Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Situational awareness! I remember when I read his scouting report and it said “a coach’s dream”

This kid is going to be good.  The way he moves, catches and runs looks like a NFL vet.  He should be no further than our 5th WR.  

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Situational awareness! I remember when I read his scouting report and it said “a coach’s dream”

I had said it after I saw his first interview: this guy is my favorite Bill.

I hope he will be as good as he seems.

Edited by No_Matter_What

16 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

This kid is going to be good.  The way he moves, catches and runs looks like a NFL vet.  He should be no further than our 5th WR.  

Watching how we used him, I can’t imagine he’s not a guy who gets legit playing time this year.

Inside/Outside versatility, along with the ability to be used in that Woods/Kupp lead blocker role in the run game.  

He looks like WR4 to me, with Crowder (if he makes the team) being slot depth / McKenzie insurance. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Blackshear needs to be an IR stash too

I don't know.  It would be a surprise...and one pre-season game is not a great sample...but he has skills that would make it tempting to keep him.  He looked great on returns.  His route running and catch skills also make him a good Cook replacement should we need one.  That would seem to be the Duke Johnson role.  Keeping him might also mean needing to cut Moss.   Coaches may want a power runner...and Moss looked good in that role yesterday...but Blackshear seems to be more of the kind of back they want in this offense.  If he and Shakir can man return duties that would also be another issue taken care of.  It's going to be interesting who they keep.

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Watching how we used him, I can’t imagine he’s not a guy who gets legit playing time this year.

Inside/Outside versatility, along with the ability to be used in that Woods/Kupp lead blocker role in the run game.  

He looks like WR4 to me, with Crowder (if he makes the team) being slot depth / McKenzie insurance. 

I keep forgetting about Austin.  Not sure where he fits.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I noticed this.  It’s a good habit to have because when it matters it can kill you if you just flip the ball or leave it.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, The Dean said:

Had it not been a touchback, I'd agree. A great punt, no doubt. But for it to be the best punt I have ever seen, it would have to been kicked out of bounds or had more hang time and been downed before the goal line. Don't get me wrong, very impressive. But 10 yards shorter and out of bounds is a better outcome.

I honestly think 10yards shorter means the punt return guy fields it at the 20 yd with room to get up to speed.

BY  booming it, it's placed at the 20 (its only 25 on kickoffs ?)

NOW, I do agree if it's downed anywhere inside it's better.. But as you said either way it was impressive.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, FLFan said:

According to some around here, his arms are too short to play outside, so today’s performance must have been a mirage.  I thought he looked very good on the outside.

Yup, some folk are so wedded to their own talking points that they refuse to see the forest through the trees. They are entertaining though. 

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I watched the game at Tavern on The Tracks in Charlotte and I'm standing at the bar next to a young guy wearing a Bills Shakir jersey. I say to him that it's great that he's jumping on the Shakir train early. He proceeds to tell me that he is Khalils brother. I have to admit I only half believed him, but I did some Googling this morning and found him. He is indeed Khalils brother.

So for any fans going to the Panthers preseason game keep an eye out for him, probably the only guy wearing a Shakir jersey.

• Awesome! (+1) 7

1 hour ago, No_Matter_What said:

I had said it after I saw his first interview: this guy is my favorite Bill.

I hope he will be as good as he seems.

I just love the quote on his draft profile from NFL.com

Sources Tell Us

"Better person than player and he is a hell of a player. You have to make your focus all the things he does well because he's going to keep doing them as a pro." -- Personnel director for AFC team

• Like (+1) 4

13 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

OJ Howard being on the field on 35% of the snaps surprises me. I assume it surprises most of us. I thought this guy might be a difference maker in the offense, but he just seems to be a no-show.

Yeah, I didnt think Howard was great or anything but I definitely thought he would be a clear #2 and so far he hasn't shown he is any better than the scrubs after Knox that we already have.

7 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

I'm surprised by the number of Keenum sucks overreactions.

He had a bad game for sure. But he has accomplished so much more in NFL than Matt Barkley that its not even a comparison. Saying that Barkley deserves to be QB2 after one preseason game (where Barkley played against lesser players) is weird to say the least.

I agree with your take, save for the part about being surprised. Backup QB overreactions on this board ( and from Bills fans in general) are as sure as the sun rising in the East. Close 2nd would be preseason RB overreactions.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.