Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Can anyone project kumerow vs hodgins in terms of special teams contributions? Kumerow is a known quantity, but I have no idea what hodgins has been up to in camp wrt teams

Hodgins keeps playing well I'll be pissed if he is cut in favor of Kumerow.  Find someone to take his spot on ST or just have punt god kick that ***** a mile high so there is no return chance.  TD Jesus was a great story after that first quick TD catch from Allen but hasn't done ***** since.  ST is important but IMO doesnt override having good talent in WRs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, chongli said:

I didn't get to watch the game. How did James Cook and Duke Johnson look? Judging from the box score, not so good.

The Duke was awesome as a KR, had two nice returns, one called back by penalty.  As an RB, not so much.  Cook looked great catching passes out the backfield.  As an RB, not so much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

Tasker either misspoke or he’s an idiot. The play they scored was on a RB wheel to the right side of the offensive formation. Elam was lined up on the left side and clearly got picked because he was in man coverage. He was on the crosser. It was either on the CB on the other side or one of the LBs

Yeah, and the pick had nothing to do with why the RB was left wide open.

I watched it back a few times. The Bills were in 4-3, Cover 1 with a single high safety, playing man to man with a MIC blitz by Spector.

There were 2 wide outs to the left of the formation covered by the two cbs. There were 2 TEs to the right of the formation, and a single RB to the qbs right. 

Andre Smith was playing LB to the 2 TE side, McCloud (presumably the second safety) was down in the box covering the outside...

As soon as the first TE runs a drag, Smith jumped his route, which looks like it was supposed to be covered by Bernard. This left the second TE free to run vertically up the field. McCloud had to cover him or else it's a free route straight to the end zone... But bc there was no one left to cover the back on the wheel, same result...

Smith should have left the drag to Bernard, covered the TE vertically up the field, and McCloud would have covered the wheel route. But Smith and Bernard end up covering the same TE, and there's no one left to cover the RB. 

Imo, Andre Smith is at fault. And wouldn't be the first bone headed play of his. 

Edited by Motorin'
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Whoever 55 is for us reminds me of a young Hughes. Runs wild, over pursues, doesn't get himseld into a winning outcome despite "being in the backfield" and "making pressure."

Boogie Basham is now wearing 55.  When saw the strip sack, I said "Nice play Jerry!!"  Oops...

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Duke was awesome as a KR, had two nice returns, one called back by penalty.  As an RB, not so much.  Cook looked great catching passes out the backfield.  As an RB, not so much.

I was actually surprised.  I expected to see Cook get some more work than he did.  He didnt seem to get all that much playtime.

• Like (+1) 2

Trending up:

Bills rush defense 

Benford

Blackshear

Shakir

Hodgkins

Moss

Settle

Bashum

Trending down:

Crowder

Keenum

Haack

Howard

Kumerow

I was pretty happy how the Bills twos played against the Indy ones.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Have to wonder about Keenum.  Barkley was completely comfortable and just ran things.   I looked like Allen was in the game.  Keenum seemed tentative and didn't know where to go with the ball.  Of course, he had the Colts first team defense to deal with, so it's hard to say.  

I think Keenum probably is still thinking about the offense - OK, what does this play call mean in the context of this D which is lined up against me? 

The biggest reservation I had about Keenum as a backup QB is that AFAIK he's strictly been a WCO/Coryell guy his entire career.  The plays that get called in each system of a modern NFL offense are more or less the same, but the Erhardt-Perkins terminology is completely different.  Structured differently.

It's like Case Keenum has been an Italian speaker all his life, and this isn't even Spanish or French, he's being asked to understand and interpret Norwegian.  Yes, he's been doing it every day against the Bills offense, but figuring it out against an opposing defense where he has to decode the play call verbiage and map it onto what he sees in front of him is different again.

It's fundamentally akin to the old saw that in a camp battle between a rookie and an incumbant veteran, the veteran will always win, because he's so much more familiar with the offense but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the better player.

Hopefully Keenum will "Get It" sooner rather than later.  I'm pretty sure that's the reason McD gave him 3Q.  I'm also pretty sure that Keenum is enough of a professional that he'll see he has to level up his game.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

Blackshear for PS for sure.  Made some nice runs and pass receptions and looked smooth doing it.  Not a jitterbug by any means, but he seems to know when to time his cuts. 

I thought he was done for the game after the injury but when the camera caught him on the sidelines you could just see how badly he wanted to be out there, ankle or not.  Although he did not touch the ball once he came back in, he willed himself to there and the coaching staff rewarded that force of will. 

That's the kind of attitude and player I want to see on the PS. 

He's not Singletary or Moss or Cook.  He's not this years Duke Williams.  He may never see a snap in a regular season NFL game for the Bills or any other team, but it sure as ***** won't be because he quit on himself. Dude wants it, and that kind of attitude is great for team culture. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

This felt expected given some of the hype around him at camp. I was really surprised at how well Hodgins performed.  If he could play special teams he would have definitely have a shot at pushing out Kumerow.

Hodgins was absolutely playing special teams today. The one Colts kick return that had some success (going right to left) towards the near sideline was a cut inside Hodgins (who technically kept contain on the play, so I'm wondering if the 2nd layer pursuit was the issue). I don't know if he plays punt teams, though. Probably just kickoffs. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Beerball said:

👍 I don't see the need to carry two vets like Keenum and Barkley. Cut one and pick up a young castoff who you think has potential.  If you're down to your third string QB you're screwed anyway so you may as well go with a youngster.

Easy.  One is the back up.  The other is Josh’s good friend. 

2 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I was disappointed he didn't see the hole in when they were in the Red Zone. If he cuts to the right, that's a possible TD. Hopefully his vision gets better.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Dr Krentist
Added sentence
  • Agree 1

I'm surprised by the number of Keenum sucks overreactions.

He had a bad game for sure. But he has accomplished so much more in NFL than Matt Barkley that its not even a comparison. Saying that Barkley deserves to be QB2 after one preseason game (where Barkley played against lesser players) is weird to say the least.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 10

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.