Bills disappointed in Elam's potential to contribute this year? (unfounded internet rumor)

Einstein

7 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

If you have a problem with this, you have a problem with most Elite CBs in the NFL throughout history 

No problem, just discussing what I saw. He will be good. Like a lot if rookies, he has some stuff to work on.

What does worry me is an offense like the Rams will take advantage any defensive weakness they see.  If he is a starter day one, I’m sure he will get safety help or whatever they need to do.  This is a top defense so we should be fine.

I loved how quick he is, seemed effortless to get in position and did a good job of being with the receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

I heard Tre White won't be ready until week 2 or 3 at this rate. So yes, Elam might be starting but it won't be because he's ready. Dane Jackson has been getting torched on the daily in camp and he's currently our #1 corner. Yikes

Were you at the wedding too?

• Haha (+1) 2

Elam looked great to me. His natural ability is not something you can coach. As a Gator fan, I can tell you he comes from one of the worst defensive coaching staffs in all of college football and achieved on natural ability alone. If coach can mold him, he will be a great one in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

Elam wasn’t that good in college. I wasn’t a fan of drafting him. However he came to the coaching staff I have complete confidence in coaching up secondary guys. And he has the measurables that the staff seems to like. 

Edited by Floydboy12
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Einstein said:

Tough to trust random people on the internet but I found this story from a fan potentially concerning. The fan who wrote this has been a member of that Bills forum for 19 years, so I'm hoping he wouldn't just make this up.

Lesson #1 

NEVER TRUST RAMDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET 

I mean come on. 

I called out Dunkirk Don early and and people did not like me for it. 

Today. We all know that the legend of Dunkirk Don will love on forever in infamy. 

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

6 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Lesson #1 

NEVER TRUST RAMDOM PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET 

I mean come on. 

I called out Dunkirk Don early and and people did not like me for it. 

Today. We all know that the legend of Dunkirk Don will love on forever in infamy. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e0a752f32751563c292e4505e123f16d.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

What a horrible pick. Wtf were they thinking drafting a high end SEC corner with family legacy in the league who brought notes to his team interviews to discuss football. He is going to be out of the league by time the 53 man rolls around. If he manages to stay on the roster we are going to lose every game because of him. If that happens maybe when Tre gets back and he moves to CB2 and loses to all the number 2 relievers we can finally be rid of him. Good job Beane. I miss Whaley...

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't understand why are so many fans get bent out of shape over the mere suggestion Elam may not be as far along in his development at this stage as we may have wished...

So what? I haven't seen anybody saying "he has no potential!" or  "he's a bust," only that adjusting to this new system may take time. Again, so what? No need for people to act like anyone even mentioning this is a hater or wishing failure upon Elam. Just look at 1st rd CB's from the last several drafts:

2021: 

Jaycee Horn, Panthers - Day 1 starter (injured in week 3, IR for season)

Patrick Surtain II, Broncos - Ronald Darby's Backup (replaced him in week 2 as starter when Darby got injured)

Caleb Farley, Titans - Backup (injured in week 6, IR for season)

Greg Newsome II, Browns - Day 1 starter

Eric Stokes, Packers - Backup (became starter from week 5 onward)

2020:

Jeff Okudah, Lions - Injured, started week 2 before placed on IR end of season (then injured in 2021 home opener & IR'd again)

CJ Henderson, Jaguars - Day 1 starter (struggled with injuries & traded to Panthers early in 2021 season)

AJ Terrell, Falcons - COVID list until week 3, started 14 games

Damon Arnette, Raiders - Day 1 starter (then out of the league after 2 years of legal troubles & injuries)

Noah Igbinoghene, Dolphins - Backup (played all 16 games but only started 2)

Jeff Gladney, Vikings - Starter from week 2 onwards

2019: 

Deandre Baker, Giants - Day 1 starter (waived start of next season due to arrest, out of the league)

2018:

Denzel Ward, Browns - Day 1 starter (All-Rookie team, Pro Bowler 2018 & 2021)

Jaire Alexander, Packers - Backup (started 11 games, Pro Bowler in 2020)

Mike Hughes, Vikings - Backup (started 2 games, bounced between 3 teams since)

Out of all the CB's taken in round 1, only 6 have started week 1, and you have to go back to Josh Allen's rookie season to find a single one of them that even made a Pro Bowl. 

On top of that, 2 of the 6 guys who started are out of the league (Deandre Baker & Damon Arnette), and 2 haven't done much due to injuries (CJ Henderson & Jaycee Horn). Only Denzel Ward (2018) & Greg Newsome II (2021) were week 1 starters & still starting going into the following year. 

Most had to takeover starting spots either through competition or replacement due to injury. Others saw play time but couldn't usurp the CBs ahead of them (like Igbinoghene for Miami). 

TL;DR - Elam not just tearing it up in camp or dominating NFL WR's out the gate is OK. If he's not a week 1 starter, it's OK! If he struggles as a rookie, it's OK! He will have plenty of time to adjust & can be great anyway. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.