Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills second string would win the AFC South.

They (and our 3rd string) beat Miami in 2020 by like 30 points, in that game they had to win to get to the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Bills second string would win the AFC South

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If I'm a coach and we're punting from the 10 yard line, I'll take the opponent starting at their 20 everytime all day everyday and twice on Sundays!

Once MA gets acclimated, he will have a bunch of schemed punts in his arsenal.

Sideline directional punts could net 55+ yards without a chance of a return.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

If I'm a coach and we're punting from the 10 yard line, I'll take the opponent starting at their 20 everytime all day everyday and twice on Sundays!

I think everyone would. But once it's clear he has that kind of range, don't you think the opposing teams will keep a returner very deep?  Some of those deep flat punts might be returned for a pretty good chunk of yards. He much better off taming that leg, when the situation demands it. I think he'll be fine with coaching.

I know its only preseason and Barkley did play against the Colts backups while Keenum played against their starters but did anyone feel like Barkley looked more comfortable out there. His decision making seemed quicker as he got rid of the ball faster. I wonder if Barkley can beat out Keenum for the backup start. If Josh doesn't play this Saturday I would like to see Barkley against the Broncos starters.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I know its only preseason and Barkley did play against the Colts backups while Keenum played against their starters but did anyone feel like Barkley looked more comfortable out there. His decision making seemed quicker as he got rid of the ball faster. I wonder if Barkley can beat out Keenum for the backup start. If Josh doesn't play this Saturday I would like to see Barkley against the Broncos starters.

No, Greg.  Just no.  I understand why people are saying things like this, but it's not realistic.  Keenum and Barkley came into the league at the same time and their comparative productivity is not even close.  Keenum's career QB rating is 20 points higher than Barkley's, with a considerably larger data sample.  He's just learning the offense.  That's what preseason is for.

Barkley will be around all year on the PS if needed in an emergency.  He's Josh Allen's designated BFF -- and that's all we want him to be.

• Agree 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:28 PM, Solomon Grundy said:

Winner: Blackshear 

Finally got around to watching the second half last night, but good gawd, Blackshear was all over the place.  My daughter goes to Tech, I watch the games and I was surprised when he wasn't drafted.  We'll see how he does against Denver, but he could make things interesting in an already crowded backfield.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, eball said:

No, Greg.  Just no.  I understand why people are saying things like this, but it's not realistic.  Keenum and Barkley came into the league at the same time and their comparative productivity is not even close.  Keenum's career QB rating is 20 points higher than Barkley's, with a considerably larger data sample.  He's just learning the offense.  That's what preseason is for.

Barkley will be around all year on the PS if needed in an emergency.  He's Josh Allen's designated BFF -- and that's e -all we want him to be.

e -

I think you're correct about this, but the difference in play was startling.   

Keenum has been a successful backup - that is, he has performed as well as you can hope when a quality starter has gone down.  But someone, perhaps in this thread, said that his success has been in classic west coast offenses and with different terminology, so it isn't necessarily the case that he can be as successful in Buffalo as he has been elsewhere.  

It's hard to know why he looked so bad on Saturday.   He was missing throws that we all expect a quality veteran would make.  He clearly seemed uncomfortable.  After the game, he didn't say he played terribly, and he made no excuses.   I kind of liked that.   It was clear that he was frustrated, but his attitude seemed to say, "look, I go out and compete, I do my absolute best.  That's what you got."  Clearly he understood that his best on Saturday wasn't good enough, and I'm sure he went back to work the next day, listening to coaches, and working at getting himself comfortable in the offense. 

We often talk about comfort level, and the two backups showed us what it's all about on Saturday.  Barkley knew what he was doing, completely.   He was like all the other quality subs on the Bills - they came in and did their jobs, they fit in.   Jaquan Johnson was the best example - the guy is just ready to fill in whenever called on.  Barkley got it all - he ran the huddle, he ran things at the line, he maintained good pace, he could run the two-minute drill, he was just comfortable with all of it.  The performance of the two also showed how complicated the QB's job is.  A receiver can join the team in May and know what he's doing, mostly, by August.  A lineman, too.  It's not so easy for a QB.  

I'm anxious to see how Keenum looks this week, and next.  He doesn't have to be perfect, but he needs to improve.  

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, eball said:

Barkley will be around all year on the PS if needed in an emergency.  He's Josh Allen's designated BFF -- and that's all we want him to be.

Yeah - the backshoulder pick looked like a total miscommunication, and the other one was admittedly high, but it hit hands.  

14 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

So I see that people are still ridiculing Tyrod for yet another sub-200 yard passing game - even though he is no longer a Bill.

Tough crowd.

He does sort of embody that “Commitment To Average” that defined the 2000’s until McBeane.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:25 PM, Big Turk said:

So your season outlook based on a game you didn't watch, which was the first preseason game in which not all players played(namely JT)?

If there could be a more meaningless statement that could be made, I'd like to hear it.

Yes. Your statement was entirely meaningless. I saw enough of the colts last year, know what I saw in the clips I saw and know a little bit about football.

Save this comment for the end of the season. We will talk. Gambling isn't allowed but I promise I'm right. 

But, hey, glad you got to write a reply and get emoticons. It's what makes this site so peachy keen. 🤘

Also, why I pretty much despise it these days.

1 hour ago, Boyst62 said:

Yes. Your statement was entirely meaningless. I saw enough of the colts last year, know what I saw in the clips I saw and know a little bit about football.

Save this comment for the end of the season. We will talk. Gambling isn't allowed but I promise I'm right. 

But, hey, glad you got to write a reply and get emoticons. It's what makes this site so peachy keen. 🤘

Also, why I pretty much despise it these days.

Why do you hate emoticons??

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.