Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Barkley looked far better…granted against lesser competition but so far he is winning the backup race. Higgins is a must over Kumerow…backup outside WR way more important than a special teams guy!

There's a Higgins on the Browns and a Higgins on the Panthers.  I'd probably take either of them over Kumerow, but that's not up to the Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Success said:

That was the best punt I've ever seen in my life.

Hodgins need to make the team.

Had it not been a touchback, I'd agree. A great punt, no doubt. But for it to be the best punt I have ever seen, it would have to been kicked out of bounds or had more hang time and been downed before the goal line. Don't get me wrong, very impressive. But 10 yards shorter and out of bounds is a better outcome.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3

I'm so happy with the job McDermott is doing.   It's pretty impressive that this team went deep into its roster, mixing and matching guys all the time, and they were asked to play the whole offense and the whole defense, and they did it.   They were asked to close out the game the way he expects his starters to, and they did it.  Really efficient, and multiple. 

Have to wonder about Keenum.  Barkley was completely comfortable and just ran things.   I looked like Allen was in the game.  Keenum seemed tentative and didn't know where to go with the ball.  Of course, he had the Colts first team defense to deal with, so it's hard to say.  

I thought Benford was the clear winner against Elam.   He really looks comfortable.   Fits right into the scheme.  Elam may be better in the long-term, because he brings some physical tools that are pretty special, but I don't think he's ready yet.   I wasn't sure Jackson is a lock to start, but his absence from the lineup today makes it pretty clear.   

Bernard didn't impress me.  I was expecting more.  He looks tiny out there at linebacker, and he had some trouble with his coverage.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4

Great win!  IMO...

Trending up:

1. Barkley: if there is a battle for backup QB, he certainly gained ground.  Be curious if they switch him and Keenum in PS game 2. For thr record, I still think Case will be a fine backup, OL was struggling

2. Hodgins: I thought he'd make the team over Kumerow, before this game, and he only helped his cause

3. Blackshear: has been getting some nice compliments from practice, now we see what they've been seeing.  He's got some nice wiggle/solid speed, and decisive.  I don't see him making the team, but it would be a great P/S stash.

4. Entire backup secondary/defense: great performance against mainly colts starters. I'm convinced our backup safeties could start for at least 5-10 teams.  Benford/Elam/Lewis played very well, and nice to see Boogie make a huge splash play (and Bernard for being in the right spot and finishing).

5. Bass/Araiza (even Haack had a nice punt to pin at the 10): all played very well, Bass looks spot on to start the year

Trending down:

1. backup OL struggled at times.  But they not only sat starters, but 2-3 key backups.  I'm not concerned yet

2. DL, but mostly 3rd-4th stringers couldn't contain Ellinger

3. Backup TE.  No clue what to make of Howard "starting" then seeing action late in the game.  Maybe they truly have Knox then just Howard/Sweeney/Morris approx equal.  Either way, Howard doesn't look like a lock

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Kids going to be a problem for defenses.

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Had it not been a touchback, I'd agree. A great punt, no doubt. But for it to be the best punt I have ever seen, it would have to been kicked out of bounds or had more hang time and been downed before the goal line. Don't get me wrong, very impressive. But 10 yards shorter and out of bounds is a better outcome.

Was Siran Neal out there, because he might have been able to make it down there in time.

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm so happy with the job McDermott is doing.   It's pretty impressive that this team went deep into its roster, mixing and matching guys all the time, and they were asked to play the whole offense and the whole defense, and they did it.   They were asked to close out the game the way he expects his starters to, and they did it.  Really efficient, and multiple. 

Have to wonder about Keenum.  Barkley was completely comfortable and just ran things.   I looked like Allen was in the game.  Keenum seemed tentative and didn't know where to go with the ball.  Of course, he had the Colts first team defense to deal with, so it's hard to say.  

I thought Benford was the clear winner against Elam.   He really looks comfortable.   Fits right into the scheme.  Elam may be better in the long-term, because he brings some physical tools that are pretty special, but I don't think he's ready yet.   I wasn't sure Jackson is a lock to start, but his absence from the lineup today makes it pretty clear.   

Bernard didn't impress me.  I was expecting more.  He looks tiny out there at linebacker, and he had some trouble with his coverage.   

Elam’s performance today tells you he’s not ready ? That seems strange to me. I thought he played very soundly and looks to be right on track to start on the 8th

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.