Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

15 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

OJ Howard being on the field on 35% of the snaps surprises me. I assume it surprises most of us. I thought this guy might be a difference maker in the offense, but he just seems to be a no-show.

Yeah, one game sample size but a big ho-hum.

14 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

Tasker either misspoke or he’s an idiot. The play they scored was on a RB wheel to the right side of the offensive formation. Elam was lined up on the left side and clearly got picked because he was in man coverage. He was on the crosser. It was either on the CB on the other side or one of the LBs

Tasker is just REALLY BAD at his job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OJ Howard is not the same athlete he was before he started having medical issues with his ankle, his foot, and his achilles.

It's a fair question as to whether he'll ever regain his previous athleticism.

Obviously his size is an asset but I haven't seen any evidence of burst or suddenness from him yet.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

After watching game, reading TBD and thinking about it, here are my new takeaways

Was hoping to see more from Cook.  So much post draft hype.  Didn’t really stand out in game behind patchwork OLine. 

Never really paid attention to Benford and Spector before yesterday’s game. In fact I was mixing up Bernard and Benford. 

I think Tim Settle is going to be the real deal.  A better assessment might have been possible if JT was in the backfield.

Crowder should have been given more looks.  One bad pass can’t be the final assessment on him.

Tenuda was the most visible OLinemen yesterday. Also surprised Ford was only in for a handful of plays.  

Basham looks faster and stronger.  

Ryans lack of mobility is going to be a problem for the Colts.  You know exactly where that statue will be. 

I need to see how our new punter looks in the wind before I’m ready to anoint him.  He certainly didn’t hurt his chances yesterday.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, wjag said:

After watching game, reading TBD and thinking about it, here are my new takeaways

Never really paid attention to Benford and Spector before yesterday’s game. In fact I was mixing up Bernard and Benford. 

No problem Steve.

Good job though keeping Kaiir and Kahlil straight.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wjag said:

Was hoping to see more from Cook.  So much post draft hype.  Didn’t really stand out in game behind patchwork OLine. 

Hard to do with only 11% of the snaps in the game and probably fewer touches.

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I keep forgetting about Austin.  Not sure where he fits.

Is he injured or did someone give him the wrong directions to the stadium?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Foothills said:

OJ Howard is not the same athlete he was before he started having medical issues with his ankle, his foot, and his achilles.

It's a fair question as to whether he'll ever regain his previous athleticism.

Obviously his size is an asset but I haven't seen any evidence of burst or suddenness from him yet.

OJ Howard NEVER was the player people hoped for when he came out of college.   I think he outperformed his abilities in college simply because he played on the best team in the country, and as a result he got wide open often.   In the NFL, he never came close to being the force that some people thought he would be.  

When I thought when the Bills signed him that somehow the Bills might resurrect his career, but I never expected much more than we've seen from him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This game went about perfectly from a coaching evaluation standpoint. No critical injuries, lots of in-game situations. 

Really impressed with Shakir. I don't think he should need to return kicks to easily make the team. He's 'beyond' his draft status in the same way Gabe is. 

This kid is a real good player. 

Benford is exciting where he's at. 

Boogie had a big play. Isiah had a huge catch. 

Obviously Araiza had an insane play.

Not worried about Cook he will have his time to shine later. 

Liked what I saw from Elam actually. The TD gave up is just what the preseason is for to teach 'awareness of your surroundings.' But he had a great pass break up on a short I want to say slant and you have to be sharp to break up a short pass like that. Also love that he can keep up with burners. He needs development but being able to keep up with burners is an added dimension to the team.

Zach Moss had a plus game.

Spector had a plus game although made some mistakes, had a nose for the ball. 

I also really like Cam Lewis as someone who played really well but didn't get any recognition. I remember him making more than a few nice plays.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

OJ Howard NEVER was the player people hoped for when he came out of college.   I think he outperformed his abilities in college simply because he played on the best team in the country, and as a result he got wide open often.   In the NFL, he never came close to being the force that some people thought he would be.  

When I thought when the Bills signed him that somehow the Bills might resurrect his career, but I never expected much more than we've seen from him. 

Here's something though, except for his vertical jump he had very good measurables at the combine.

I believe that OJ Howard's athleticism is at a lower level today than it was then due to his multiple lower body injuries.

Just now, Sierra Foothills said:

I believe that OJ Howard's athleticism is at a lower level today than it was then due to his multiple lower body injuries.

That's probably true, but what does that say?  In his "prime," if you want to call it that, he wasn't very good, and due to injuries he's now past his prime.   So, why are we surprised that he isn't showing much?

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Here's something though, except for his vertical jump he had very good measurables at the combine.

Howard tore his achilles. Literally 0% of pro athletes have returned to 100% of their prior athleticism after that injury. Some can get close, and that's enough to still play at a high-ish level, but never as well as before the injury. It's the worst injury an athlete can have.

OJ Howard will never be as athletic as he was during the healthy stretches of his first 2 seasons, but he'll be OK as a pass catcher if Knox misses time. Howard would be light years better than Sweeney if that happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Great interview, and glad to see the young guys have success early.

One thing that really stands out in this draft class, is the humble & "love the game" attitude they all have. Beane and Coach often talk of the Bills "dna", they clearly look for guys with these attributes.  But when these mental aspects and talent align, look out.  I think we can start to see this has the potential to be a very very good draft class

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.