Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

16 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

Colts OL is lousy. They won't win 10 games like that. Ryan won't survive 9 games

Their LT looks good though. Fast feet, shifting balance and good vision to mirror his defender

Whoever 55 is for us reminds me of a young Hughes. Runs wild, over pursues, doesn't get himseld into a winning outcome despite "being in the backfield" and "making pressure."

I did not watch them game. Just listened.  On the few clips I have seen I don't see the Colts winning more than 9 games. 

So your season outlook based on a game you didn't watch, which was the first preseason game in which not all players played(namely JT)?

If there could be a more meaningless statement that could be made, I'd like to hear it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I got to go to the game with my family - nice win and I appreciate getting to see live football for $5 a ticket - very nice.

As we really break down the roster there are a couple of things that I think are changing that may impact roster spots.

1) Elam and Benford looked legit at CB and with White and Jackson - that gives you 4 outside CBs.  I think they also like Cam Lewis and McCloud and I believe they got some run as gunners on ST.  

I am wondering if maybe the argument of Kumerow versus Hodgins isn’t maybe impacted by these 2 CBs.  If Lewis or McCloud can provide some ST plays - maybe it allows Hodgins to get passed Kumerow as you replace Kumerow with let’s say Lewis.

2) LB play - Both Spector and Bernard got a lot of playing time and both looked up to playing in this league.  Bernard was always making this roster and with Edmunds, Milano, and Dotson - I think that gives you 4 locks.  Spector - I think is looking like a PS player because I think the Bills value the Matakevich ST ability, but whereas at the beginning of Training Camp - I had those 5 sort of locked in and Smith as a sort of filler - Spector has opened my eyes and with Andre Smith getting 6 games suspension  - there might be an opening for him.

3) RB - This has not changed much from an early off season prediction, but I think Singletary, Moss, and Cook were and are locks.  Moss showed exactly what he needed to to ensure his spot.  Cook did not show much, but the essentially 3rd string OL against 1st team defenders like Deforest Bucker meant there was little space.  Blackshear showed out and I have heard/seen good things in camp.  Right now I think Blackshear is still on the outside looking in, but like the Hodgins/Kumerow battle - Blackshear/Taiwan Jones could end up as a potential changing of the guard depending on the team needs.  

I believe strongly one of Kumerow/Jones is making this team (and maybe both by the end), but with Lewis and McCloud seeing ST action - depending upon other needs I could see Hodgins definitely and/or Blackshear potentially making this roster to balance out positional needs.  Blackshear has the biggest uphill because of Gilliam.

4) TE production - this group was atrocious with really Quintin Morris showing anything.  We know Knox is making the team, but I am not sure if any of the remaining 3 guys now deserve a spot.  Where this could impact the RB room and make a space for Blackshear is if they need to consider Gilliam more as a TE because of the lack of talent - it could create an extra spot, but right now I still doubt it.

5) The 2nd/3rd string DLine/DE combos looked alright to me - I feel for him, but I think Shaq might be a cut candidate.  The DTs also seem set with Settle, Jones, Phillips, and Oliver.  I count 8 locks on the DLine and I expect they will try to keep 9 overall.  Shaq, Love, and a host of DTs are battling for 1 spot - I think it will go to a more versatile guy and therefore I think Shaq might be in trouble.

I love this time of year to try and fit pieces together to construct a team and find ways to keep guys you want.  I find the choices made by McD versus Reich to be interesting.  Frank choosing to play starters into the 2nd quarter versus Sean sitting starters and several high ranking #2’s the entire game.

Fascinating.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, wjag said:

I need to see how our new punter looks in the wind before I’m ready to anoint him.  He certainly didn’t hurt his chances yesterday.  

Good observations Wjag. But others have said this about Araiza, or something similar, so I’ll pick on you on their behalf:

What difference does that make? It’s not like Haack is some kind of wind and cold weather punting savant. He was slightly below average in every condition last year. We know what we have with him—not much. Even the fish let him walk. Really, what are we waiting to see?

There, I’m done. 

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Great interview, and glad to see the young guys have success early.

One thing that really stands out in this draft class, is the humble & "love the game" attitude they all have. Beane and Coach often talk of the Bills "dna", they clearly look for guys with these attributes.  But when these mental aspects and talent align, look out.  I think we can start to see this has the potential to be a very very good draft class

Some of the press ask the dumbest questions, leaving the players searching for a halfway intelligible answer.  

• Agree 1

This place is in mid season form with all the BACKUP QB angst. Hahaha my god it’s preseason game 1 with a west coast guy learning the EP system. Relax, have a beer, Keenum will be fine. I’m more concerned with who’s going to be our 4th RB and if Da’Rick will finally fulfill his potential 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.