Bills disappointed in Elam's potential to contribute this year? (unfounded internet rumor)

Einstein

If there is any truth to this expect the Bills to make a move for a veteran DB sooner than later, either FA or trade.

One thing is for certain though right now is that you can't tell the difference between a 6th round rookie DB and 1st round rookie DB when looking at how Benford and Elam have performed respectively. In fact it's not even crazy to suggest that Benford looks like the better player and 1st round pick so far.

Either way don't be surprised if this secondary struggles big time the first half of the season especially if White isn't ready until midseason which I still think is the reality many fans aren't understanding.

• Eyeroll 2

26 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If there is any truth to this expect the Bills to make a move for a veteran DB sooner than later, either FA or trade.

One thing is for certain though right now is that you can't tell the difference between a 6th round rookie DB and 1st round rookie DB when looking at how Benford and Elam have performed respectively. In fact it's not even crazy to suggest that Benford looks like the better player and 1st round pick so far.

Either way don't be surprised if this secondary struggles big time the first half of the season especially if White isn't ready until midseason which I still think is the reality many fans aren't understanding.

There isn't.  At least not after Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Doc said:

There isn't.  At least not after Saturday.

I'm not sure our second string defense that was out there isn't better than several teams starting defense. That's scary.

Edited by Big Turk

• 3 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 11:52 AM, Einstein said:

Tough to trust random people on the internet but I found this story from a fan potentially concerning. The fan who wrote this has been a member of that Bills forum for 19 years, so I'm hoping he wouldn't just make this up.

"One of the beat writers was at a wedding I was at this past weekend. Not gonna say who. He 'says' that word around camp is that Elam isn’t anywhere near where the Bills had hoped in terms of starting week one or contributing." (link)

I know there have been reports that he has struggled at times, but I hadn't yet seen anything that indicates that the Bills are realizing that Elam is just not ready to contribute. Especially upsetting with reports than McDuffie has looked impressive in Chiefs camp. 

This random internet source may have been onto something.

We are 3/4 through his rookie season and Elam was benched for a second straight week on defense. 

Our 1st round pick is playing special teams.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

We are 3/4 through his rookie season and Elam was benched for a second straight week on defense. 

I'd rather not see this brain trust make anymore draft picks if 1st round picks become special teamers.  

Edited by CoudyBills
Spell teamer correctly
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Then maybe he should stop missing tackles in the run game and getting beat in the pass game.

If he isn't doing either well, he needs to be off the field. At least the other DBs play the run well for the most part.

Obviously the coaches are not happy with something. They see him every day in practice.

They've allowed 10 points two games in a row on D. I think overall they are doing fine with him not in there...

It's up to him to improve...I am sure the coaches have told him what he needs to work on.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Then maybe he should stop missing tackles in the run game and getting beat in the pass game.

If he isn't doing either well, he needs to be off the field. At least the other DBs play the run well for the most part.

Obviously the coaches are not happy with something. They see him every day in practice.

They've allowed 10 points two games in a row on D. I think overall they are doing fine with him not in there...

It's up to him to improve...I am sure the coaches have told him what he needs to work on.

That may be all well and good.

The problem is that when you invest an asset of this caliber into a player, he should be a large contributing factor playing meaningful snaps that have an impact on the game. 

Wether it’s on him to improve, or the coaches to get him there, is pointless right now mid-season. The problem is that they HAVE to do this and he, for whatever reason, is not helping this team at a level which you would expect him to

Dane Jackson is NOT good. That Elam, a 1st round pick can't get in the field over him is alarming. He's a border line bust at this pt. That's a bad miss by Beane. I really think Dane is a huge liability that needs to be replaced. If not Elam, then who? Sounded like Rhodes but apparently not. This stubbornness by McD/Frazier may cost this team this year.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Eyeroll 1

I guess I’m just not understanding the topic Elam was active today and he was out on the field

8 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Dane Jackson is NOT good. That Elam, a 1st round pick can't get in the field over him is alarming. He's a border line bust at this pt. That's a bad miss by Beane. I really think Dane is a huge liability that needs to be replaced. If not Elam, then who? Sounded like Rhodes but apparently not. This stubbornness by McD/Frazier may cost this team this year.

That is a McDermitt decision he likes his veterans

• Agree 3

52 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I guess I’m just not understanding the topic Elam was active today and he was out on the field

That is a McDermitt decision he likes his veterans

Until the last drive Dane was burned a lot in the second half. He's been bad the last 3 to 4 games. He's undersized & reacts late. It's been commented on by Joe Bascaglia, Greg Cosell & others & showed up today. This stubborn insistence to rely on Vets by McD is a short sighted weakness. He should play the best player & Dane ain't it. 

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

I thought Elam was doing ok early on. I’m surprised he’s this deep in the doghouse. 

I'll take what I've seen from Elam over what we've gotten out of Jackson the last several games any day. Teams clearly go into games with the mindset that they can pick on Dane easy and often.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.