Bills disappointed in Elam's potential to contribute this year? (unfounded internet rumor)

Einstein

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It honestly would not shock me to see them both make it which means that we’re gonna end up moving on from guys like Cam Lewis Who is gonna get scooped up so quick by the Giants

It would shock me if they both didn’t make the roster.  I consider them to be locks.  It appears that Beane pulled a rabbit out of his hat right when he needed to. 

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

What exactly gives you that “hint of arrogance”? The little I’ve seen on him he comes across as a humble mature professional. Just curious.

Probably from him folding his arms and leaning back after he has the pass break up on Alec Pierce.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nice Vids from Giardi - you can see how much more comfortable Elam is in press - his hold was in off coverage essentially in the slot.

Much as has been said in the training camp - if he is tight and can get his hands on the WR - he is sticky.  If he is off - his technique needs work.

That crossing route was beautiful - that is what killed Wallace as he was better playing off - so a crossing route had tons of room and he lacked speed to make up for it.

I think this thread is bogus - I think the Bills are still learning what Elam can do and I suspect how that will play into the defense.

He was drafted because it allows the Bills some flexibility in how they play coverage and how to attack on offense.  You can see the talent and although Benford may fit better with the traditional off coverage zone plays - I think Elam gives them more options where they run man/zone combo defenses like they were doing with Tre White early last season.

I am super excited to see where this goes because I think they are very deep at CB and I would not be surprised to see them use that depth to go lighter elsewhere on the roster.  You could use Siran Neal and Cam Lewis on ST and not dress Benford on a game day and that allows you to go lighter at WR or RB by maybe eliminating Kumerow or Jones as a ST only player.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Nice Vids from Giardi - you can see how much more comfortable Elam is in press - his hold was in off coverage essentially in the slot.

Much as has been said in the training camp - if he is tight and can get his hands on the WR - he is sticky.  If he is off - his technique needs work.

That crossing route was beautiful - that is what killed Wallace as he was better playing off - so a crossing route had tons of room and he lacked speed to make up for it.

I think this thread is bogus - I think the Bills are still learning what Elam can do and I suspect how that will play into the defense.

He was drafted because it allows the Bills some flexibility in how they play coverage and how to attack on offense.  You can see the talent and although Benford may fit better with the traditional off coverage zone plays - I think Elam gives them more options where they run man/zone combo defenses like they were doing with Tre White early last season.

I am super excited to see where this goes because I think they are very deep at CB and I would not be surprised to see them use that depth to go lighter elsewhere on the roster.  You could use Siran Neal and Cam Lewis on ST and not dress Benford on a game day and that allows you to go lighter at WR or RB by maybe eliminating Kumerow or Jones as a ST only player.

Hard to believe they felt he wouldn't contribute this year before he even played in a pre-season game.  But in any case, I'm sure his performance on Saturday now has them excited about his potential to contribute.  And if not him, Benford.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Doc said:

It would shock me if they both didn’t make the roster.  I consider them to be locks.  It appears that Beane pulled a rabbit out of his hat right when he needed to. 

Probably from him folding his arms and leaning back after he has the pass break up on Alec Pierre.

That’s no different than a fist pump, this is likely a perception issue on your side,  all players have their little celebratory moves. Many of which are really lame, but that. Is my perception.

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

That’s no different than a fist pump, this is likely a perception issue on your side,  all players have their little celebratory moves. Many of which are really lame, but that. Is my perception.

I had no problem with it.  Just saying what might have been perceived as being arrogant.

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

I had no problem with it.  Just saying what might have been perceived as being arrogant.

I guess it could, still though, far less silly than guys who do a dance choreography after catching a pass when their team is still down by two or three scores,  talk about a case of needing to act like you’ve been there before…, 

Edited by Don Otreply

We saw the same thing with Tre White his rookie year. McDermott threw him to the wolves in camp and the preseason games. White made some plays but also got beat a lot. He learned a ton and was ready to go by the regular season and SHOULD have been the DROY.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MJS said:

We saw the same thing with Tre White his rookie year. McDermott threw him to the wolves in camp and the preseason games. White made some plays but also got beat a lot. He learned a ton and was ready to go by the regular season and SHOULD have been the DROY.

Yeah, there is no reason to not let Elam take his lumps now. He needs to be rounding into form by December

Edited by FireChans
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

There sure are.  

https://!@#$.com/forum/55-politics-forum/

For your viewing pleasure, a rousing discussion on the merit of blackface and a thread offering a bounty for identifying info of another member.  

how in the world did you not mention this gem?   https://!@#$.com/topic/51268-willing-to-give-a-reward-to-anyone-who-pms-me-information-on-libills/

I for one, would love to see a little shift in our D, let Tre take his man however he sees fit and the same for Elam if he’s a better press guy.  Run a base zone, but let the corners make it hard on the #1 and # 2 options.  We lost to the chiefs bc of being afraid of touching a guy at the line. Run a hybrid D, make them guess if they are getting press or zone, it’s a nightmare for an O to time things if you can give them a different style out of the same look.

7 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

so it's locked now, is that due to moderation....or successful completion?

Between that place, my experience with other Bills forums, PPP, and the disgusting comments I see whenever the Bills media team makes a public announcement I am beginning to think that affiliation with "Bills Mafia" is going to land all of us on a government watch list one day.

Edited by Jauronimo

21 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I for one, would love to see a little shift in our D, let Tre take his man however he sees fit and the same for Elam if he’s a better press guy.  Run a base zone, but let the corners make it hard on the #1 and # 2 options.  We lost to the chiefs bc of being afraid of touching a guy at the line. Run a hybrid D, make them guess if they are getting press or zone, it’s a nightmare for an O to time things if you can give them a different style out of the same look.

I don’t think they lost to the Chiefs bc of being afraid of touching a guy at the LOS. 

They were afraid of letting guys get behind Wallace because of his lack of speed to catch a WR deep.

When they played the Chiefs in Oct. they played a bunch of man/zone combo - with Tre playing man and Wallace playing an outside zone - forcing the WR into safety help inside.

In the playoffs without Tre - they could not do that because neither Jackson or Wallace had the speed to cover the WRs in man.  They had to play off and play zone - hence why they wanted to move on from Wallace.

it is also a reason I think this unfounded rumor is bunk - because they wanted a guy like Elam with speed and man coverage abilities to be able to mix coverages again.  

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

I don’t think they lost to the Chiefs bc of being afraid of touching a guy at the LOS. 

They were afraid of letting guys get behind Wallace because of his lack of speed to catch a WR deep.

When they played the Chiefs in Oct. they played a bunch of man/zone combo - with Tre playing man and Wallace playing an outside zone - forcing the WR into safety help inside.

In the playoffs without Tre - they could not do that because neither Jackson or Wallace had the speed to cover the WRs in man.  They had to play off and play zone - hence why they wanted to move on from Wallace.

it is also a reason I think this unfounded rumor is bunk - because they wanted a guy like Elam with speed and man coverage abilities to be able to mix coverages again.  

I agree, I think a guy like Elam will give them more flexibility, once he’s ready to go.  He still looks raw, but you get better with reps, so hopefully he rounds into solid form early in the year. 

To the point of the Chiefs game, I think it was a horrendous strategy to allow 2 All-Pros a free release off the line on that last drive, that stinks of fear to me.  You were sitting in zone anyway, you could have at least forced them to work off the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

The slight difference being there was a LOT more carry over from what White did at LSU to what he was being asked to do here than there is for Elam from Florida to Buffalo. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.