Postgame thread:Bills 27 - Colts 24

YoloinOhio

49 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Beside the pick play, in which Tasker made it out to seem Elam was responsible for the blown coverage, what other plays was Elam late on or out of position?

I don't have notes or film, but I think there was another play earlier when he was really slow on a break to the sideline and he was just chasing the play.   

Also, the deep ball up the right sideline, he ran great with the receiver, but he didn't find or make a play on the ball.  

Someone noted that he didn't look great in the run game, and I noticed that also.  Benford was attacking ball carriers.  

Don't overstate what I said.  I just thought he played more like a rookie and Benford didn't.  

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, TPS said:

This one against the all-pro is even more impressive:

If our d line can stop the run this year and get consistent pressure with 4, watch out! 

This defense could be something else. 

Hard not to get overly excited for the upcoming season. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Benford really made a name for himself after this game too.  He's gonna have to make the roster or somebody else is gonna scoop him up.

You know, the news we get out of training camp is always kind of muted.   We kept hearing, for the last week, that Benford was playing well and maybe was fighting himself into the competition.   After watching tonight, I thought that those reports were understated.   He looked to me like a guy who's ready to play in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

According to some around here, his arms are too short to play outside, so today’s performance must have been a mirage.  I thought he looked very good on the outside.

He was great. I was looking forward to seeing him play and he goes and catches one right away, then just kept grabbing them throughout the game

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't have notes or film, but I think there was another play earlier when he was really slow on a break to the sideline and he was just chasing the play.   

Also, the deep ball up the right sideline, he ran great with the receiver, but he didn't find or make a play on the ball.  

Someone noted that he didn't look great in the run game, and I noticed that also.  Benford was attacking ball carriers.  

Don't overstate what I said.  I just thought he played more like a rookie and Benford didn't.  

Elam’s strength is man coverage. That showed tonight. 
Benford has good experience playing zone from college. 
Both will play a role this year it looks like. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought Elam in his first game played very well, especially on the first pass breakup against the Colts first team offense.

Bills coaches are just DB Whisperers.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Beside the pick play, in which Tasker made it out to seem Elam was responsible for the blown coverage, what other plays was Elam late on or out of position?

Tasker either misspoke or he’s an idiot. The play they scored was on a RB wheel to the right side of the offensive formation. Elam was lined up on the left side and clearly got picked because he was in man coverage. He was on the crosser. It was either on the CB on the other side or one of the LBs

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

40 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Benford really made a name for himself after this game too.  He's gonna have to make the roster or somebody else is gonna scoop him up.

Not sure if you heard, but during the game it was mentioned that another GM had asked Cynthia Frelund about Benford…her response to the GM was that he will not be available after the final cut…

I know she is not the Bills FO, but thought it was interesting none the less…👍

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This is a good clip to anyone who is learning football. Look at the entire Bills DL and the Colts OL. Look at the distance the DL keeps off of the OL body.

68 of the colts brings the Bills Defender into his body for full leverage and defeats the defender. You can see the player off leverage and being turned by the Colts player.  He lost this battle. On the 2nd step he made, he reached too far extending his leverage and shows poor hand battling.

Settle kept his balance kept the DL off of him and away from his body to win.

Textbook. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Who would have thought 3-4 years ago, that the Bills would have such amazing depth that we'd all be obsessed with a rookie Punter? The Punt God is gonna be an animal. If the punter can pin the opponent to the 20 yard line or less every time we have to punt, that is amazing. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Tasker either misspoke or he’s an idiot. The play they scored was on a RB wheel to the right side of the offensive formation. Elam was lined up on the left side and clearly got picked because he was in man coverage. He was on the crosser. It was either on the CB on the other side or one of the LBs

Yea, it seemed odd to me as well. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Colts OL is lousy. They won't win 10 games like that. Ryan won't survive 9 games

Their LT looks good though. Fast feet, shifting balance and good vision to mirror his defender

Whoever 55 is for us reminds me of a young Hughes. Runs wild, over pursues, doesn't get himseld into a winning outcome despite "being in the backfield" and "making pressure."

I did not watch them game. Just listened.  On the few clips I have seen I don't see the Colts winning more than 9 games. 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

My apologies, I guess I conflated the level of your concerns with that of other posters.

I've literally posted that if they want to carry barkely for his charming personality they should make him a coach or carry a developmental QB in his place. I don't think it's something critical though as you can always ***** someone else developmental QB if you really want one though. 

👍 I don't see the need to carry two vets like Keenum and Barkley. Cut one and pick up a young castoff who you think has potential.  If you're down to your third string QB you're screwed anyway so you may as well go with a youngster.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.