so if you can force a touchback and no return then that is a huge win!

Bills should have taken a delay-of-game to give Araiza more room, they would have been able to down it inside the 5.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

We knew he could do these types of punts. 

He still has 2 questions to answer. Can he pin shorter punts inside the 10-20? How does he handle cold and snowy weather? 

We'll find out this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

Great idea, flipping the field on us just gives Allen more room to rack up yards and break more records!

No, it literally doesn't. The further back they are means the Bills would be closer to the opponents end zone when they get the ball back. Thus less yards to gain.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

That’s how I see it..  if your drive stalls at your own 18... and your opponents next drive starts at their 20. ...on a touchback!  Thats a good thing.. I’d take that in every instance all season long.    Normally in that scenario, you expect the your drive to start closer to the 40yd line... maybe the 35 if its a really good punt.  

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

If the Colts returner fields that kick at the 14, our guys were at about the 45.  He would have gotten a decent return on it.  Once other teams see film, they’ll put their return guy in better position to field it.  Although, no way on a punt that long the return team could set up their blocks.

Just wait until he masters the directional aspects of punting. The guy is a weapon for the fact that he can flip the field position for the Bills. Just think of the MANY times last season they needed that from Haack

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SteveFreeman22 said:

No, it literally doesn't. The further back they are means the Bills would be closer to the opponents end zone when they get the ball back. Thus less yards to gain.

I don't think you understood what I meant...

Having Araiza to bomb these long punts against us with high net punting yards would in fact give Allen longer fields on average to work with.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.